People with KB 2.8 Mammoth help?

A stallion

Established Member
Hey guys,
I wanna see who's here with KB 2.8 mammoth? what's your setup pulleys,boost,hp/tq,octane, and timing?

My main question what's safe setup to make 600ish hp at 17lb of boost 93 octane?
And what's setup I need to reach 15lb of boost on 91 octane and what power I will be making?

KB website recommend not to increase more than 17lb of boost on pump gas for street and not more than 15lb of boost on 91 is that true?

stangfreak

Established Member
don't take this the wrong way but, why are you buying a 2.8 mammoth setup, which is basically a race blower, and running 15-17lbs of boost. A tvs at that boost level will walk away from the 2.8 mammoth. A ported eaton cobra would probably put up a good fight againts a low boosted twinscrew.

Nobody on here runs 15lbs of boost on a mammoth so I am not sure anyone will know the answer to that question. My buddy has a mammoth and his pump gas is at 19lbs.

A stallion

Established Member
So can I run 19-21 lb of boost on 93 pump gas or 91 octane on low timing safe? I wasn't just asking about 15-17lb of boost I wanna see if it safe boost of pump gas.
Kenne Bell told me if I go more boost then the recommend and I drop the timing I will make less power then if I go with lower boost but high timing or not low

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
Pulley it for 19-20 psi and run some torco or a good meth kit. It will make good power. Mammoth is an awesome blower you can grow in to. You wont need to upgrade to a bigger blower if your intent is to keep modding.

A stallion

Established Member
Yea that's the plan bro. I have snow performance stage two meth kit that I might install

BadAzztt

Established Member
Bigger is not always better. If you are going big blower go big boost. If you want a mammoth you clearly want big power. If you want big power run the fuel to support it. I run 19+ lbs of boost on my 2.2 with 20-21 degrees of timing on 91... BUT I also run meth. On pump I back the timing down to 17. It's not how much boost you can run, it's how much on what combo (Octane, timing, additive, etc.) I say spin it, but properly fuel it and you'll be happier, or go with a smaller blower. I would easily put my smaller 2.2 against a 2.8 on low boost

A stallion

Established Member
I have the lethal budget return fuel system kit so I have no problem with fuel. I just don't wanna make hp that will blew my stock engine. I want to make high boost and power on 93 octane. What's safe power stock motor on pump gas? 660hp?

D-MANN

Established Member
I had a KB 2.6H before I switched over to TVS 2.3. The TVS makes way more torque. If your choice is KB DONT buy anything other than the mammoth blower. If you havent bought anything yet I would recommend you seriously consider the TVS with the big inlet and GT500 TB.

D-MANN

Established Member
Juiced46 did a wicked write up on the 2.8H mammoth. If your running aftermarket fuel rails you will want to search for his thread.

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
Time set the story straight!

I have the mammoth 2.8 running 18 lbs of boost @ 13 degrees of timing ( I need to double check the timing ). I'm 600 hp at the tires on 93 octane. Very safe tune. Also, I had oil in my intake manifold causing my tuner pull timing out.

On the original tune.18 lbs of boost 93 octane tune the car made 660 hp at the tires. This is before oil soaked the intake manifold.

My tuner is Manny at HPP.

No the 2.8 mammoth is not a race blower. The pro type 3.6 mammoth is more of a race blower for the 03-04 cobra is a race blower

A stallion

Established Member
Juiced46 did a wicked write up on the 2.8H mammoth. If your running aftermarket fuel rails you will want to search for his thread.

I really gotta see that writeup now lol I am gonna use stock fuel rails

A stallion

Established Member
Time set the story straight!

I have the mammoth 2.8 running 18 lbs of boost @ 13 degrees of timing ( I need to double check the timing ). I'm 600 hp at the tires on 93 octane. Very safe tune. Also, I had oil in my intake manifold causing my tuner pull timing out.

On the original tune.18 lbs of boost 93 octane tune the car made 660 hp at the tires. This is before oil soaked the intake manifold.

My tuner is Manny at HPP.

No the 2.8 mammoth is not a race blower. The pro type 3.6 mammoth is more of a race blower for the 03-04 cobra is a race blower

Nice!! What's your track numbers? What's your car mods and pulley setup for 18lb of boost?

Michael Hughes

1 of 299
Established Member
Pulley combo is 3" upper and a 6.5" lower

Starting from the rear of the car

IRS

level 5 half shafts
Fore Diff cover
MM rear delet busrhing, and front aluminum burshing
MM competition tir rod ends
Full tilt boogie burshing inth UPC, LCA, SF
9/16 blot upgrade

Transmisson

Metco Motorsports Drive shaft safty loop
lethal performance throw out bearing sleeve
liberty 26 spline input shaft
Ram clutch twin disk

Engine

Cooling head mode
Full SLP exhuast ( headers, x pipe, catback )
Metco 10 rib bet conversion
Kenne Bell Mammoth 2.8 H LC
Afco competition duoble pass heat exchanger

Furl system

Fore Hat ( return ) with twin 405 liter pumps
-8 feed to Fore Rails (1 Gen rail)
Aroemotive regulator
stock line is return ( old feed line is now the reture line )

Next round of mod to happen
clean old from intake manifold, Add oil separator to the PCV system.
increase boost from 18 to 22 lbs / RETUNE
ADD AFTERMARKET BRAKES TO THIS CAR TO GET IT TO STOP!!

A stallion

Established Member
Pulley combo is 3" upper and a 6.5" lower

Starting from the rear of the car

IRS

level 5 half shafts
Fore Diff cover
MM rear delet busrhing, and front aluminum burshing
MM competition tir rod ends
Full tilt boogie burshing inth UPC, LCA, SF
9/16 blot upgrade

Transmisson

Metco Motorsports Drive shaft safty loop
lethal performance throw out bearing sleeve
liberty 26 spline input shaft
Ram clutch twin disk

Engine

Cooling head mode
Full SLP exhuast ( headers, x pipe, catback )
Metco 10 rib bet conversion
Kenne Bell Mammoth 2.8 H LC
Afco competition duoble pass heat exchanger

Furl system

Fore Hat ( return ) with twin 405 liter pumps
-8 feed to Fore Rails (1 Gen rail)
Aroemotive regulator
stock line is return ( old feed line is now the reture line )

Next round of mod to happen
clean old from intake manifold, Add oil separator to the PCV system.
increase boost from 18 to 22 lbs / RETUNE
ADD AFTERMARKET BRAKES TO THIS CAR TO GET IT TO STOP!!

Very nice I am close to your mods. I am buy the 6.5" lower for sure then. I have 3.25" upper with the blower, is it fine with the 6.5" lower? Metco 10 rib bet conversion???? Lucky you I think metco stop making them.

SVT GI

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...moth-Build-Complete-Time-For-Dyno!&highlight=

^^^ my old thread when I built my mammoth car. Only change after this was went from 91 to 93 fuel. Retuned myself, numbers stayed the same. Stayed this way until I sold it in 2012, never any issues and still to my knowledge no issues with current owner on same setup. You need to spin that blower or put a smaller one on. I bought the blower from a guy that got his butt handed to him all the time by smaller blower cars because he was afraid to spin it.

Users who are viewing this thread