oxygenated fuel

boostmonkey

Established Member
Will the use of oxygenated fuel increase the chance of developing the tick. Has anyone had any problems wiith using this fuel. I try to avoid using it, but have to travel much farther to get regular fuel.

Thank you:rockon:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Oxygenated fuel will not cause pinging unless your car is tuned to be right on the edge (advanced timing or lean) before using it.

In normal (closed loop) operation the ECU will adjust for the leaner A/F ratio this stuff is supposed to cause. At WOT it won't totally adjust, so you'll run a little leaner.

You will see a little less fuel mileage, as the fuel has less potential energy in it.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Well i 99% of the time i fill up at Sunoco only. Last week @ Shell i filled up and there was a sign saying from Nov 1st to Feb 29th that they add some chemical to the fuel for the winter. Oxygenated? Well anyway the next day my buddy wants to go for a ride in my car since he has never been in it. I get on it and it starts detonating! Went easy with it until it was empty. Went back to Sunoco filled up and no more detonation. Not even with the Temp being in the 20s-30s a few nights. So there is a chance you may develop some pinging or detonation.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Some years ago I work'd for a gas company. The 10% they advertise because the car cant handle more isnt always 10% I setup gas stations I know whats going on with the ethonol and the 10% thinking its always a perfect mix I dont even want to tell you what happens matter of fact I plead the 5th.

As far as Octang goes there is many ways to get octang. Some companys opt for using butane to boost #'s I have a friend that works for a gas refinery.

Also did you know the part of people thinking gas gets stale is true as the octang evaps from the gas when it hits Oxygen.

Some retailers even buy from the pipeline around her direct so we can get high octang fuel (thank god there gear heads) Interesting is they also know it evaps off so they get it at 93 octang but advertise it as 91 because of the transporting it from tankers to tanks. Dont take the chance they adv. higher than what it is.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
To add a little more fuel to the fire, as of Jan. 1st, MTBE is being phased out in favor of some other additive.

Users who are viewing this thread