Pedal Stuck Under Carpet...PLEASE READ!!!

PhknPst OJ

Its party time!!!
Established Member
IM a scared

I havent experienced a problem with the carpet yet but your lawsuit idea is great!!! I would try it but I am enjoying my car way too much to chance it. :thumbsup:

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
Ford will get it big time if that happens to me and I crash.
Thank god mine has not got stuck.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
Damn! :mj: I thought I was the only one. I took mine to Ford THREE times before they finally cut mine. I kept telling them it was getting stuck, either on the carpet or my floor mat. I actually thought it was the mat because that rinky dink hold down lets the mat slide up when I work my pedals hard. I have had it stick on me 5 times, 3 of which when I was head to head with someone and the other when I was getting on it hard to get on the freeway and once when I was seeing how fast it would top out at after my Predator install. Nothing scarier than going 168 with the pedal stuck to the floor and traffic is coming up quick. :eek: I just threw it into neutral and let the rev limiter bump until I got it unstuck. I figured that was what it was there for. Thanks for bringing this to the public eye. I'm going to lodge a complaint for others' safety. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xBlown04x

THE REAL ORANGECRUSH
Established Member
It caused me to get a Reckless driving ticket

It happened to me a month after i got my car at the track and again on the street which resulted in a reckless driving ticket. I had to go to driving school to get out of it. I even took the papers to court to show that i had taken my car to ford and they said they could not fix it.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
JB said:
this is a good mod :thumbsup:

I did it back in 2002 when I first got the car

I didn't lift it as much as that though...I think I may try a 1" spacer now

cable ties work just as well as hose clamps

JB...if I understand this mod correctly, this is NOT a good mod by itself!! What is does is place all the stress of the throttle on the throttle body lever and the cable when you have your foot to the floor. The stress should be on the floor board. In other words, at WOT, you should have the same amount of pressure on the cable as cruising because you are actually pressing the pedal against the floor board...not the throttle body lever. If you do that, eventually, you will either break the cable or bend or break the lever. A better mod would be to place a stop under the throttle pedal and adjust things accordingly to get WOT without stressing the cable. This could be adjusted just like has been done with the mod...but you MUST have a throttle stop on the floor board.

Last edited:

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I've never had my pedal stick but I took a look and I can see that the edge of the carpet is curling away from where it is velcroed and leaning towards the gas pedal. A little bit more and it looks like it would happen. I don't like the cutting idea so I just bought some double-sided fiberglass carpet tape. It's real sticky and seems to be holding it down. :pepper:

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Drats! The tape isn't holding it. I went back to check and it's not sticking. I wish I had one or 2 of those black buttons that's holding the carpet down right between the gas pedal and the center console. Anyone know where to get them?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
JB...if I understand this mod correctly, this is NOT a good mod by itself!! What is does is place all the stress of the throttle on the throttle body lever and the cable when you have your foot to the floor. The stress should be on the floor board. In other words, at WOT, you should have the same amount of pressure on the cable as cruising because you are actually pressing the pedal against the floor board...not the throttle body lever. If you do that, eventually, you will either break the cable or bend or break the lever. A better mod would be to place a stop under the throttle pedal and adjust things accordingly to get WOT without stressing the cable. This could be adjusted just like has been done with the mod...but you MUST have a throttle stop on the floor board.

I see what you're saying Larry and it makes sense

I only have a small spacer on mine but I'm going to to take a good look at the cable strain and maybe I will add a stop

dezracer

shocker 420 said:
Stupid idea.......But, if I needed money bad(thank god I don't), I's get my pedal stuck and then crash my car and then sue ford.... do all this and try not to get hurt, THAT bad. It COULD be a nice pay out...

Sooner or later something like this might happen.... and it woun't be on purpose...

WTF...Your a smart one huh????????????

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
evans03c said:
I've never had my pedal stick but I took a look and I can see that the edge of the carpet is curling away from where it is velcroed and leaning towards the gas pedal. A little bit more and it looks like it would happen. I don't like the cutting idea so I just bought some double-sided fiberglass carpet tape. It's real sticky and seems to be holding it down. :pepper:

i know exactly what you're talking about where a velcro flap along the right side of the pedal is coming away and curling out towards the pedal. however, this is NOT the problematic area. the problematic area is shown in a picture at the beginning of this thread--it is underneath the pedal. trust me, once you have this happen to you, you will not trust the tape, CUT THE CARPET like the pictures show on this thread.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
WhiteSnake74 said:
If this has happened already, be sure to check you FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) because bouncing off the rev limiter like that, can blow it. And you don't want fuel mixed with your oil. I replaced it just for a peace of mind. It costs around $45.

i was just thinking about this whole thread the other day, and then it happened to me. i was so shocked i immediately put the car in neutral and tried to stomp the pedal free for a second or two, while my tach bounced off the rev limiter. i finally shut the car down (i was doing about 70 in a 45), and pulled over, but i swear it seemed like the car was redlined forever.
this plain f*cking sucks. i've driven the car about 20 miles after this happened and it performed fine without any obvious problems. i don't have the slightest f*cking clue where the FRPS is or how to know if its f*cked up.
should i take it to the dealer to have them inspect it?? i've already trimmed the carpet and am going to file a complaint, but how about some piece of mind--has everybody who's had this happened to them checked their FRPS?? has anyone found it blown?? does anybody think my car is focked??
i can't possibly see how this was overlooked by ford in the first place. bullshit.

Emil

Established Member
Just got this from the NHTSA:

In the next few days Ford Motor Company will be sending all the documentation and analysis they have done regarding the investigation of the accelerator pedal problem on Mustang Cobras. Do you have any new information for me since we last spoke?

Hopefully something will come out of it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
i was just thinking about this whole thread the other day, and then it happened to me. i was so shocked i immediately put the car in neutral and tried to stomp the pedal free for a second or two, while my tach bounced off the rev limiter. i finally shut the car down (i was doing about 70 in a 45), and pulled over, but i swear it seemed like the car was redlined forever.
this plain f*cking sucks. i've driven the car about 20 miles after this happened and it performed fine without any obvious problems. i don't have the slightest f*cking clue where the FRPS is or how to know if its f*cked up.
should i take it to the dealer to have them inspect it?? i've already trimmed the carpet and am going to file a complaint, but how about some piece of mind--has everybody who's had this happened to them checked their FRPS?? has anyone found it blown?? does anybody think my car is focked??
i can't possibly see how this was overlooked by ford in the first place. bullshit.

HELP please!!

Nightstalker

Established Member
I had my Cobra dynoed in May at Delk Performance in Lebanon, Tn. and the gas pedal stuck in 4th gear on the dyno and scared the boy half to death. Luckily he shut it off because it hit the rev limiter at 142 M.P.H. He checked under the hood and couldn't find anything wrong and then I remembered I had read about the problem on the forum and sure enough the carpet had it stuck and I told him to cut it and I haven't had anymore problems. I am sure glad it was chained down when it stuck or I could have been in trouble.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
copied from the NHTSA website 9/20/05

Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Year: 2003
NHTSA Action Number: EA05014
Summary:
PE05-038 WAS OPENED ON JULY 7, 2005, WITH 11 CONSUMER COMPLAINTS TO ODI ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF THROTTLE STICKING DUE TO ACCELERATOR PEDAL INTERFERENCE WITH THE CARPET. ODI HAS RECEIVED AN ADDITIONAL 24 COMPLAINTS SINCE THE PE WAS OPENED. DURING PE05-038, FORD SUPPLIED COMPLAINT AND WARRANTY INFORMATION REGARDING 86 ADDITIONAL INCIDENTS OF ACCELERATOR PEDAL INTERFERENCE IN MODEL YEAR 2003 TO 2004 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES. EIGHTY-FIVE OF THESE HAD CONCERNS OF ACCELERATOR PEDAL STICKING, 70 OF WHICH WERE ANALYZED AS BEING RELATED TO CARPET INTERFERENCE. ODI IS CONTINUING ITS ANALYSIS OF THE CAUSAL FACTORS IN THE REMAINING 15 INCIDENTS. AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS HAS BEEN OPENED TO FURTHER ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

72 fastback

Established Member
i believe this may have contributed to my total loss wreck.went to pass a car going about 30 mph and floored it for a sec and the car never seemed to stop.it was an 03 cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread