Palace Chase (USAF) is kicking my A$$

OU812

Established Member
Good luck on the palace chase thing man, I actually tried to get out with the early separation. What they don't tell you is that it's only certain career fields, not anyone like they make it out to be. AFPC denied my request and sent me a link to the careers fields and year groups that they will release, mine was considered to be at minimal manning all the way up to the 14 year mark. So basically I would have to be over 14 years before they would let me go. I was going to palace chase and do the reserve thing but the job I had lined up wouldn't take me if I still had ties to the US military. I had a job offer to work for the Qatari AF making $150K+ a year!

You don't want that air trans job, trust me! Depending on what section you end up in, you could be real unhappy. Those guys get treated about as bad as we in maintenance do, if that's even possible. Also, I don't see what the big deal is with the loadmaster career field. Everybody seems to think that job is the best job out there, I flew for almost 5 years as a flying crew chief on C-17s and worked closely with the loads, I've had to show a few of them how to do their job multiple times because I knew more about the plane than they did, that job isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's actually pretty damn boring!

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
you want to palace chase in this economy? wow.

He is doing it to further his career on the O side of the house, nothing wrong with that. The Reserve and Guard offer oppurtunities for full time employment if he changes his mind about ROTC. I've been full-time Guard since 2005 when I Palace Chased, hell I even made more money than I would have in AD.

OU812

Established Member
He is doing it to further his career on the O side of the house, nothing wrong with that. The Reserve and Guard offer oppurtunities for full time employment if he changes his mind about ROTC. I've been full-time Guard since 2005 when I Palace Chased, hell I even made more money than I would have in AD.

Yep....if you play your cards right you'll make way more money. I worked with a TSgt(E-6) reservist in Charleston that had been activated since 2001. He was getting per diem to be in Charleston not to mention his BAH for Atlanta. When it was all said and done he was clearing $90K a year. He got off orders in the summer of 2010 and retired last month as a MSgt(E-7). He said that all those years being activated he was investing the money and he's set for good!

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member

i know about ARTs. but he didn't mention it, so... with ROTC, do you just do that and then go straight back to active?

stangaholic280

Established Member
i know about ARTs. but he didn't mention it, so... with ROTC, do you just do that and then go straight back to active?

Yes. After completing ROTC you are the commissioned as an AD Officer and in my case my reserve commitment will then be forgiven for my AD commitment....almost like reverse Palace Chase lol.

As for the economy...don't forget about my sugar mama. She puts on 1st Lt in June. :)

Plus...if I gave up that easy, I'd never accomplish anything. Nothing worth having comes easy.

-----------

As for the Air Trans job...it might be my only shot. EVERYONE has told me no...people just don't want a 1 level and my job (4R071) is full at every base within 6 hours of me. I don't have time for a lengthy tech school before ROTC starts. In fact I may have to go on a waiting list and do Tech training during summer break. I guess if I have to put up with a shitty job, then that's what I'll have to do. It's only 2 days a month so I can handle that. It will just make the commission all that much sweeter. :beer:

Last edited:

stangaholic280

Established Member
Well...FML some more. After months of calling, emailing, and searching for a job the recruiter emails me this morning and tells me that the Force Shaping Palace Chase program has been closed and since I didn't have a job my package was not secure and got booted.

He told me I can start over from square 1 and apply for regular Palace Chase if I want. It sucks though because with standard PC I have pay back my reenlistment bonus which I've received over 15k of so far...

Also my career is only 99% manned so I'll probably get rejected anyways. I asked my superintendent if he would call my career field manager and ask if applying would be worth while or if it is a lost cause.

I guess we'll see what comes of it. :shrug:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Well...FML some more. After months of calling, emailing, and searching for a job the recruiter emails me this morning and tells me that the Force Shaping Palace Chase program has been closed and since I didn't have a job my package was not secure and got booted.

He told me I can start over from square 1 and apply for regular Palace Chase if I want. It sucks though because with standard PC I have pay back my reenlistment bonus which I've received over 15k of so far...

Also my career is only 99% manned so I'll probably get rejected anyways. I asked my superintendent if he would call my career field manager and ask if applying would be worth while or if it is a lost cause.

I guess we'll see what comes of it. :shrug:

Go Air Force! Kicking people out that want to stay in and not letting those out that want out:nonono:

Good luck man hope everything works out!

stangaholic280

Established Member
Another update. Under advisement of my Reserve Liason I applied for standard Palace Chase. My career field is 99% manned, so it's pretty much up in the air whether I will get it or not.

If I do get it...ROTC here I come. If I don't I'll be busting my ass trying to get into one of the commissioning programs that the Air Force offers.

It's really disappointing to me that they preach career progression and opportunities to you over and over, but someone like me who is trying to take advantage can't catch a break. :shrug:

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Depending on the base/unit you're with, you may not deploy much at all. AFSPC doesn't deploy much at all because they don't have the manning. Usually AFMC squadrons get hit with all the tasks because they don't do anything but LE/Flightline security. Even those kind of bases, you can always tell your Mobility manager what your situation is and if he can afford it, he'll put another guy in your spot. I did 6 years and only deployed 2 times. But I moved around alot (4 bases) so they couldn't catch me...:banana:

SF isn't too bad, though. It all depends on where you work in the field.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Well, got declined today...because of "manning". Funny thing is the overabundance of people in my department spend most of their day on facebook, youtube, craigslist, and playing iPhone.

Kind sucks a person with some ambition can't progress b/c of that. I know I know...it's AF wide manning, but according to the Career Advisor on base, my career field was at 99% about 3 weeks ago.

Oh well, I guess on to Plan D...AECP Program.

Users who are viewing this thread