PFT ridiculousness

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
I was talking to my roommates and they were telling me about some dumb stuff they do to prep up for a PFT. What are some you have heard of, I'm still laughing at these:

1.) Laxatives a few days before to purge the system of anything that'll slow you down for the run

2.) Icy Hot on the balls before a run... lmfao! He said he ran 20 seconds faster on his 2 mile

3. Shaving your legs the night before to reduce wind resistance on the run

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
All three of those are ridiculous and 1 and 2 are counter productive.

One thing I do that would't help most people is I run 5-8 miles(9 min mile pace) with my IBA on 24-48 hours before the APFT. The concept is that I condition my body to run with 30lbs of extra weight by running for approximately an hour. When I run the 2 mile my body feels lighter for the first mile or so and I feel like I can push myself harder.

Same kind of concept behind doing jump squats while holding a 35lb plate. After a couple sets you do some jump squats without the weight and for the first several reps you will feel like you have never jumped that high in your life.

I'm still collecting data on all this but I've done it several times and it seems I pick up about 15 seconds on my 2 mile time. I typically run it in 12.30-12.45 BTW.

I should add that I run with my IBA on a lot, about once or twice a week totaling about 10-15 miles. Therefore I don't get sore from a long IBA run where most would, which is why my strategy won't work for most.

I know all this sounds ridiculous and probably to same level as the original 3. It seems to be working, however more data needs to be collected

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
call me crazy but how about just some physical exercise daily....:shrug:

Most certainly the best course of action but sometimes there are tricks of the trade that can help squeeze out another couple reps or run just a tad faster. Kind of like the breathe right strips. I know a handful of guys that swear by it. It's not authorized on to use during the APFT though.

For sit ups if you use your elbows to assist in "throwing" yourself up and down you can use that momentum to your advantage and not burn out your abs and hip flexors, saving more for the run.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
All three of those are ridiculous and 1 and 2 are counter productive.

One thing I do that would't help most people is I run 5-8 miles(9 min mile pace) with my IBA on 24-48 hours before the APFT. The concept is that I condition my body to run with 30lbs of extra weight by running for approximately an hour. When I run the 2 mile my body feels lighter for the first mile or so and I feel like I can push myself harder.

Same kind of concept behind doing jump squats while holding a 35lb plate. After a couple sets you do some jump squats without the weight and for the first several reps you will feel like you have never jumped that high in your life.

I'm still collecting data on all this but I've done it several times and it seems I pick up about 15 seconds on my 2 mile time. I typically run it in 12.30-12.45 BTW.

I should add that I run with my IBA on a lot, about once or twice a week totaling about 10-15 miles. Therefore I don't get sore from a long IBA run where most would, which is why my strategy won't work for most.

I know all this sounds ridiculous and probably to same level as the original 3. It seems to be working, however more data needs to be collected

That's been proven to give back problems. I'd be very careful about running in an IBA, especially if you are putting the plates in.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I was talking to my roommates and they were telling me about some dumb stuff they do to prep up for a PFT. What are some you have heard of, I'm still laughing at these:

1.) Laxatives a few days before to purge the system of anything that'll slow you down for the run

2.) Icy Hot on the balls before a run... lmfao! He said he ran 20 seconds faster on his 2 mile

3. Shaving your legs the night before to reduce wind resistance on the run

That's beyond retarded- my old stand by's are:
1- Start prepping minimum 90 days out.
2. Eat healthy- decrease or eliminate alcohol intake.
3. Do LOT'S of interval runs. Add at least a mile and a half to the max run test distance.
4. Do LOT'S of crunches
5. Do LOT'S of susperets of pullups.

Hasn't failed me yet. The other stuff is pure bullshit:nonono:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
3. Do LOT'S of interval runs. Add at least a mile and a half to the max run test distance.
4. Do LOT'S of crunches

Good points. To add my .02, make lifestyle changes. Incorporate daily exercise (varying routines) with decent eating habits and folks wouldn't have a problem with PFT's.

