people with WARRANTIES on their cars

supercoolsix

Established Member
to those who still have their warranty on their car, how do the dealerships know if you got your car tuned, especially if you go to a shop and get your car dyno-tuned...

i want to get my dyno tune but i do not want to do things to void the warranty..

what are things i can do that will not ruin warranty, (not appearance)...

NOTHING huh..!?! :shrug: oh well...

Quick Strike

Established Member
My SVT tech does not "look" for mods during regular or minor warranty service, but I was informed that there can be no engine modifications seen if it ever is in for catastrophic engine failure. Catastrophic failure is evaluated and verified at a higher level. I have had a 1/4 window and alternator replaced with my current mods with no issues. It is best to have a talk with the your tech to see if mods are recorded or present warranty issues during regular service.

supercoolsix

Established Member
Quick Strike said:
My SVT tech does not "look" for mods during regular or minor warranty service, but I was informed that there can be no engine modifications seen if it ever is in for catastrophic engine failure. Catastrophic failure is evaluated and verified at a higher level. I have had a 1/4 window and alternator replaced with my current mods with no issues. It is best to have a talk with the your tech to see if mods are recorded or present warranty issues during regular service.

thanks!!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Here's the deal on tunes. There are basically two. Chip and flash. The chip is obvious. You just look at the ECM and see if it's got (or ever had) a chip installed. The flash is not obvious...but most definitely detectable. Ford and read flashes to the ECM. If it's been flashed, there had better be a record of it in their system. If not, you're toast. Anymore, the SVT service reps are requiring this information before they will authorize major repairs.

What I was wondering is what if you used another ECM that you bought used somewhere? Other than possible PATS issues, is this possible then swap back in your original ECM when needed? Still, that's fraud if you're doing to beat Ford out of warranty, so you make the choice.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
If it's been flashed, there had better be a record of it in their system. If not, you're toast.
If you reflash your PCM with the stock tune before you take the car in for service, my understanding is that there's no way for Ford to tell that the PCM was ever re-flashed. At least that's what the techs told me HERE.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
If you reflash your PCM with the stock tune before you take the car in for service, my understanding is that there's no way for Ford to tell that the PCM was ever re-flashed. At least that's what the techs told me HERE.

That is not what I've been told by those that are in the know. I've had multiple dealers, SVT and even Diablo themselves tell me that even by returning the tune to stock, they can tell. My understanding is that the ECM does indeed keep track of flashes. If they see flashes that don't coincide with the dealer record, they know it's been flashed by someone other than Ford. They can't tell what was flashed, but they don't need to either. Just a flash by someone other than Ford is reason to void your warranty. I know for a fact that SVT looks for this. I was told by Diablo directly that there is a way for them to tell. It's not an easy find, but SVT tells them how to do it if they don't know. So bottom line is still the same...you mod...it's now your responsibility.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
...by returning the tune to stock, they can tell.
...the ECM does indeed keep track of flashes.
...there is a way for them to tell.
...It's not an easy find, but SVT tells them how to do it
It would be interesting if someone could explain exactly how this can be detected with a scan tool. Several Ford Master techs I have talked to are saying that there's no way they can tell. I'd be inclined to believe it if someone could explain what the PCM supposedly keeps track of to determine the flash is not original. There's supposedly no date stamp, flash count, etc in the memory, so how do they tell? If there's a way, I'd love to know what it is. I would think a place like Diablo or some other tuner would have no problem divulging what their theory is. :shrug:

So bottom line is still the same...you mod...it's now your responsibility.
Absolutely. :thumbsup:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Top Fuel...I'm not sure how they can tell either. But I've been assured there is a way. I've even been told that it's not easy to find that information, but that SVT can walk them through it. Now, it may all be BS...but even Diablo said there is a way. I believe it...and I'm not willing to take the chance right now. The service advisor I go to says they can tell, and he's not a bs'r.

I'm about to buy a NGS STAR tester. I'm going to get the opportunity to play with it and see what I can find out. Right now, I'm looking for a comprehensive manual on it's use...not just the generic stuff.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Quick Strike please explain "no engine modifications". When I bought my car I called SVT and several dealers in my area and they stated that I could only install an air filter kit and cat back with out jeopardizing my warranty.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Rice Eatr said:
Quick Strike please explain "no engine modifications". When I bought my car I called SVT and several dealers in my area and they stated that I could only install an air filter kit and cat back with out jeopardizing my warranty.

This just depends on who is looking at it. I have read about people having their warranty denied because the oil on the after-market filter could have "fouled the MAF." It seems that cat-backs are accepted, but I would not give any possible reason to challenge the warranty. I had my first re-flash from one of the major tune/software developers. I was told Ford would not be able to detect the re-flash if they re-flashed the computer with the original tune and the battery was disconnected long enough to reset the learning cycle. Things may have changed since then, but I know all of the software developers have turned the Cobra computer inside out in order to get complete control over it. I don't see how they would miss the ability to erase a counter in the process.

toby

I was told by ford people that a date is recorded when the computer is flashed. They don't know what or why but if it dosen't match their service records you're in trouble.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
1993SVT said:
I was told by ford people that a date is recorded when the computer is flashed. They don't know what or why but if it dosen't match their service records you're in trouble.

That's pretty close to what has been explained to me. No date however, the ECM doesn't maintain a date. (as I understand it) My understanding is a flash is recorded. For example, you flash a tune, then flash it back to stock. The ECM shows two flashes. Since Ford's records won't coincide, you're screwed. I've just been told this by too many people who really should know...so I'm not screwing around with it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any mod can potentially be a warrantee factor. That is the bottom line. Generally, though, the simple intake and exhaust mods are fine. Any who has to ask whether a tune of any type will become a warrantee isse should strongly consider whether they want to even reflash the stock ECU. Those who know the risks and proceed with caution live a more stress-free life. I learned that early on and enjoyed my Cobra a whole lot more not worrying about what the dealer might say about my mods. They were, by the way, very cool with my mods until I went with the pulley/tune change. But by then it really didn't matter to me. I was much more interested in having more fun with my Cobra than I was about the slim possibility I'd have a warrantee issue. LOL! Lastly, unless you specifically have to use use your warrantee on, say, a motor fix, most dealers are not going to mess with your ECU to see if it's been tampered with.

1TAYLOR1

HORNDOG
Established Member
the pcm does not keep any records of being reflashed
i work at a dealer and we can only tell if we find a
progammer in the vehilce (passanger side seat it does
happen) reflash your pcm back to factory disconnect
your battery for about 10 minutes and you should be
fine

0&SVT&3

TRYMY03
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
That is not what I've been told by those that are in the know. I've had multiple dealers, SVT and even Diablo themselves tell me that even by returning the tune to stock, they can tell. My understanding is that the ECM does indeed keep track of flashes. If they see flashes that don't coincide with the dealer record, they know it's been flashed by someone other than Ford. They can't tell what was flashed, but they don't need to either. Just a flash by someone other than Ford is reason to void your warranty. I know for a fact that SVT looks for this. I was told by Diablo directly that there is a way for them to tell. It's not an easy find, but SVT tells them how to do it if they don't know. So bottom line is still the same...you mod...it's now your responsibility.

Ok this is for everything in this entire thread i had a motor replaced nder warranty spun 3 rod bearings 1,2and 7. Ford can run you ECM PCM whatever you want to call it and fnd out if it has ever been tuned,flashed,or had a chip in it i know personally cause i watched them run my processer in person in order for SVT to give them the ok the give me another motor. another thing it tracks your speeds and your rpms too. they found out i topped my car out at 155 in 5th gear and found out i had redlined the piss out of it missing gears on occasion they bitched about it but i still got my motor. i would advise like firered04vert said talk to your svt techician but if i was you run the car as hard as you can and have fun with just basic bolt on shit that doesnt need a tune catback, shorthrow shifter, xpipe with cats, stuff like that until your warranty runs out.These cars will run mid 12's with just a catback and stuff everyone knows this but the decision is up to you.yall dont have to take my advice if you dont want to but ive been through ford and fought with them about warranty shit maybe its just me i dont know but good luck

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
0&SVT&3 said:
Ok this is for everything in this entire thread i had a motor replaced nder warranty spun 3 rod bearings 1,2and 7. Ford can run you ECM PCM whatever you want to call it and fnd out if it has ever been tuned,flashed,or had a chip in it i know personally cause i watched them run my processer in person in order for SVT to give them the ok the give me another motor. another thing it tracks your speeds and your rpms too. they found out i topped my car out at 155 in 5th gear and found out i had redlined the piss out of it missing gears on occasion they bitched about it but i still got my motor. i would advise like firered04vert said talk to your svt techician but if i was you run the car as hard as you can and have fun with just basic bolt on shit that doesnt need a tune catback, shorthrow shifter, xpipe with cats, stuff like that until your warranty runs out.These cars will run mid 12's with just a catback and stuff everyone knows this but the decision is up to you.yall dont have to take my advice if you dont want to but ive been through ford and fought with them about warranty shit maybe its just me i dont know but good luck

That is exactly as I have been told.

The data logger capability of this ECM is something that is not considered by many. These things log the sensor data and have a storage function of some sort. It's in your owner's manual. They can record things like speed, throttle angle, whether or not your brakes were applied, what gear you were in, all kinds of stuff. Ford gives this information to not only themselves, but insurance companies and law enforcement. Not only does Ford use if for warranty purposes, but insurance companies and law enforcement use it to tell just exactly what was going on if you were involved in an accident.

Big Brother is definitely here. Now I know why Richard Holdener is so in love with the FAST system!! :pepper: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread