Performed my LT header install.........and

Brent Davis

Established Member
I must say that from all the threads where removing the k-member is easier, well I wouldn't know really since leaving the k-member in place and just doing it the old fashion way on jack stands with the front of the car up ONLY but as high as i could get it, taking all the stock exhaust off and re-installing the JBA LT's and H-pipe was really easy IMO. No bolts where difficult to access ESPECIALLY when you are using the correct tools. I jacked the engine up only by the transmission. The engine oil pan is too flimsy looking for me to even think about putting the jack on that area. It took me total of 5.5 hours and that included taking my son to work and picking him back up, getting my younger two kids food too so it would have been maybe 4.5 hours total from start to finish

For guys that have the JBA LT's that told me to just use the stock exhaust flange, THANKS as that was the ticket. No exhaust leaks what-so-ever.

All in all, definitely an easy job and again, with the correct tools you won't have any issues. There is a video from CJ pony on youtube but they don't tell you everything that you come up on while using a lift. I got a lot of bolts off the stock headers from the top and also re-installed a lot from the top.

Good luck to anyone that will take on this job. Don't be afraid to do it.

Jonberlin

Established Member
Awesome!!! I'm hoping for a quick problem free install with my header/xpipe and some other goodies soon.
Congrats on the DIY install!!!

Jonny

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Great job!!

I have a lift so I hope that makes things a little easier for me. I was gonna lower k-member but I see that its not nessassary. How does it feel and sound?

Brent Davis

Established Member
Awesome!!! I'm hoping for a quick problem free install with my header/xpipe and some other goodies soon.
Congrats on the DIY install!!!

Jonny

Thanks Jonny but it aint gonna be "quick". Be very careful loosining some of the bolts on the mounts and headers. You may need a breaker so that you don't bust your knuckles up.

Brent Davis

Established Member
Great job!!

I have a lift so I hope that makes things a little easier for me. I was gonna lower k-member but I see that its not nessassary. How does it feel and sound?

Thanks man but IMO a lift wouldn't have been all that much better other than I wouldn't have been on a dolly rolling around. You still have to take bolts out from the top where you will be raising and lowering the car on the lift anyways. Lowering the k-member is just MORE time added to the job. I simply put a scissor jack on the middle of the transmission and didn't have to tilt the engine AT ALL for each header to slide up in place. The passenger side is the most work because of the starter which has 3 bolts opposed to the old 5.0 that had 2 and the engine mount that has the ground strap on it. The drivers side was much easier.

Either way, take your time and you WILL get it done. Make sure that you tighten all bolts up and evenly as possible. I re-used the stock header gaskets and NO leaks at all.

I only drove the car around the 'hood a little bit since I don't have a tune for the long tubes yet because I am doing the Whipple 2.3 blower install next that has a tune for everything. It does sound GREAT though with the GT-500 mufflers, 1 7/8" LT's, 3" H-pipe and stock resonators.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Brent Davis

Established Member
It took me 5.5hrs just to get the passenger side motor mount out. I'll call you next time. LOL!

Man no way, you're kidding right?

Actually I see why companies charge $750+ to install long tubes. It is a tedious job to do but once completed, you will have that smile all over your face hearing the exhaust rumble and breathe.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Man no way, you're kidding right?

Actually I see why companies charge $750+ to install long tubes. It is a tedious job to do but once completed, you will have that smile all over your face hearing the exhaust rumble and breathe.

Nah, but it DID take me a long time. The passenger side motor mount sucks. Freakin FORD decided to put 15 million different metric sized nuts on all this stuff.:nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread