Palace Chase (USAF) is kicking my A$$

stangaholic280

Established Member
So I'm trying to go Palace Chase and do ROTC to get my commission. I know there are many other ways to get a commission and I have researched them all, but they all have roadblocks for me, most being that I have a SRB (reenlistment bonus) and have to serve 50% of my time, which is 3 years, before I can apply to commission...and by then I'll be getting close to age limits for the things I want to do (pilot, MSC)...FML.

So I'm working with the Reserve Liaison here at Sheppard and amazingly enough nobody wants me LOL! I scored a 92 on my ASVAB years ago. I've been in 5 years and am an E-5. I've reached my 7 skill level, I've won awards, I have great EPRs....overall a good troop. My career field is 4R0X1, which is Radiology Tech. I got told basically right off the bat that there were no jobs available in the reserves for 4R so I'm going to have to retrain.

I decide to make the best of it and try to get a line job. I figured it would give me a good mix (medical/line) of experience for being an officer. I call up a slew of Seniors and Chiefs and talk to them about getting a job. When they ask my current job and I say medical...there is an uncomfortable silence and then they tell me that they aren't taking any noobies for training (crew cheifs, loadmasters, flight engineers, etc). :shrug:

So basically the Liaison is trying to get me a bottom of the barrel job called Air Transportation. It's basically a 2 week tech school and my job will potentially be to load pallets/cargo on to the plane (not to be confused with the highly revered Loadmaster job). I know, I know....every job is important. Just seems like such a waste of my potential. :nonono:

Granted my main reason for doing this is going to ROTC and coming back AD commissioned, so I guess it really doesn't matter, but still I'm not the type of person to just settle when I know I could contribute in so many ways.

Just needed to get it off my chest! Thanks for listening. :beer:

P.S. - I love enlisted (no cooler looking rank than Chief), but for me staying enlisted is just not an option. My wife went Civ -> Officer about 8 months ago and it's driving me nuts...I was highly interested before in a commission, but now I'm bound and determined for some bars.

Last edited:

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I just said hell with it and decided to seperate. I got 3 months left.

stangaholic280

Established Member
I just said hell with it and decided to seperate. I got 3 months left.

I've thought about it, but honestly I'm kinda scared of the outside world. :shrug:

Plus I've set my mind to a commission. I've invested TONS of time into research, phone calls, schools, etc. I'd almost feel like a failure if I didn't get one.

I love my wife, but she has a specialty degree and so she got in without even breaking a sweat. Poor girl saluted a LtCol with her left hand in her 1st month :FACEPALM:. This was my dream before she even came in, so now it's kind of a competitive thing...if she can do it, so can I. :poke:

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I have seen so many people try to Palace Chase. When they tell me they're applying for it I just kind of stop listening. I've never seen anyone accepted.

I am maintenance right now, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I wanted to do it because I liked to work on things. It honestly made me hate it.

An officer in the maintenance world has it easy IMO. Maybe long hours here and there but overall not too bad. I am just not that dedicated for it. I am more worried about myself than every other thing around me.

stangaholic280

Established Member
I have seen so many people try to Palace Chase. When they tell me they're applying for it I just kind of stop listening. I've never seen anyone accepted.

I am maintenance right now, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I wanted to do it because I liked to work on things. It honestly made me hate it.

An officer in the maintenance world has it easy IMO. Maybe long hours here and there but overall not too bad. I am just not that dedicated for it. I am more worried about myself than every other thing around me.

It's not very hard right now. They asked for volunteers for the Force Shaping program or whatever it's called. Basically they let you Palace Chase without doubling your time or paying back your bonus.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I Palaced Chased into the Guard back in '05, although it helped that my career field (2A651A) was at 132% manning. The whole process took 2 months from the time I started the paperwork to beginning terminal leave.

I've been going to school off and on for the past few years but I really need to get in gear and finish it. My dream was to fly A-10s but I'll be turning 26 in a few months, so I'm starting to run out of time. I hope your paperwork goes through, good luck!

Also, I had to double my commitment to a maximum of 6 years, but I didn't have to pay back the bonus.

stangaholic280

Established Member
I Palaced Chased into the Guard back in '05, although it helped that my career field (2A651A) was at 132% manning. The whole process took 2 months from the time I started the paperwork to beginning terminal leave.

