Person2Person transactions via PayPal

JohninAZ4

Established Member
bout to sell my clutch but had to re-activate 10 yr. old PayPal account because I just stopped using it. Never sold here before, so not quite sure how this works. Do I just give my merchant ID# to the buyer who then pays through their account? Before or after shipping it? My debit card is now linked to my PayPal, so does that mean the money will go to my debit or do I have to go through another hoop? I want to transfer it to my bank account but really don't want to link it with PayPal, but even if I do or don't I've heard others say they can (and will) hold/prevent transactions on accounts that have been dormant that long - until they are satisfied that it is being used (what?). Their explanation seems to verify this as well. I've created an invoice (using their forms) for the transaction, clearly stating that I will not be responsible for any damages resulting from shipment, handling or use but do not know how to get a signature other than sending a pdf to the buyer to agree to, sign and return (email) prior to shipping. I know it seems like much, but I'd like to cover all the loose ends. Really just wondering how long PayPal can hold my money hostage and how they can prevent me from tranfering the entire balance to my bank account. Is there a better option? thnx.

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
Ive had the same paypal account 20 years now and use it exclusively for all online transactions.

Before you sell you need references and review the forum rules here for posting for sale threads as well.

You give them your email address and they send you funds oe you can request as it sounds like you have.

All payments and shipping needs to be discussed between you and the buyer. If neither one of you have any references then it may be best to use a 3rd party to protect you both.

If its only a debit card linked and not a bank account then you will have to pay a fee to transfer the money out of your paypal account to your debit card.

Typically when someone sends you funds its in your paypal account almost immediately. it usually takes up to 4 business days to transfer that to your bank account for free. If you have a debit card linked you usually have the option to pay to have it transferred almost instantly.

As far as them holding the funds, the only time Ive ever heard of that was during a dispute.

Speaking of which therea two options to send money through paypal. Ther buyer protection method for services and goods and the non protected method typically used for family and friends. If someone buys something from you with buyer protection then they can cancel the payment at anytime even after they have received the item and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I had a guy local to me that purchased $20k worth of go fast goodies and paid using paypal. 6 months later he declined the transaction so paypal pulled 20k out of my account and gave it to him. I tried to dispute it for months and even got my lawyor involved. They basically said to shovel dirt.

Since then I do not receive payments only friends/gifts.

JohninAZ4

Established Member
6 months later? wtf? no point in even using their service then, since they don't protect the seller in any way. I wonder if ebay is a better route? I'll check it out.
thanx

tistan

Established Member
6 months later? wtf? no point in even using their service then, since they don't protect the seller in any way. I wonder if ebay is a better route? I'll check it out.
thanx
Yep, no one uses paypal anymore because they pulled this kind of scam shit on a lot of people. My wife uses venmo a lot.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
thanx
eBay's (eBay Managed Payments) fees are higher than PayPal's. Their seller protect is decent, but not great. A buyer can easily start a dispute refund process if the item isn't (to them) what is stated in the item description. They usually tend to side with the buyer unless you can provide indisputable evidence to the contrary. Ask me how I know. :( I only use eBay when I have to now. I also no longer use PayPal, except for SVTP monthly support.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have used PayPal for lots of parts from both companies and individuals, mostly SVTPERFORMANCE.COM members but a few others too. Never an issue so far. I never used friends and family. Zero protection for the buyer if you do F&F.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I'll pay people using paypal only via goods and services including the 2.9% + 30 cent fee. I am not a fan of getting money through any online method due to scams. I accept some people only do friends and family so I dont scam them but I will not do it.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
If I use PayPal it's "friends and family" only, I mostly use Zelle now just because it's easier and tied to my banking app so one less thing to download

JohninAZ4

Established Member
thanks for all the tips...guess there is risk in anything we do these days so we'll see how it goes with paypal. My craigslist ad just gets buried by the crazy amount of spammers trying to sell the same stuff everyday and be at the top of searches. Probably would have gotten more visits on ebay but I'd rather sell here first. If I hadn't got an offer by now I would have moved on. Just hope it works out. If not, oh well, not like I've never been royally screwed before (VA pension). At least I won't have to live with the guilt...just the regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread