PCSing to Germany

SVTMystic04

Established Member
I'm in the Air Force and I just got orders to report to Kapaun Air Station in Germany February 16th:banana:

My question is....should I take my Cobra with me to Europe or sell it? I'm going to be there 3 1/2 years so I dont want to store it. I know gas and that kind of thing is a lot more expensive there and the insurance would probably be significantly higher. Couldn't drive it during the winter much either. I also don't know if the car has to pass emissions, and considering it doesn't have cats, that would be a definite fail.

Has anybody done the paperwork and stuff to ship a car that far? If The AF doesn't want to pay for it how much would it cost to ship? I was also thinking about taking it there and selling it to someone local so I could get some more money out of it.

I know I can ask people here on base, but Id rather get a response from people who are already there or have done it themselves.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :beer:

Gregster

Established Member
It would be awesome to have a muscle car in Europe, there's a big fun club of Mustang in Poland. The gas is in fact much more expensive in Europe, you're looking about ~$7.5 a gallon over there or 1.5 Euro per liter. Winters are very similar to winters here in USA, but i have no idea how they do with snow removal in Germany.

As far as inspection goes, it's not your typical dive in facility & hooking up computer to check for codes. They have: suspension, brake, lights, tires, etc. Your taillights can't be all red, they need to have orange blinkers (front & rear), also your headlights need to have a European cutoff beam that won't blind on coming traffic.

As far as shipping the car. You can do it either by a boat 4-6 weeks or plane. It's anywhere from $1500 & up, depends which route you choose, how big container/trailer, etc.

Also if you're thinking about bringing it over there & selling it, remember about paying customs & all fee's that come with it.

OU812

Established Member
I had a blast in Germany, I was at Ramstein for 3 years, it's about a 10 minute drive from Kapaun. I took my mystic when I went and sold it for some good money after about a year of driving it. The AF will pay to ship one car for you so don't sweat that at all. The inspection really isn't that bad, you'll have to put the cats back on and just make sure you don't have any signs of leaks under the car and you'll be fine. Gas really isn't that bad if you buy it on base, if you're going on a road trip you can buy gas coupons on base and you won't have to pay the german gas prices.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
I agree with N/Angel. We left my wife's 01 Cobra in the states, and after cruising the autobahn for 8 months in a turbo'd WRX, I couldnt handle it anymore. I bought a Mach and am having it shipped over here as we speak.

PM me with any particular questions. Im stationed at Ramstein as well.

SVTMystic04

Established Member
Looks like the overwhelming response is YES TAKE IT haha. Anybody from there have "a guy" for inspections? I dont have a problem puting cats back on, but no pulley and stuff like that would be frustrating. Anybody Kenne Bell'd over there? Im curious because now all the extra power serves a purpose....Ill get to work quicker :)

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
pulley and stuff should not be an issue with inspection as long as everything else is safe, brakes need to be good, tires, no leaks and this kind of regular stuff.

you'll love getting to work quicker, I had a run in with an M5 and an M6 yesterday on my way to work, lots of fun until I ran out of gear, lol!

one word of advice though, spend some money on your cooling system and get an Autobahn proven tune if you want to go fast for longer

03cobraracer

Established Member
do it man! im in germany now and my car is getting ready to get shipped over here as we speak. its getting tuned right now. there are so many mustangs here its crazy, the roads are smooth, and the autobahn is alot of fun where there is no limit, i speed in my bmw all the time lol. i cant wait to get my car here!

my98stang46

Established Member
Got back from ramstein a little back and it's just a few minutes from the autobahn. You'll regret not having your car if you dont take it. What's you afsc?

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I say take it with you bro, you going to love driving it on autobahn. Since AF is paying for the shipping why not take it along.

SVTMystic04

Established Member
My AFSC is 3d133 Radio Frequency Transmissions. Yeah I think Im definitely gonna take it. If I decided to sell it, Im sure I could get more for it there anyways, especially when the AF is paying to ship. Thanks for the information everybody. Maybe ill see you on the roads there!

Tacky03

Established Member
Personally, the autobahn got old after the first few times. My favorite part about driving in Germany is the rural roads that have some curves, and still no speed limit. After you accelerate to merge with traffic on the thrill is pretty much gone and the autobahn is just like any other highway. Make sure you have good brakes as well, you still have to deal with slower cars passing in the left lane.

hurststang

Established Member
I've been stationed in Germany for the past 6.5 years and I love it. I have had 5 Stangs and 1 Camaro over here. I say bring your car you will pay a little more on ins but gas is 3.54 a gallon right now.

RCM90

Established Member
Ship it. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not shipping mine... inspection isnt really all that bad as long as your car is in good working condition and the exhaust isnt too loud.

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
You can buy your gas on base for more or less the same price as it is here.

true. there are gas coupons that prevent service members, etc. from being subjected to the gas prices of other nations. you won't have to pay more than those INCONUS.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
true. there are gas coupons that prevent service members, etc. from being subjected to the gas prices of other nations. you won't have to pay more than those INCONUS.

Yep, but not all gas stations will take those coupons, so be careful. Always ask before hand.

Users who are viewing this thread