Picture010.jpg

Picture015.jpg

199953_759720387356_26509302_38771255_7962116_n.jpg

196317_759720487156_26509302_38771257_5544651_n.jpg

mike.jpg

Last edited:

Zimm11

Established Member
ah got it, im not good with painting so i was curious. im thinking of trying the rattle can but all black for me.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I was skeptical...but those rolling shots taken by me seal the deal. It looks sweet on the car.

Stalker27

Established Member
Thanx guys, these black wheels really changed the look & attitude of the car & i think the little red really sets off the black. I'm really pleased but i also know they wont last as long as a powdercoated wheels

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
I was skeptical...but those rolling shots taken by me seal the deal. It looks sweet on the car.

Lol alot of people were. Dude, the rolling shots are awesome. Gf & i couldnt stop looking at them. Before we went to the house i stopped at Burlington's big parking lot and let her drive around so i could see it rollin lol

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Well I guess I will be the one, I think it looks dumb. I saw a honda civic with the same style rims. I hate color in rims, they should be shades (grey, black, white, chrome). Not red. But good on you for being different.

Stalker27

Established Member
I'm curious how you preped the wheels to paint them and how long the paint will last. I think it looks great!

Took off the wheels and sprayed the backs of the wheels good with Greased Lightning (orange blast) & scubbed em good with a stiff brush. The backs of my wheels were very nasty & hard to get clean. Then i washed them again with Meguiars soap.

I then took 400 grit sandpaper and wet sanded the entire rim good (backs also)

Washed them again

Let dry, wiped down with alchohol

Sprayed 3 coats Filler Primer doing the rear 1st. Once i could tell they were really dry. Doesnt take long for primer. I then layed them down on a piece of soft plastic rim side up and placed big flash cards between the rim & tire. Now i did my 3 coats of filler primer on the front

Once that was dry (doesnt take long for primer) I took off the flash cards, stood the tire up and hit it with the 1st coat of black rolling the tire as i went. I did this for 3 coats.

When that was dry i layed rim back down i put flash cards back between rims & painted the front side black. I put 4 coats on front

Once the black was fully dry i started taping off the rims. I placed a piece of newspaper in the center and taped it down wih blue painters tape then followed that up with alot of blue tape to cover everything but the lip. On the flat part closes to the lip use small sections and use the flattest/straightest part of the tape as close as you can get to the edge of the lip covering the flat part up. You will have the entire wheel covered (minus the backside) but lip will be exposed.

Now wipe lip down with alchohol, let that dry then hit it with a light coat of red on the back side of the lip. Between lip & flash cards. Once dry hit the front of the lip. I did a total of 4 coats of red on the lip

WHen that is dry i pulled of tape, wiped down, then used alchohol again to wipe down. I then sprayed 2 coats of clear on then baked them out in the sun all day for two days. WHen you hit it with clear it will turn a gunmetal color on you so dont freak. The sun will give it a flat black color to it

Take your time and dont rush. You won't do this in one day

Edit: This won't last nearly as long as powdercoat. I did this cause i was tired of seeing my blah stock rims. I just wanted to see how they would look like this & now this has convinced me my next rims WILL BE black cobra rims that have been powdercoated & then i will take those to a local powdercoater to powdercoat the lips red

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
Well I guess I will be the one, I think it looks dumb. I saw a honda civic with the same style rims. I hate color in rims, they should be shades (grey, black, white, chrome). Not red. But good on you for being different.

No worries its not for everyone :beer:

04cobrawhine

Established Member
damn that looks sick. i was going to take mine somewhere to get done but this is a lot cheaper lol. what kind of paint did u use? like brands? high temp? also when u sayed u rolled the rims when painting, was that so the paint didnt run down in spots? also, were these polished before or chrome? would this same process work with chrome rims? sorry for all the questions lol

Users who are viewing this thread