I've been going to school off and on for the past few years but I really need to get in gear and finish it. My dream was to fly A-10s but I'll be turning 26 in a few months, so I'm starting to run out of time. I hope your paperwork goes through, good luck!

Also, I had to double my commitment to a maximum of 6 years, but I didn't have to pay back the bonus.

I'm about at the 2 month point right now I think. Mine could go a little quicker but the recruiter is trying to stick me at Lackland which is about 6 hours from me. Easier for him to find a job for me there, but I told him I'd like to get one closer to home...perhaps Tinker (2 hours) so I guess I'm making it go slower lol. I just really don't want to drive 6 hours both ways for duty. :shrug:

yelostang

Established Member
Have you thought about trying the Air Force Academy?

NM...you are married

Last edited:

Slowtsi

Slow car driver
Established Member
I've really been putting a lot of thought into it, since I'm getting older and don't wanna make a career out of the AF, we'll see how it goes. I would like to be able to get the ball rolling on my future ASAP.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
What is Palace Chased? AFROTC is very hard right now. 20 people competed for a FT slot at my detachment and only 7 received it. It's about 40% select for non-technical degree.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm about at the 2 month point right now I think. Mine could go a little quicker but the recruiter is trying to stick me at Lackland which is about 6 hours from me. Easier for him to find a job for me there, but I told him I'd like to get one closer to home...perhaps Tinker (2 hours) so I guess I'm making it go slower lol. I just really don't want to drive 6 hours both ways for duty. :shrug:

I guess I was lucky, the Guard recruiter at Dover where I was stationed showed me a map of the country with all the available Guard units to choose from that had openings. All I had to do was pick! I too chose to come home to Texas. Plus, working on fighters seemed alot more exciting than C-5s!

stangaholic280

Established Member
What is Palace Chased? AFROTC is very hard right now. 20 people competed for a FT slot at my detachment and only 7 received it. It's about 40% select for non-technical degree.

Palace Chase is a program where active duty members can separate and serve the rest of their owed time as a Reservist/Guardsman.

As for the %'s, the Capt from my school was telling me about 70-80%. Either way, competition doesn't scare me...if I have to out-run them, out-march them, out-smart them, I will.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Palace Chase is a program where active duty members can separate and serve the rest of their owed time as a Reservist/Guardsman.

As for the %'s, the Capt from my school was telling me about 70-80%. Either way, competition doesn't scare me...if I have to out-run them, out-march them, out-smart them, I will.

Ahh ok, 2 people are actually doing that at my detachment (Army and AF). Good luck because i'm sure you'll do great:beer:.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Aw man, you got stationed at Sheppard, I don't know what I do if I got stuck in that hell hole. I'd probably become an alcoholic and go on a shooting spree.

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
Aw man, you got stationed at Sheppard, I don't know what I do if I got stuck in that hell hole. I'd probably become an alcoholic and go on a shooting spree.

I didn't mind it one bit during tech school. However my home was less than 2 hours away in Dallas.

stangaholic280

Established Member

Been in 5 years, spent my whole time here except for 9 months training at USAFA Colorado Springs.

F...my...life...

Funny thing is even when I separate to go to college, I'll be going here because my wife is a 2nd Lt just stationed here, so she's got a few more years left. :bash:

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I was only there two weeks after Katrina. Yeah eff that place...

I was there too at that time actually. We had a brand new dorm and had 2 floors of our building empty. So they piled all of the people from Keesler(sp?) in there.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Been in 5 years, spent my whole time here except for 9 months training at USAFA Colorado Springs.

F...my...life...

Funny thing is even when I separate to go to college, I'll be going here because my wife is a 2nd Lt just stationed here, so she's got a few more years left. :bash:

Suga Momma Nice:coolman:

I was there too at that time actually. We had a brand new dorm and had 2 floors of our building empty. So they piled all of the people from Keesler(sp?) in there.
I was in the CE dorms. I walked out of room after "curfew" to get a drink of water. Fountain was 5 feet from my door. An MTL happened to be down the hall. He screamed at me like I was raping him... Next day the CE troops were having a "fight club" in the hall way. The same MTL comes around the corner and sees it "Hey guys quit being crazy. Go back into your rooms and clean yourselves up." WTF:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread