PCSing to Germany

Stanger00

Established Member
Ship it. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not shipping mine... inspection isnt really all that bad as long as your car is in good working condition and the exhaust isnt too loud.

True. I was at Ramstein for 2 years...I took my 2000 GT with Vortech supercharger and it passed inspection no problem. I even had Nitto 555r drag radials on the rear still passed with no issues. I put the stock mid pipe to pass the decibel test.

Typically, everyone regrets not taking their mustang.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
I got a buddy at ramstein now with a H/C/I maggy s/c GTO LS2. He passed. So if he can trust me you can get by. I am sure you may have some minor flaws. You will thank everyone later for bringing it there.

majorbanjo

Established Member
I'm here with a 2012 GT/CS....the mustangs get way more attention than the typical german luxury cars.....I get approached every day about it......I love it here; it's way fun....

lilgrneyes1979

*Twin Screwed Chick*
Established Member
It really depends on how angry you get over paint chips, door dings, and people parking right on top of you.

Parking lots or parking garages have very narrow spaces. The streets going through towns are very narrow, and if you have to park on the street, all you can do is pray a truck doesn't take your car out.

My experience was that nobody out on the economy had any respect for other peoples vehicles or personal space for that matter.

Driving the autobahn is really, really fun, but I would have gone to a Germany jail the first time someone slammed their BMW door into the side of my Cobra. We didn't take any Stangs over there. We each picked up a cheap beater BMW from soldiers that were PCSing back to the states, and beat the crap out of them.

SVTMystic04

Established Member
Hey I know this thread has been dead for a while but Im shipping the car in two weeks. Is the inspection before they ship it? How loud can it be? My car is pretty noisy. Would it be easier to try to put a stock exhaust rather than risk it not being shipped or is there some leeway? Im shipping the car out of dallas. Do they have any regulations on tint or anything? My car didnt pass inspection here in Mississippi because the tint was like 1 percent too dark. Thanks in advance.

03cobraracer

Established Member
i know you can have any tint on your front windows, idk about darkness on the rears. and i know where i am they do decibal test on your exhaust.

Stanger00

Established Member
Go to the inspection station and ask. There is a reg for all of this. Last I knew no tint on front windows and decibel test for exhaust, 92 or 95 is the limit. Tires and leaks are a big thing out there and ride height lowest point of the car has to be 2" off the ground.

OU812

Established Member
They don't inspect it before it ships, it gets inspected there. It will be shipped to the holding facility until you get it inspected. When I was there the inspection station was at Kapaun, that was back in 2001 though. If it's loud I would go ahead and change the exhaust now, I had magnaflows on my car and it passed with no problems.

SVTMystic04

Established Member
Its kinda nice because Im assigned to Kapaun, so I wont have to make any trips. So no tint on the front windows? Or like the windshield. I have magnaflows on the car now. Will NT05Rs get through the inspection? or do they need to be street tires? The inspection station is in dallas which is about a three hour drive from my house so Id like to know as much as possible before I go up there. If something doesnt pass will they let you work on it in the holding station or how would that work? I know its a lot of questions guys but I appreciate the responses :)

Stanger00

Established Member
The shipping place in Dallas will only walk around your car for yours and their protection incase anything is damaged when the vehicle is in route. They do not give you a German registration at the shipping place. Only when you pick up your car you get it inspected. Or get a temporary tag and drive off once your car arrives. This is what I did since I had mine shipped on my dollar and not on orders.

My car was hitting 96 decibels on the meter when I ran an off road x pipe and magnaflow cat back exhaust. They will rev the engine to the middle rpm range. My car is a 2 valve so only 2800-3000 rpms for them to get the decibel reading.

No tint on driver and passenger window.

I passed no problem with nitto 555 DRs.

I think you can get 60 days worth of a temporary tag in a 12 month period. I did that for my last 2 months because I didn't feel like swapping my mid pipe and I had a tiny rock chip in the windshield that was in the drivers line of sight. Pretty lame fail IMO.

usafimj

Established Member
Don't sell your ride. You'll regret it. I sold my supercharged '07 GT and kick myself in The ass every day. The German inspection is real anal but not impossible to pass. The shitty part is going to be the insurance. My insurance was going to go up $200. The good thing about not having my car here is I'll be debt free before I leave. I drive a beat up '93 BMW 325i that I drive to and from work only and use my wife's '08 charger for all our traveling. I think the tint on the rear windows on the charger is 10% and it passed the inspection last week. Rust is a fail depending where its at and leaks is a automatic fail.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Keep it. You will really regret it after seeing all of the other Mustangs out there that are loud as hell and slammed to the ground. Just a little ass pain to get it to pass inspection by shoving in a hanger with steel wool, to bring the decibels down, and no tint on the front 2 windows.

You dont have to get cats but take your stock mid pipe so you can put that on to pass inspection and then after you pass put the off/road pipe back in. Simple. Will take an hour or 2 to do the work.

Tint is easy rip it off and pass inspection and then have more installed for 60-80 Euros. If its that important to you.

My car was dropped all around even though it is a new edge. My roush stage 3 bumper was about 3 1/4" off the ground and the shipping company didnt damage it and I passed inspection with that ride height.

I suggest checking out mightymustangs.net that is the local german mustang forum and will have a lot of information for you. Being under the SOFA agreement we dont follow the same rules as TUV, real german inspection, but there is a guideline that they follow. There are a lot of big horsepower mustangs out there and they pass inspection.

steves04cobra

Established Member
Some of the inspection stations are tuffer then others, the one in Schwinfurt(sp) is easier then the one in Bamberg. I can tell you that a buddy of mine has Mac long tubes with an o/r mac h-pipe and mac catback and he pass with 94.2 decibels, aloud to have 95.
As for tint just remove the driver and passenger side, the rest can be as dark as you want. They are starting to crack down on the tint, both MP's and the Polizi.
Ride height really doesn't matter for the inspection, but it does matter for shipping just don't remember what it is.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
Some of the inspection stations are tuffer then others, the one in Schwinfurt(sp) is easier then the one in Bamberg. I can tell you that a buddy of mine has Mac long tubes with an o/r mac h-pipe and mac catback and he pass with 94.2 decibels, aloud to have 95.
As for tint just remove the driver and passenger side, the rest can be as dark as you want. They are starting to crack down on the tint, both MP's and the Polizi.
Ride height really doesn't matter for the inspection, but it does matter for shipping just don't remember what it is.

yeah i agree dont sell your car, ive been out here almost a year now and im dying without my car. im already planning on shipping it over since i have another 2 years here. and those damn MP's shouldnt be pulling you over for tint anyway!....oh wait.....lol Im an MP in grafenwoehr and i know i at least wouldnt pull you over for it ha.

Users who are viewing this thread