PCV caused oil pan seal to leak?

sunburst six

Established Member
Hey folks,

I just got the car back from the shop for an oil leak...turned out to be the oil pan gasket (or seal, you know what I mean). Anyway, the mechanic informed me that it was due to the PCV system causing too much pressure buildup during heavy driving. Is he full of it? I don't even have the PCV hooked up on the passenger side, it's vented to the atmosphere via a JLT filter. The driver's side has a Home Depot specialty catch-can setup.

So, what say you? I'd really like to avoid another $700 in labor if this were to happen again.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
If you have the passenger side vented then there is no way you are getting enough pressure in the crankcase to blow the gasket. All kinds of things would happen before the gasket blew, like you dipstick would pop out of the tube for example. As long as your filter is clear there is no way this is true!

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
maybe the filter is plugged? I have heard of plugged pcv systems causing the crank seal or rear main to leak on any car with a pcv system, oil pan now thats a new one.

sunburst six

Established Member
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'll check the PCV valve and filter tomorrow just to make sure everything's clear, but otherwise I'll attribute this little mishap to my engine builder (a true POS).

nealc

Established Member
Gaskets do fail all of the time. I do not believe it was because of the pcv valve or oil seperator. If I had to guess he is full of sh*t. Good luck with all that though.

Users who are viewing this thread