Pacesetters LT install

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Starter the install today and ended up doing a bit of drinking after 12... :)
here are some pictures:
headers_zps427ecd5e.jpg

Couldn't be more excited about the tools i bought to help with the install instead of paying for labor!
headers2_zps05fb1f6e.jpg

Ran into a few problems with the EGR delete. Tube did not want to be removed or unscrewed. Took a bit of bending but was done ~ 2 hours wasted. Will close vacuum lines on after install. Removed all the studs to use the smaller Pacesetter bolts. Will install headers tomorrow and hopefully finish tomorrow. Broke two Harbor Freight tools within 1 hour.... Thank god for lifetime warranty!
Could not be happier with the confidence I am currently building!
As she sits now:
headers3_zps24600551.jpg

Keep in mind this is just your average engineering student who dies to get his hands on some real fun for once!
EDIT: There shouldn't be any reason not to do this install yourself! Learn a lot about your car! it's not that difficult and time should not be a factor! I'm either at school before 9 AM and at work (crash testing facility) until 5 pm.

Last edited:

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Let me know what you do about a midpipe. I have Hooker LTs with the 3" exit and am wondering what to do about mating them to an X pipe.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I talked to a muffler shop before hand becasue I wanted to keep my cats. They said to install it and then they would fab me a connector with it on the car. I trust them since they do a lot of work with custom headers and immedietely said they did not want to just reduce the end of the collector when it was off the car since that would ruin the headers. I'm going to give them free will to hack the shit out of my mid pipe. They said they could do it for under $100

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The OEM Ford studs/nuts and gaskets are tough to beat, I wouldnt go backwards from a stud to a bolt. Do what you want, its your car.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
The OEM Ford studs/nuts and gaskets are tough to beat, I wouldnt go backwards from a stud to a bolt. Do what you want, its your car.

You can't use all ford studs because the studs for cylinder 7 hit the tubes on cylinder 8, or the studs on 6 hit the tubes on 7. Ask me how i know. Oh and use new OEM gaskets!!

Also, if you have a tune or a tuner....turn off the rear o2. Even tho you still gonna have cats, they maybe too far away for normal cat function.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I cut the studs down where I had issue, then of course cleaned the threads up. It added time but I could retain the studs. It has been that way for 4 years now.

MrSteve

Established Member
Damn I need that damn thing you have for the engine, looks pretty sweet LOL Nice isntall, I used the stage 8 locking header bolts, they rock.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Total time was 16 hours done over two days. A few problems stumped us for a few hours. The stock studs were not going to stay on. Even had to dremel down one of the bolts.
EGR tube did not want to come out.
Need to take it to an exhaust shop on Monday to fab the mid pipe to the headers. If anyone has any questions about the install just hit me up. Here is a video of first start up just for fun. Too tired to drag it over to youtube.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200436751818683

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Nice. If you could, some pics of that midpipe would be cool when it's all fabbed up. You are running 2.5 correct?

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Nice. If you could, some pics of that midpipe would be cool when it's all fabbed up. You are running 2.5 correct?

I'll try and have those pics on Monday. The pacesetters have a 3 inch collector and the mid pipe is 2.5 inches. Would have gone with the pacesetter X but I wanted to retain my high flow cats.

Richter888

Established Member
I'm running the exact same header. Please make sure your steering shaft clears properly as mine did not. Also I suggest using an Oem type header gasket, as i personally could not get mine to seal otherwise. Those Mr gasket seals suck a big one. Hope you like the headers.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Is there a write up online with the HF engine support tool?

Also what type of midpipe do you have? I have a Bassani catted X and was wondering if it would be possible to take off the pipe from the header to the cat and just make a small connector from longtube to the cat.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Is there a write up online with the HF engine support tool?

Also what type of midpipe do you have? I have a Bassani catted X and was wondering if it would be possible to take off the pipe from the header to the cat and just make a small connector from longtube to the cat.

14991_1330134365909_6094551_n.jpg

I made my own with some scrap 2x4's and picked up some heavy duty chain from Home Depot, worked like a charm. Just backed out the lower alternator bolts and used those. Also had a stack of wood under the oil pan for cheap insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread