Passenger Side Rear Tire Wearing Much Faster

sassafras

Established Member
Strange I just noticed today that my passenger rear tire is wearing much much faster than the drivers rear tire. I went over to some MM coilovers last month and had an alignment done after I got my ride height where I liked it so I don't believe it's an alignment issue, especially since it's the entire tire that's wearing not just one side or the other. I did have to lower the spring perch on the passenger side quite a bit to get the car level out back, but I don't see how that could be a problem if the car is level and aligned. Anyone have a suggestion?

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
do you spin tire alot....your right tire always spins first if im not mistaken so that may be why one is worn more than the other if not its an allignment issue...did you get prinouts of your allignment afterwards?

sassafras

Established Member
Alignment is on, and I've got the printouts at home which I will double check, but I remember them being dead on. Very rarely will I spin the tires so I know that's not it. The car has only been driven 500 miles since the change to the coilovers; maybe I did alot of damage to the tire when I drove it to the alignment shop about 20 miles away, damage which I didn't notice until recently. But other than that, I have no clue what could have caused it.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Alignment is on, and I've got the printouts at home which I will double check, but I remember them being dead on. Very rarely will I spin the tires so I know that's not it. The car has only been driven 500 miles since the change to the coilovers; maybe I did alot of damage to the tire when I drove it to the alignment shop about 20 miles away, damage which I didn't notice until recently. But other than that, I have no clue what could have caused it.
definatley your allignment get it checked
leave the traction control on and your tire wear will improve

i HATE traction controll i personally turn it off everytime i get in my car:mj:

sassafras

Established Member
leave the traction control on and your tire wear will improve

It's turned off in the tune. Besides preventing the car from spinning during launch what would help control tire wear with it on? Keep in mind it's not like I'm blowing tires off at every red light, I've only gotten into a few times since the coil over conversion and it's always been a 2nd gear roll.

ttk53

Established Member
could the clutches in your diff be worn out and this is causing most of the power to be put to the right tire.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
could the clutches in your diff be worn out and this is causing most of the power to be put to the right tire.

very possible...

count the coil thread on both sides of the rear... make sure there even.

rotate the tires and see what happens... how long have you been running the said tires...

I have a hard time believing that you don't spin the tires... 03-04 cobra and no tire spinning WTF...:nonono:

sassafras

Established Member

When I get my exhaust taken care of, I'll go do a burnout, these tires are pretty much toast anyways. If the black marks differ that might be an indication that this is happening. Car only has 25K on it.

very possible...

count the coil thread on both sides of the rear... make sure there even.

rotate the tires and see what happens... how long have you been running the said tires...

I have a hard time believing that you don't spin the tires... 03-04 cobra and no tire spinning WTF...:nonono:

Tires have been on the car for 5K, Goodyear F1's, alignment 500 miles ago was spot on. And I'm not saying I can't spin the tires, it's just that this has happened in the past 500 miles or so, nearly all of which have been on the interstate.

The lower spring perch for the coilovers is much lower on the passenger side, I had to do that so that the car sat level in the rear.

sassafras

Established Member
Bumping this up again. Alignment checked out, so that's not the problem. Had a guy at the alignment shop tell me that the Right Rear is the pushing tire and that I needed a locking differential to prevent that tire wear. Not sure I buy that but it's a thought.

I'll repeat this for those who missed it, I did have to lower the lower right rear spring perch alot more than the left rear lower spring perch to get the rear end to level out.

The car only has 26K on it, could the clutches in the differential really be bad, and if so how can I tell.

Any other suggestions or advice other than "Keep your foot out of it" would be appreciated.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
yeah possible the clutches in the diff are worn. my '03 did the same thing. i just rebuilt my diff this winter at 22k miles, and yeah they were worn badly. i took the opportunity to stuff an extra clutch in there too. so far both tires wearing the same amount. 100 bucks for the carbon fiber clutch kit from summit. while you got the diff out replace the back diff. bushing with the MM bushing, theyre only 20 bucks from lethal and it comes with the tool to press it out.

and keep your foot in it...dont be a pansy, its only a bucket of nuts and bolts with a shiny paint job.

Last edited:

sassafras

Established Member
yeah possible the clutches in the diff are worn. my '03 did the same thing. i just rebuilt my diff this winter at 22k miles, and yeah they were worn badly. i took the opportunity to stuff an extra clutch in there too. so far both tires wearing the same amount. 100 bucks for the carbon fiber clutch kit from summit. while you got the diff out replace the back diff. bushing with the MM bushing, theyre only 20 bucks from lethal and it comes with the tool to press it out.

and keep your foot in it...dont be a pansy, its only a bucket of nuts and bolts with a shiny paint job.

Thanks for the response. Any way I can test to see if the clutches are going bad without pulling the diff out?

I've already replaced every bushing in the IRS with bruce's kit so the bushings won't be a problem. How difficult is it to drop the differential with the IRS subframe still in the car? I just dropped the entire subframe out when I replaced all the bushings this spring.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the response. Any way I can test to see if the clutches are going bad without pulling the diff out?

I've already replaced every bushing in the IRS with bruce's kit so the bushings won't be a problem. How difficult is it to drop the differential with the IRS subframe still in the car? I just dropped the entire subframe out when I replaced all the bushings this spring.

Ryan:

If the clutches in your diff are shot and you're aggressively driving right hand turns, this will unload your RR tire and it can spin ever so slightly and you'll never know it. (I'm not talking a smoking tire spin, I'm talking slippage) That will accelerate wear considerably on that tire.

Are you on coil-overs on the front as well? Has the car been corner-balanced?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread