People with medical knowledge/cut closure experience? **(work safe no pics)**

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Soooo I was down in Rocky Point Mexico for the 4th. For the most part it was great, but I got a really bad gash from a broken beer bottle on the side of my hand while there. I cleaned it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and super glued it shut.

Before I get some know it all in here griping about how super glue isn't ok for cuts... Ive been using super glue for cuts since I was knee high to a grasshopper and never had a problem. I've also done a lot of research on this since Ive been back in the states. The reason I post this question here is this is a rather deep cut. (muscle / fat could be seen before closure).

My question is, if its not getting infected (no bad smell no pain no swelling after 5 days) should I just leave it alone? Or get acetone, remove super glue, clean again, and glue it again. I'm not going to a doctor for this it's not infected or life threatening it just looks gross from blood mixing with the glue and drying. I'm just wondering if it would be best to leave it alone, or remove the glue... see how its looking, and clean/glue again or wrap it and leave it? There are so many conflicting opinions on this on the internet and I was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience.

Thanks in advance guys! :beer::beer:

EDIT: I forgot to mention Ive been on antibiotics since a day after it happened. A friend of mine that went with us is a walking pharmacy.

Last edited:

CowlHood

Established Member
Ive always just left the glue in personally, used to cut myself constantly working with a die press.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I would leave it if its not Enflamed or itchy/red. Taking it apart could disturb whatever healing has taken place. My wife is a vet-tech and I just went through this. All my stitches (8) ended up pulling so I was kinda in the same boat as you with strict instructions from my wife. I just wish I had her stich me up from the start.

null_zpsa90bb0b5.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
Just leave the glue in, most glues are non-toxic nowadays, and if its not broken, dont fix it!

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Thanks guys. This is what I was thinking as well.

any other people with experience like this?

EDIT: I also read online that the skin can actually heal over the glue? I thought this far fetched because wounds normally heal from the innermost part out right? I figured the lower tissues would mend, then I could just slough off the glue after the wound closed. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
If it was deep enough to see muscle (which I doubt) then you should have had it properly stitched up and be put on antibiotics most suitable to treat a potential infection in that body location. After about 8-12 hours, cuts are not sewn up, as there are already bacteria colonized in the wound and you would only be sealing them into the wound.

Superglue is somewhat similar to surgical sealant, just not exactly and it's not sterile. I would limit its usage to simple linear lacerations less than 2 cm in length.

My unofficial advice::: leave it be. Keep it clean and dry, and have your family physician take a look at it. Don't take antibiotics or any prescription medication from a friend unless that friend is an experienced and licensed health care provider.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My skin is so dry it cracks open deep quite often. I went to the dermatologist doctor last winter and he took one look and said, Super glue should be your best friend. Since then it has become my best friend. My skin cracks to the bone just to let you know.

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
If it was deep enough to see muscle (which I doubt) then you should have had it properly stitched up and be put on antibiotics most suitable to treat a potential infection in that body location. After about 8-12 hours, cuts are not sewn up, as there are already bacteria colonized in the wound and you would only be sealing them into the wound.

Superglue is somewhat similar to surgical sealant, just not exactly and it's not sterile. I would limit its usage to simple linear lacerations less than 2 cm in length.

My unofficial advice::: leave it be. Keep it clean and dry, and have your family physician take a look at it. Don't take antibiotics or any prescription medication from a friend unless that friend is an experienced and licensed health care provider.

Oh it was deep enough there was white fatty material coming out and when i moved my hand you could see the muscle tense up. Also red hamburger looking flesh sticking out. Hence why I didn't post any pictures. It's ****ing disgusting.

Thank you, though, and everyone else who has taken the time to post!

I will most likely leave it be unless I notice something peculiar in the healing process or if it starts to get infected. So far so good though. No swelling, very little drainage if any (other than the second day when I squeezed it and brownish blood came out which I read is a good thing because the wound isn't actively bleeding anymore), no odd smell, and very little if any pain. And no restricted movement of my hand like if I would have cut something serious like a tendon or artery etc...

Again guys. Thanks.

EDIT: The reason I didn't have it sewn up is because I was in Mexico. And I trust a doctor in Mexico about as far as I could shit up a rope.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Established Member
My skin is so dry it cracks open deep quite often. I went to the dermatologist doctor last winter and he took one look and said, Super glue should be your best friend. Since then it has become my best friend. My skin cracks to the bone just to let you know.

Ever try corn huskers lotion?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had never heard of using super glue to bind up a deep wound. I would (wrongly, I guess) assume the glue would infect the wound. Interesting fact! Ya learn something new every day. Glad you doing well now.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
do you have access to gun powder?

[youtube_browser]cd1kIH9YF6U[/youtube_browser]

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Here's an idea, go to the doctor.

Here's another idea. Some people don't have to be pampered by a doctor when they get every little booboo. Use of resources available and knowledge of how to do things on your own will save your life when a doctor isn't around. That was the point of this thread. Also, if you'd read more than 3 sentences before posting, you will learn that I was in MEXICO and didn't (still don't) trust the doctors there.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Once I superglue a cut shut I leave it the **** alone unless it opens up on it's own. If it opens up then I'll have a medical friend take a look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread