Pedal Stuck Under Carpet...PLEASE READ!!!

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Mine stuck when it was on the dyno for the first time. When the rev limiter kicked in and the engine started shaking, I thought I was going to have a heart attack on the spot!

Instead of trying the spacer idea, I tried a different approach, I installed a second spring on the throttle body. (I have a BBK twin 65mm throttle body and the installation instructions indicate a second spring needs to be installed.) This seems to be working fine, although it can be tiring on your left foot on long trips (unless you use the cruise control).

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
If your problem is that the carpet does not line up with the tab to keep it from falling down, I suggest you show your dealership. I took mine down there, told them what had happened, and they ordered me a replacement. I helped to put the carpet it and the darn thing fit like a glove.

xchpstang

Established Member
Just an update. I had the stuck pedal and took it to the dealer. They tried to adjust the carpet and it was still getting stuck. Then they ordered me a new carpet and the problem has been solved. They didn't hesitate to order a new carpet the 2nd time I went so apparently the dealer or Ford are well aware of the issue.

Wintermute

Banned
Jeez this is freakin me out a little, I'll have to take a look at mine. I had a 95 Precidia when they first came out and the floor mat would hook the pedal, and I accidently learned how to power shift.

In the cobra I dont think it would be as fun.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
FYI:

April 11, 2006 12:39 PM ET

Ford Recalling Nearly 20,000 Mustangs

WASHINGTON (AP) - Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday that it was recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobra sports cars after receiving complaints that the back of the accelerator pedal could become caught in the floor carpeting and lead to a crash.

Ford told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in late January that it had received about 100 complaints and allegations of two crashes and one injury. The recall affects 19,140 Mustang Cobras from the 2003 and 2004 model years.

Ford said in a letter to NHTSA that the rear surface of the pedal could interfere with the carpeting during heavy throttling and make it difficult for the pedal to return to an idle position. The problem could be found in vehicles where the floor carpeting does not fit flush with the sheet metal. Dealers are expected to install a bracket over the cutout in the carpet behind the pedal. Owners are expected to be notified of the recall in late April and will not be charged for the repair.

NHTSA opened an investigation into the issue in July 2005.

Link to story: http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=AP&Date=20060411&ID=5636653&Symbol=US:F

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Great, good to hear. I wonder if they'll have to replace my carpet since I cut a chunk out of it.

I hope so, this is the worst carpet I've seen (fit and finish) in a modern Mustang.

Venom04

Established Member
Kind of ironic that the recall just went through because the pedal stuck tuesday and wow what an eye opening experience that was. Needless to say I had to pull over after shutting it down and unstick the pedal. Then went home to clean my shorts out. lol

Blacknblue

SVT G-Force Tester
Established Member
The dealer just installed my pedal shield. They also are repainting my hood due to pinhole paint peeling defect. I had this last problem pretty bad.

tankerman1981

Established Member
i just recieved last week a notice from Ford about the pedal issues... it describes everything that was said in this thread... will be bringing into the Ford dealership to get the problem fixed with some sort of shield or something...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I had mine done today

I think I like the way it feels at WOT now...more of a solid feeling

Last edited:

Mayhem

Established Member
I got the recall notice about 2 months ago, haven't made it into the dealer due to being out on the road traveling . I should probably get on that.

hmcobra03

Established Member
There is a recall for this. I got it done at the Ford dealership last week. It puts a metal plate under the gas pedal to hold the carpet down. works good.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
jvert said:
Can I still get it done even though I just got my Cobra used?
Yes. It was a safety recall. They have your vin on file. They want to get them all fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread