Physics time!

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Ok SVTPs finest nerds, who can correctly tell us why there is frost on my windshield when it is only 39 degF outside? Yes, the temperature is accurate. Place your guess below and I'll let you know who all gets it right.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Assuming car was parked inside, then inside air was colder than outside air.

Took car out, frost developed since car windshield temp was colder than outside air temp

FJohnny

Established Member
The one mandatory course in thermodynamics that I had to take sucked big time. Hated it. But it talked about the latent heat of evaporation (or melting, for that matter). It is basically like when you put aftershave on and it feels cold. The alcohol evaporating sucks 'heat' out of the surroundings and you feel cold. Same thing on a cold, windy day if you are in wet clothing. You will be much colder because the evaporation of the water is sucking the heat out of it's surroundings...you!

So, coldish day, high humidity, maybe a bit of wind, the water that condensed on your windshield partially evaporated and the remaining froze as the heat was sucked away.

Or, you accidentally left your car running with the A/C on full and it's a really great A/C.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Heat loss by radiation.

If the rate of heat flow into the windshield by convection from the surrounding air is less than the rate at which it loses energy by radiation, then its temperature can drop until it is below freezing, even if the air temperature is above zero.

Not my words.

Coiled03

Established Member
Yeah, no OP. This isn't physics.

But, let us know when you're ready to bestow your superior knowledge upon us.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
moisture on my windshield (not frost) and ambient temp of 36-38 degrees. Turned on wipers, windshield now has frost on it.

Damn physics. :D

Users who are viewing this thread