Paxton vs Vortech VS On3

RedneckChariot

Established Member
I've been lurking on here for a long time and have been waiting for my warranty on my 2013 manual 5.0 to go out before i decided to do any serious mods....My warranty is out now therefore i want to pull the trigger pretty soon on a power adder. I've read a lot of threads and i know that on3 is questionable but i have also seen a lot of arguments saying they're much better since they've done their revisions. Currently all i have on my car is a xpipe/exhaust, bama tune, and complete suspension. I want to spend 6k max on the power adder therefore the paxton/vortech/on3 come into play. I plan on going for 600rwhp for the time being and down the road building the engine and going for more. I'm mostly wanting to do the on3s because i've been wanting to go the turbo route but im curious to hear opinions. I understand this is asked a lot but i haven't seen many (or any) threads about the new on3 revisions and choosing them.

nother5oh

Established Member
Hello, i am in the same boat as you. Ive been going back and fourth myself on this same exact scenario. Id love a twin turbo kit but still i see kit problems. And when budget is tight, then there is nothing left over if problems pop up that add cost. Ive heard less issues in the Paxton/Vortech kits. I know the turbo kits make more power at lower psi. So i just dont know. I know you get what you pay for, but i have kids dont make a ton of money, so yes a budget applies lol lol. Sorry RedneckChariot for ranting in your thread, sorry.

GBCoyote

Established Member
My kit is in my signature. I've maxed my system out on my motor. If I could go back and do it all over I'd go with a turbo kit. You're going to get more power earlier in the power band and it's going to be quite a bit more fun. My personal opinion.

jp1seattle

Established Member
If you're going to be building it up, go with the on3 set up and dont look back.

I got my Vortech because I wanted to install it very easily and not want to deal with it again.

I'm happy with my 600 rwhp and I'm done with it.

Pretty easy decision if you research it.

RedneckChariot

Established Member
Hello, i am in the same boat as you. Ive been going back and fourth myself on this same exact scenario. Id love a twin turbo kit but still i see kit problems. And when budget is tight, then there is nothing left over if problems pop up that add cost. Ive heard less issues in the Paxton/Vortech kits. I know the turbo kits make more power at lower psi. So i just dont know. I know you get what you pay for, but i have kids dont make a ton of money, so yes a budget applies lol lol. Sorry RedneckChariot for ranting in your thread, sorry.

It's completely fine! If what i uncover helps you also then thats a win win in my book. It's not a cheap decision and i'd hate to go wrong on spending the money only to wish i did something different.

RedneckChariot

Established Member
Thanks for your input, i noticed your sig and can see you have a ton of work done on your car. It's post like yours that gears me toward going turbo because it's very much the same response.

RedneckChariot

Established Member
Another?! i'm honestly surprised more people didn't come forward to argue Paxton but i still am curious about the newer version of the on3's

RedneckChariot

Established Member
Your build is where i would be if i didn't decide to do the ON3s. thanks for your input as it's helping tally a decision for me!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
unfortunately these days a 600 whp car are a dime a dozen and pretty much the standard on any GT these days who have any sorts of mods done. the blowers are kool and make instant power but are limited to power and having to swap out pulleys every time u wanna make real power is a PITA. Go Turbo! U wanna make more power? Turn up the boost!

im not sure id opt for the On3 kit tho. its kinda garbage to be honest.

nother5oh

Established Member
Thanks for everyones opinion. My wife says the same thing about the twins, the problem is theres more little things that add up, like header wrap or not ,turbo blankets or not, having to play with oil feed lines to make them right. Ive been reading some added headaches from current on3 owners. Id hate to have spent my budget to yet only need more to finish. I do understand, i really want twins or even a single turbo kit, but my budget laughs at them lol. Like the vottech owner above i was just looking for a less complicated setup thats all. Also i thought there was a few 800-900 whp Paxton setups?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
been covered a thousand times. you need to pick a target HP goal or purpose for the car and base your decision off of that.

I had a Paxton and sold it for a set of on3 twins. I recently sold the turbo kit and the car is now back to NA stock manifold on e85.

For 600 hp the Paxon/Vortech (I would go Vortech v3 if I did it again) simply cannot be beat. Install is clean as hell, no issues, can be done in a day.

On3 power delivery is MUCH better than the centri, it makes cooler sounds than the centri, it looks better than the centri, and will support 1000 whp with relative ease. However!!! The install and the constant checking of everything to be sure you don't burn up electrical parts gets old.

LLLOOONNNGGG story short.. if I was to do it all over again I'd probably go 8 rib Vortech v3 with a 3.48 pulley on e85. Belt slip would be non existant (or close to it), initial power and boost response would be much better than the Paxton, and the install takes an afternoon in your garage with hand tools. This set up would make around 750 whp or so. maybe 700. I have no plans to ever build my bottom end.

If you want 800 or more... you must go turbo IMO... no brainer.

Last edited:

7upstang

Established Member
Twins bring in boost quicker and more efficently. However, a blower would be more reliable in my opinion.

That being said, I've heard of great improvements with On3. I've seen one in person which I thought was great. But it depends what you want. Only want to make 600hp, blower is fine. Want to make more, turbo kit no doubt.

nother5oh

Established Member
Its awesome to have a community of people that can tell you by experience, the pros and cons. You guys are great, thanks again.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
click on my name and read my threads on both the Paxton and the On3. I did an install write up on both.

Lots of good info to help you make your decision.

Guess I should also add that my best pass with the Paxton in shit Ca weather (Fontana) was 11.2@127 on the stock pulley and about 8psi.

First and only pass with the on3 was on about 8.5-9 psi and it went 10.9@130.

Both passes on 19" Nt05r drag radials and the car in full street trim weighing 3815 with me in it weighed at the track.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
been covered a thousand times. you need to pick a target HP goal or purpose for the car and base your decision off of that.

I had a Paxton and sold it for a set of on3 twins. I recently sold the turbo kit and the car is now back to NA stock manifold on e85.

For 600 hp the Paxon/Vortech (I would go Vortech v3 if I did it again) simply cannot be beat. Install is clean as hell, no issues, can be done in a day.

On3 power delivery is MUCH better than the centri, it makes cooler sounds than the centri, it looks better than the centri, and will support 1000 whp with relative ease. However!!! The install and the constant checking of everything to be sure you don't burn up electrical parts gets old.

LLLOOONNNGGG story short.. if I was to do it all over again I'd probably go 8 rib Vortech v3 with a 3.48 pulley on e85. Belt slip would be non existant (or close to it), initial power and boost response would be much better than the Paxton, and the install takes an afternoon in your garage with hand tools. This set up would make around 750 whp or so. maybe 700. I have no plans to ever build my bottom end.

If you want 800 or more... you must go turbo IMO... no brainer.
So, from to to no boost. Are you doing anything for the NA set up? Curious to get your thoughts. I'm in between nA, maybe cobra jet or used Paxton. Easier for me to piece together an na kit.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd like to go cobra jet but the cost is kind of crazy to me to gain 30-40 hp.

Spend the money and go e85 on stock mani instead.

My car feels strong for being Na. I'm betting it traps high teens or close to 120 the way it sits now

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
There's a few Vortech JT kits floating around here used that could be a great option. Granted I've never rode in a Turbo Coyote but know the headaches involved with most kits, and the tuning issues that can arise as I did a turbo build on a past mustang. I've had great luck with this blower and love the reliability of it. It is bigger than a v3 and will take you over 1kHP if you want it, just have to have the supporting mods like anything else. Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread