Phoenix Trip

zeus201

Established Member
I will be in the area this Sunday through Thursday and looking for recommendations to eat and drink. Any breweries, bars, restaurants...you name it as I will have plenty of time after my training class each day.

If it helps, I am staying near the ASU campus / Cubs spring training area and I do not mind driving around to get to places.

Thanks!

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Dam you'll be right in Tempe. Check out Gordon Biersh, and also four peaks brewery has killer beers and food. Tempe marketplace has a shit ton of places, the thirsty lion there is great. PM me if you have any questions I'm 20 min west of PHX.

Blown 89

Established Member
I wouldn't bother with Gordon Biersh or Tempe Marketplace to be honest. Maybe World of Beers if you're on Mill Ave. Hit Four Peaks on 8th street though. The specials will be on the South side of the bar on a small chaulk board (12"x24"). They currently have Sirius Black (Russian Imperial Stout) and that week will have Hopsquatch (Barley Wine that comes out on the first of the month...they will probably still have some left). Their most well known beer is Kilt Lifter and during your visit they will release a Bourbon Barrel Aged Kiltlifter. If you like American IPA's you can't beat the Hop Knot (or double knot at the end of the month). If there is red meat on the dinner special order it, they do red meat very well. Four Peaks is one of the best breweries in the nation (voted best brewery in the nation earlier this year) so if you like breweries it's the best place to start.

Another great brewery is O.H.S.O. in Arcadia. Their beer selection changes with the breeze but if they have Praying Monk Quad try it. It's a belgium quad, very good. It's a 12% beer so watch it on your drive home....you don't want to mess with the DUI laws here...seriously.

If you like cocktails, mixed drinks, or Scotch hit up Citizen Public House in Old Town. The owner is a scotch fanatic and if you look hard enough some times there are some doozies on the shelf. They're known for their mixed drinks.

Here's a list of some of the best restaurants in the valley. The food scene is pretty incredible here but you'll need to venture out of Tempe and Chandler where chains and generic food dominate:
St. Francis - located in uptown Phoenix.
Rokerj - North Phoenix. Most locals know it as "The Panty Dropper" If you're with a wife or girlfriend get dressed up and hit the basement for a drink and food.
Aunt Chilada's - North Phoenix. Mexican place at the base of Squaw Peak.
Mexican Food Trucks - if you happen to be out in the middle of the night look for food trucks popping up in parking lots. It's authentic Mexican food and probably not licensed. They tend to pop up in the third shift hours and move around a bit.
Fuego Bistro - Uptown. It's hidden away but has great mohitos and amazing food. They're open strange hours so check before you go
Fez - Downtown. Cinnamon dusted sweet potato fries.
Nook - Downtown and Arcadia. Good food nuff said.

Those are within relative driving distances and are all good. I steered you away from the gay bars and restaurants but if you want really good food they're worth looking into. That stuff is mostly downtown and upper downtown but like I said, good food. Old Town Scottsdale has a ton of bars and a mixture of food. The people are dick bags but they're worth putting up with to sit on a pattio on Scottsdale Road and watch huge money cars drive by. Mill Ave has a ton of bars too but it's mostly college kids and people in their 30's that didn't go anywhere in life.

Machdup1

Established Member
If you want to do something different, make the run out to Tortilla Flats. It will get you out of the City and give you a taste of the desert and the old west.

Grab dinner at the Stockyards Steakhouse.

Get breakfast at LoLo's chicken and waffles.

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
Blown 89 summed it up quite well. I lived in the Arcadia area and can vouch for OHSO - good spot with good food. I personally love a restaurant called Chelsea's Kitchen - great spot for dinner, but be prepared to wait. Also, while you are there you should check out some of the hikes if you are active at all - Camelback mountain and Piestawa Peak were my personal favorites. Have fun out there...we are currently working towards buying a second home out there...we miss AZ a lot!

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Feeneys for a bomb prime rib and angels trumpet ale house for a nicd brew scene is good too. Agree with Blown 80 on recommendations. If you have never been to a top golf its a great time. Highly recommend it.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Glad you guys posted these places, been here 2 years now have not many to many of those.

Users who are viewing this thread