Peterson priming pump/oil filter combo

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Saw this and wondering if this might be a good thing for those with long term projects and stored cars? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 227

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe for piece of mind. But these engines build oil pressure quick. You could do something similar by holding the gas pedal to the floor for a few seconds while cranking the engine over. I did that with my fresh builds.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Maybe for piece of mind. But these engines build oil pressure quick. You could do something similar by holding the gas pedal to the floor for a few seconds while cranking the engine over. I did that with my fresh builds.
Mine has been sitting for about 3 years in my garage and will probably sit 6 months over fall/winter/spring once it gets back on the road. Near as I can tell, it can’t hurt to prime it after such a long time sitting. I wanted a remote filter anyway so I Ordered one and will get it plumbed up.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

bob i've always been under the impression that for modern distributor-less engines like ours it's important to prime it from an external source. and that using the starter alone won't get pressurized oil up there fast enough with the initial start up.

it could be a case of "it's on the internet so it must be true" lol, but most of the engine building threads i've read here and on the other forums it seems like they always recommend doing this. (not sure how that would affect this thread op since that would get driven by a drill)

but here's a couple of vids i found that talk about it. on the other hand if your rebuilds have suffered no ill effects from it, it could actually be an internet old wives tale

01yellercobra

Established Member
Priming is never a bad thing. And to be honest when I built those engines I didn't know about the garden sprayer trick. Otherwise I probably would have done it. I always primed my push rod engines with a drill.

When I pulled the mod engines apart the only bearing damage I found was the front main bearing that had damage from an overly tight serpentine belt. After learning that lesson they were good.

Users who are viewing this thread