Pennzoil Platinum better than MC syn-blend or Mobile 1?

mechanicboy

Established Member
As the title states, is Pennzoil Platinum better than MC syn-blend or Mobile 1? I'm talking a 5w-30. I'm not looking for top dollar product here and I don't run extended oil changes. I need a good to great oil but not the best oil at $10qt.

1hot281

Established Member
As the title states, is Pennzoil Platinum better than MC syn-blend or Mobile 1? I'm talking a 5w-30. I'm not looking for top dollar product here and I don't run extended oil changes. I need a good to great oil but not the best oil at $10qt.

Pennzoil Ultra is even better. It's not much more expensive than Mobil or Platinum... But Pennzoil Platinum is certainly a great oil as well. I would run Platinum over Mobil 1.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Love my platinum 5-30. Been running it for years and no other oil keeps my engine as quiet.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
On paper, Platinum is a better lubricant. However, that's not saying Motorcraft 5W-xx doesn't return good results.

As others have stated, use Ultra instead if you can find it. That is the best off the shelf lubricant you can buy, currently.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member

platinum has a $10 per 5/qt rebate as of now. i got 2 last month

BMR Tech

On paper, Platinum is a better lubricant. However, that's not saying Motorcraft 5W-xx doesn't return good results.

As others have stated, use Ultra instead if you can find it. That is the best off the shelf lubricant you can buy, currently.

Good info. So Ultra is that good, huh?

I have been running Platinum in my '04 Cobra (10w-30) and it seems to get the job done. I have always been a fan of the MC oil - but when they stopped offering the 5w-30 in the 5qt jug, I couldn't force myself to pay the same for 6 separate qts - as buying a 5qt Platinum and extra single.

I swapped to Platinum on all my vehicles. The Milan, Focus, Cobra and the 320K Mile Super Scort.:rockon:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I use platinum in my moms 2013 v6 fusion 5w-30. She drives 6,000 miles a yr. One oil change a year and i'm done

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good info. So Ultra is that good, huh?

I have been running Platinum in my '04 Cobra (10w-30) and it seems to get the job done. I have always been a fan of the MC oil - but when they stopped offering the 5w-30 in the 5qt jug, I couldn't force myself to pay the same for 6 separate qts - as buying a 5qt Platinum and extra single.

I swapped to Platinum on all my vehicles. The Milan, Focus, Cobra and the 320K Mile Super Scort.:rockon:

Ultra is the best lubricant Pennzoil has ever formulated. With the new GTL (Gas To Liquid) base oil, it also has the lowest NOACK volatility recorded on 30 grade lubricants. That means it's "ultra" pure.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Ultra is hard to find and considerably more expensive in what I'm finding. Sounds like Platinum is a really good oil but I could do better with ultra. If there's a good deal on ultra I'll get that, otherwise it's platinum.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Walmart use to carry the utlra for 27$ an use to have a $5 instant rebate on top of that

BMR Tech

NICE FIND! Looks like I will swap to Ultra. I do know, I used to see it on the shelf at my local Wally Worlds.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ultra is hard to find and considerably more expensive in what I'm finding. Sounds like Platinum is a really good oil but I could do better with ultra. If there's a good deal on ultra I'll get that, otherwise it's platinum.

WalMart once had the best deal on Ultra, until it was canceled for reasons unknown. My guess, GTL base oil reformulation drove the prices higher than WalMart was willing to spend, as they do have a lot of muscle in price negotiations. If you say "no" to their offer, they will not buy your product.

Walmart use to carry the utlra for 27$ an use to have a $5 instant rebate on top of that

I forget, was this API SM or API SN formulation? API SM was not nearly as good as SN.

You can still order it online for $27:

Purchase Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 Motor Oil, 5 Qt for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

I'm interested in trying Ultra in something in the near future. Perhaps the SVTP GT?

WalMart.com isn't helpful in my area. The site tells me all of my local stores are out of it, "tough luck".

I highly recommend giving it a go. You may discover a better UOA than HPS.

NICE FIND! Looks like I will swap to Ultra. I do know, I used to see it on the shelf at my local Wally Worlds.

If you can find it, grab it. Just make sure the API label on the back says "API SN" not "API SM".

SM was the old hydrocracked base oil and wasn't nearly as good.

Around my town, you can only find it on the shelf at Pep Boys. However, I'm not paying $9.xx per quart for it. Not when I can order Amsoil 25% off retail.

Last edited:

V8 rumble

Established Member
Not trying to thread jack, but unfortunately my local Walmarts are all out of Ultra so I am going to have to switch oils (again), and it would seem Amsoil Signature Series would be my best bet.

UnleashedBeast, I have seen before when you recommended Amsoil SS oils for vehicles of my vintage, you always seem to recommend the 0W-30. I understand it would have better cold flow properties than the 5W-30, but is there any other reason you recommend the 0W-30 over the 5W-30? Is it a more robust formation? If anything, I would think the 5W-30 would be.

On the topic of Mobile 1, I think Advance Auto has a 5 qt + filter special for Mobil 1 Extended Performance for $36. Is the Extended Performance still a good choice, considering the price and good for use for 1 year like Amsoil SS? I thought EP used to be a good choice, but I thought I read that they changed the formulation so its not as good as what it used to be.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
On the topic of Mobile 1, I think Advance Auto has a 5 qt + filter special for Mobil 1 Extended Performance for $36. Is the Extended Performance still a good choice, considering the price and good for use for 1 year like Amsoil SS? I thought EP used to be a good choice, but I thought I read that they changed the formulation so its not as good as what it used to be.

You can check the uoa's over on bitog forum and it gets good results. Here's one with 12k+ mile use

2007 Honda Accord V6 Mobil 1 5w-20 EP 12,403 Mi - Bob Is The Oil Guy

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The major difference between a 12,000 mile UOA of Mobil 1 5W-20 and Signature series is....

Amsoil SS after 12K will have higher TBN and won't shear like that. That sample of Mobil 1 is a light 20 grade lubricant at the end of that interval, not to mention 95% used up.

Amsoil 0W-30 vs. 5W-30, major difference is cold flow performance (advantage 0W-30) and lower NOACK (advantage 5W-30).

Last edited:

V8 rumble

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if there was anything between the additives that maybe would make the AZO a better choice over the ASL or vice versa, aside from cold flow performance.

Users who are viewing this thread