PCM replacement - What are my options?

MustangThief

Established Member
I know there are 5 03/04 Cobra computer codes: YDHO,YDH1,QUD2,AMZ1 AND HSF0.

I have an SCT Xcal2 handheld tuner with my stock tune and 3 other tunes on it.

If I buy a PCM, do the computer codes need to match if I load my stock tune/other tune onto it with the handheld once I get it? Do I need to have it flashed at a dealer before I can upload my tune onto it? I don't know if the stock tune or other tunes have ALL the parameters? (i.e. PATS coding/VIN coding)

I've read locksmiths can do most/all of the programming needed to them to match PATS and code in your VIN. Would I still need new keys? I'd like to get a new PCM and get her back on the road ASAP but don't know what all I need to do to "match" it to my car even with having my handheld tuner.

Thanks

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The ecu codes don't matter. AMZ2 was the newest revision for our cars but if you're loading a tune on there it over writes that anyways so its a moot point.

You will need a dealer to flash the car with their equipment for PATS to work. They will need both keys for your car. If you only have one you'll have to buy another. I've been through it and their flash process requires two keys.

You can have your tuner disable PATS but I'm not sure if that's enough to make it start when swapping ECUs or if more is needed. I suppose I could try some day, just never have.

MustangThief

Established Member
The ecu codes don't matter. AMZ2 was the newest revision for our cars but if you're loading a tune on there it over writes that anyways so its a moot point.

You will need a dealer to flash the car with their equipment for PATS to work. They will need both keys for your car. If you only have one you'll have to buy another. I've been through it and their flash process requires two keys.

You can have your tuner disable PATS but I'm not sure if that's enough to make it start when swapping ECUs or if more is needed. I suppose I could try some day, just never have.

Hey Malcolm thanks for the response. I did some more digging and a friend actually has a Snap on scan tool. From what I read I should be able to disable PATS with it, as well as code new keys to the car. The only thing I don't know now is if I still need to take it to Ford to have them input the VIN into the PCM. From the research I did it looks like when I upload my tune it's not a "complete write" tune. Our cars don't carry the VIN and a few other parameters with them when you flash a tune over it. So Ford would need to connect to it and input the correct VIN. I figured uploading my stock tune to it would take care of any issues but it looks like I'll have to have a dealer at least hook it up to their IDS software and get my VIN coded in.

So the revision data is overwritten in my tune though, thanks for that info I did not find that anywhere. I was stressing about trying to find the right code for my car.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The VIN doesn't seem to matter much. I have a tool to look at the VIN in the ECU/tune and I noticed SCT over writes it with their own custom numbers ending in SCT for your vin. I believe it's how they marry the X3 handheld with your ECU. Then when you return to stock it'll put the stock VIN back in your ECU. Other products seem to leave it alone. Currently the VIN in my ECU doesn't match my car. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

MustangThief

Established Member
I talked with my tuner and he cleared up the remaining issues I had.

He said the VIN not matching will keep PATS enabled until Ford hooks up to the PCM with the IDS tool and programs in my VIN. He's just going to turn PATS off in my existing tune before he sends it to me. I can then pull the theft bulb, or... drive it to Ford, have them program in my VIN, and then upload a tune that has PATS enabled if I want.

My xcal2 is going to be locked. I thought I was looking at buying an Xcal4 for 400 bucks... he actually said (for 03-04 cobras) he prefers the xcal3... the xcal4 won't allow him to datalog. So he has to use his xcal3 to tune terminators then if the customer has an xcal4 he has to upload the tune he did on the xcal3 to their xcal4. So buying a used xcal3 should save me a couple hundred bucks.

Other than that I think i'm good. He confirmed what you said Malcolm. I asked him about the Cobra codes, YDHO,YDH1,QUD2,AMZ1 AND HSF0. He said I may have a QUD2... but he's always tuned terminators using the base code of the AMZ1 as that was the latest revision. So said although I may have had a QUD2... i actually had a AMZ1. So when I reupload the tune it's going to wipe that out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread