painting my brakes

SonicBeast

Established Member
so ive taken off and cleaned my calipers with brake cleaner and a wire brush but im not sure what to do next. theyre clean but not paint ready clean. i tried wiping them down with shop towels and more cleaner and it seems to be kind of endless. i dont wanna get to crazy with chemicals cuz of the rubber seals around the pistons. what did you guys do?

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Tape the seals over several times and go to home depot and get the most hardcore paint stripper they have. WEAR GLOVES.

That's what I did, came out great

C.Wied

Matt99

Built not Bought
Established Member
When I did mine, I used a 3M scuff pad, same thing used to scuff up paint also used wax and grease remover to clean and dry up what ever grease was left. Here's a picture of the pad I used
aqa2agev.jpg

0302Cobra

Established Member
I did the rears of my 98GT daily driver four years ago with just the cleaner and the brush. Paint still looks perfect. I just did all four on my 04 Cobra last month too. I would not worry about it to much. If you hit it with plenty of brake cleaner and the wire brush they will come out fine and the paint will last. If you are going to spray do several light coats as in indicated on the can. I have done spray and brush before. For rears I think the brush is easier and comes out nice but on the larger fronts spray looks a lot better.

cobracide

Established Member
Sprayed my calipers down with brake cleaner good, let dry. Kept painting them coat after coat on thick in one session. Came out great. Not the greatest pic but you get the idea.

MyPics%252520206.JPG

SonicBeast

Established Member
Thanks guys. I got some stripper today and am going to use it tomorrow. Autozone also has a caliper degreaser that is meant to be sprayed on and evaporate right before u paint so i may try that also. The rears are such a pain on this car. I read that removing the spring is a huge headache but it's really rough to get some areas clean with them on. I'll prolly just leave them on tho. That backside isn't really visible on the car anyways.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Thanks guys. I got some stripper today and am going to use it tomorrow. Autozone also has a caliper degreaser that is meant to be sprayed on and evaporate right before u paint so i may try that also. The rears are such a pain on this car. I read that removing the spring is a huge headache but it's really rough to get some areas clean with them on. I'll prolly just leave them on tho. That backside isn't really visible on the car anyways.

Yeah the spring is a real bitch, but it's all worth it. Good luck post the results.

C.Wied

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
When I did mine, I used a 3M scuff pad, same thing used to scuff up paint also used wax and grease remover to clean and dry up what ever grease was left. Here's a picture of the pad I used
aqa2agev.jpg

This and spray some brake parts cleaner and scrub at the same time

That's what I did

6429ee85.jpg

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Duplicolor Caliper paint is what i would recommend. used it on my rears and loved it. Used a different on part of my fronts and was not as happy with the results. Good luck.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
That looks awesome! What kind of paint did you use? I would like to do this to mine as well! Advice would be much appreciated, thanks!! :beer:

It was a Duplicolor Caliper spraypaint, like stated above brake parts cleaner, and a scotch brite pad. At the same time, I also removed them from the car.

SonicBeast

Established Member
i finally got my brakes finished up and renstalled on the car. i bolted everything back up but this is my first experience with the brakes on this car so im not sure if i just reconnect the line and im good to go or if i have to bleed them or something? im going to top off the fluid because they did leak some fluid when i took them apart. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
Gotta bleed them. Go in order from front right to rear right to rear left to front left. I just did mine the other night. Bled them about four times just to get some nasty stuff out and still had a little air in the rears. When your done and you don't have any air make sure you have a hard pedal and that it doesn't go to the floor

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I just finished this today. I painted mine a few years ago and since I was putting new rotors, pads and SS lines I decided to re-do them. I used Aircraft stripper then sanded with 600-1000 grit then used wax/silicone remover to prep. Did the brackets with VHT silver and the calipers with VHT red.

photo69_zps96334aa2.jpg

photo66_zps114dd06b.jpg

photo70_zps9b2fbb46.jpg

Rear
photo67_zpscce67441.jpg
photo68_zps4a8a3b7e.jpg

wesking1

Established Member
Doing mine also can the rear caliper be removed without taking the parking brake spring off?

Users who are viewing this thread