I see a lot of folks loose their careers over being too damn lazy to do anything about their fitness. Using those ideas listed in the OP wouldn't have been a problem if they actually put forth a little effort.

To add, I've seen a few people slam those Monster BFG's, then after a piss go out and run the PFT. Same goes with NoXplode and Jack3D type stuff.

I still laugh my ass off when I see this.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
4. Do LOT'S of crunches

Obviously the best plan is being preppared well in advance but sometimes there are small tricks of the trade that can help. I have consistently maxed out the PT test for 8 years now and I work out about 15 hours per week but there are still some things you can do as extra prep to help squeeze out just a few more reps or run a couple seconds faster.

Unfortunately alot of the most beneficial stuff is not authorized, like breathe right strips or compression socks, shorts and sleeves etc. So learning how to use momentum from your elbows to assist in sit ups resulting in less fatique in the hip flexors and abs can translate to a faster run so on and so on. All the other crap like shaving the legs is pointless. Provides lulz for the rest of us but beyond that pointless.

That's been proven to give back problems. I'd be very careful about running in an IBA, especially if you are putting the plates in.

Problems for people that don't work up to performing rigorous activity for long periods of time with it on. Most people that I know that have accrued back injuries from the IBA were during deployment. Considering that they previously never trained with it on save for a couple field exercises and range time. Then they get deployed, throw on the IBA and start doing foot patrols every day for a year. That will **** you up.

I've been doing it for 6 years now. Along with weekly ruck marches. It is what it is, train as you fight. And thanks to all the working out in IBA from running, pull ups, push ups etc I don't feel boged down by the weight and I don't get sore or tired from wearing it. I ran a half marathon with it on a couple years ago and I would like to work up to a full, although I don't see that being realistic. I think 20 miles will be the max I do with the IBA. But I started really small, just a couple calistenics and a slow 1 mile jog and then gradually progressed to where I am now.

Is it bad for me? Probably in the long run. However I have a job to do and prepare for, so my body will have to take a little punishment if I'm going to be in the best possible "combat" shape until I retire, or change my MOS and get out of a line company.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Obviously the best plan is being preppared well in advance but sometimes there are small tricks of the trade that can help. I have consistently maxed out the PT test for 8 years now and I work out about 15 hours per week but there are still some things you can do as extra prep to help squeeze out just a few more reps or run a couple seconds faster.

Unfortunately alot of the most beneficial stuff is not authorized, like breathe right strips or compression socks, shorts and sleeves etc. So learning how to use momentum from your elbows to assist in sit ups resulting in less fatique in the hip flexors and abs can translate to a faster run so on and so on. All the other crap like shaving the legs is pointless. Provides lulz for the rest of us but beyond that pointless.

Problems for people that don't work up to performing rigorous activity for long periods of time with it on. Most people that I know that have accrued back injuries from the IBA were during deployment. Considering that they previously never trained with it on save for a couple field exercises and range time. Then they get deployed, throw on the IBA and start doing foot patrols every day for a year. That will **** you up.

I've been doing it for 6 years now. Along with weekly ruck marches. It is what it is, train as you fight. And thanks to all the working out in IBA from running, pull ups, push ups etc I don't feel boged down by the weight and I don't get sore or tired from wearing it. I ran a half marathon with it on a couple years ago and I would like to work up to a full, although I don't see that being realistic. I think 20 miles will be the max I do with the IBA. But I started really small, just a couple calistenics and a slow 1 mile jog and then gradually progressed to where I am now.

Is it bad for me? Probably in the long run. However I have a job to do and prepare for, so my body will have to take a little punishment if I'm going to be in the best possible "combat" shape until I retire, or change my MOS and get out of a line company.

For Crunches and pullups there is no kipping allowed- only deadhang for pullups locking out the elbows on the downstroke. For crunches your elbows must touch your thighs and can't go below the bottom of your ribcage, and your hips cannot come off the ground (kipping)- of course it is a bit subjective when it comes to the monitor. But all the "cheats" are taken away.

As far as attire is concerned as long as the socks are white, and the shorts and t-shirts are green- pretty much anything goes- except for toe shoes. And you can't do the test with a listening device. Or do pullups with a long sleeve shirt.

The 3 mile run is the 3 mile run- the best prep is running. No getting around that really.

Just my .02 - not sure how the other branches do it.

Fuerza

Established Member
I don't take supplements N02/Jack'd ect.. of any kind. I just don't see the point when you injest that stuff and then go eat BK or Taco Bell for lunch. Biggest thing I've seen done is using the sauna to loose water weight for a HT & WT test.

I've never really tried any tactics before a PT test, I did use Tiger's Balm during OCS, but they PT'd the crap out of us and I used it because I was sore.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Only thing I do is have Halls or something during the test, once the weather cools down i seem to have issues breathing and it seems to help.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

I have had a series of two back injections recently that can back that up.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
For Crunches and pullups there is no kipping allowed- only deadhang for pullups locking out the elbows on the downstroke. For crunches your elbows must touch your thighs and can't go below the bottom of your ribcage, and your hips cannot come off the ground (kipping)- of course it is a bit subjective when it comes to the monitor. But all the "cheats" are taken away.

As far as attire is concerned as long as the socks are white, and the shorts and t-shirts are green- pretty much anything goes- except for toe shoes. And you can't do the test with a listening device. Or do pullups with a long sleeve shirt.

The 3 mile run is the 3 mile run- the best prep is running. No getting around that really.

Just my .02 - not sure how the other branches do it.

In the Army we do full blown sit ups, which is pretty dumb IMO. During that event you have to keep your fingers interlocked behind the head and your butt cannot come off the ground. The base of the neck has to be above the base of the spine to be considered the vertical position.

It takes a tiny bit of practice but you can use your elbows to assist in building momentum to get up and throw yourself back down faster. I actually find that this helps me with 5-10 reps over the 2 minutes we are allowed. I guess thats more technique than a trick or some crazy wind resistance advantage BS.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
In the Army we do full blown sit ups, which is pretty dumb IMO. During that event you have to keep your fingers interlocked behind the head and your butt cannot come off the ground. The base of the neck has to be above the base of the spine to be considered the vertical position.

It takes a tiny bit of practice but you can use your elbows to assist in building momentum to get up and throw yourself back down faster. I actually find that this helps me with 5-10 reps over the 2 minutes we are allowed. I guess thats more technique than a trick or some crazy wind resistance advantage BS.

We quit doing regular situps years ago due to the copious amounts of very preventable neck injuries. The way I "cheat" on crunches is I fold my arms putting my fingers at the very bottom of my rib cage (in accordance to the order- I have to show the monitors every time it seems, it pays to have been a prior training Chief!!)- I scoot my legs until my calves are touching my hamstrings. That gives me only 4-6 inches of travel. As long as the bottom of my shoulder blades hit the deck on the downstroke it counts. I can knock out a 100 crunches in just over a minute doing this:rockon:

I don't make the rules- I just exploit them!!

03cobrah

Established Member
pft is easy for me i get consistent 280+ just got a 300 on my cft. their are no tricks just train for it and you'll be fine. i used extra weight on pullups with strict form, now i can knock twenty out easy with the energy to do more.

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Im not worried about doing well, my friends are. At a minimum I'll usually get a 290 (recovering from a knee injury, so I'm not into the 12's like I was before). Most of my friends are concerned and are doing retarded stuff to get prepp'd for it. A couple years back someone drank 2 redbulls and took 4 scoops of Jack3d. Had a heart attack and died...

blackfang

Established Member
I always believed in regular PT sessions. However, it was frustrating while on Embassy duty and a fellow Sergeant never had to PT and would smoke right before and immediately after the 3 mile run and still run 17:xx that ****er..:D

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You know how we prepare? We don't because they usually end up telling us the night before so we can't even get hydrated enough to be ready for it the next day. Our platoon still has the highest scores in the command though.

The only Marines I ever hear discussing getting prepared for a PFT or CFT are non 03xx.

Users who are viewing this thread