Own GT350, drove 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

Twinpwr

Established Member
My step-Dad just received his 2017 grand sport, manual.

We did autocross yesterday. Prior he'd never beat me in his C6 corvette against my GTR or GT350. He destroyed me by 3 seconds. I rode with him a few times and it's insanely capable.

I test drove an automatic today and it's even faster, shifts really fast with paddles.

I wish I hadn't driven one, it's more capable than Shelby in every way; acceleration, handling, and brakes. We were hitting 1.25 g's during autocross.

I'm gong to drive Shelby for now and buy used Grand Sport. First I need to know if mid-engine Corvette will be a reality.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Corvettes are a bargain. You can get a zo6 for over $20k off MSRP, 2017 GS is already going for up to $15k off! So, you could get a GS for the same price or less than a gt350. Incredible value for sure.

How does GM afford to keep making these cars? I remember last gen z06s going for $20k off and even then sitting on lots unsold for months and months.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/19ca8410

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/19eca12a

Seems like no one wants them. I wish the same applied to the gt350. I'd have loved to pay 10s of thousands under MSRP!!!

Other than that, I agree. It's the weight, balance and low center of gravity. It will always be a more capable car than any GT / pony car, although the gtr seems to defy physics.

I actually came close to buying a 15 z06. Car is a ****ing animal, but just not something I need right now. I can't trade backseats, civility and comfort. My car spends most it's time on the street, not a track.

If only I had a bigger garage and a lot more money...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I drove an auto '15 Z06 on a track for a few laps, I absolutely hated the A8 and the paddle shifters. I test drove a used '15 Z06 M7 and almost bought it until I came to my senses. I just can't justify buying such an expensive car for myself. $8,000 in taxes and then will lose $6,000-$8,000 a year in value for a car that I may drive twice a month.

chuckstang

Established Member
Corvettes are everywhere, GT350s not so much. Dare to be different, stick with the GT350. Maybe add the R spec tires and some light wheels, and bump the power up a bit and that out to suffice...

mike69440

Established Member
I'm too old big & stiff and practical to own a Corvette, but it sure would be a nice car if Caddy made something close in performance to fit, in a shouting brake style, etc.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Corvettes are everywhere, GT350s not so much. Dare to be different, stick with the GT350. Maybe add the R spec tires and some light wheels, and bump the power up a bit and that out to suffice...
Not a great comparison. I have yet to see a C7 Grand Sport. I've seen a very small amount of C7 Z06's. There are atleast 3 GT350's roaming around my neighborhoods (one an R driven by an 18-21 year old). Calling a Z06 or a GS a "Corvette" is like calling a GT350 a "Mustang". Both are true, but there are easily way more Mustangs.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Not a great comparison. I have yet to see a C7 Grand Sport. I've seen a very small amount of C7 Z06's. There are atleast 3 GT350's roaming around my neighborhoods (one an R driven by an 18-21 year old). Calling a Z06 or a GS a "Corvette" is like calling a GT350 a "Mustang". Both are true, but there are easily way more Mustangs.
Opposite for me, I haven't seen another gt350 yet. Well over 10 z06s, I live in old mans land though. They all buy corvettes, and the king shit old farts buy the z06.

I've even seen their old wives driving them to the shopping mall. What happens when you put an automatic with paddle shifters and a removable roof. It turns into a Porsche boxster

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
How does GM afford to keep making these cars? I remember last gen z06s going for $20k off and even then sitting on lots unsold for months and months.

It's all marketing. There are a few options

1. Price a car close to it's actual transaction price. Doesn't generate much buzz.
2. Price a car significantly higher than the the ATP. A few people inevitably pony up full/close to retail, and you are just printing money at that point. Discount them later, and you bring in a lot of buyers who believe they are stealing the car with these huge discount. You can make more money with option #2.

The C7 has been selling very well, with production at historically high levels. They are investing hundreds of millions into Bowling Green for the future. They sold ~11K Z06 last year, which is incredible when you think about the cost and it's limited practicality.

krt22

Established Member
The lower curb weight, lower CG, and low end torque all give the vette a big advantage in AX. As awesome as the GT350 is, nothing about it screams good AX car. On the big track the gap will close IMO. I wont deny the C7 GS is great on paper, but I will still take the uniqueness and rarity of the GT350 over it all day since im not racing anyone for time or money.

krt22

Established Member

The GS was just released, its only been on lots for a few months were as the GT350 is now in its 2nd full year of production. The Z06 is also much higher priced so that also impacts how many you might see (really depends on the area). Either way the corvette is still a high production models, there will be more Z06s made when its all said and done than all GT350s combined.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
You can get 2016 C7 Z06 1lz with level 1 aero for around $73k....brand new 650hp/650tq car...I definitely don't see Z06's everywhere either LOL...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I've also noticed a LOT of GT350s around. The way Ford and everyone is hyping up its limited production/availability, I thought I'd never actually see one on the road. I see them all the time. So much for exclusivity. Out of a whole year, I might see 1 or 2 other GT500s. Just last weekend I saw 2 GT350s within about 15 minutes of each other in the same neighborhood! Both were white. One had blue stripes. The other had black stripes.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've also noticed a LOT of GT350s around. The way Ford and everyone is hyping up its limited production/availability, I thought I'd never actually see one on the road. I see them all the time. So much for exclusivity. Out of a whole year, I might see 1 or 2 other GT500s. Just last weekend I saw 2 GT350s within about 15 minutes of each other in the same neighborhood! Both were white. One had blue stripes. The other had black stripes.

I'd say that's just lucky though.

There aren't that many more GT350's than GT500's.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'd say that's just lucky though.

There aren't that many more GT350's than GT500's.

I don't think it's luck. I really do mean I see them all the time, not just that instance. I drove by 3 on the Blue Ridge Pkwy one day. If you drive in and around Moorseville, NC, you can see them all day on the weekends. Which my thoughts then become "where the hell are they finding all these GT350s??" Followed by "I can only imagine how badly they got taken at the dealership."

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I still see GT500's more often than GT350's. But the GT350's are definitely not as rare as I was expecting. I still want one tho.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess it just depends on your area. I've seen 1 cruising around up by me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I still see GT500's more often than GT350's. But the GT350's are definitely not as rare as I was expecting. I still want one tho.

Me, too!! I will say that I've not seen an R yet, whether it be showroom or on the road. Now, though, I'm actually looking forward to the new ZL1, Z28 and whatever GT500 Ford drops. That ZL1 looks badass, and I could easily be swayed at this point.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Anadotic Evidence is Anadotic.

Just run the production numbers and compare those.

krt22

Established Member
Bingo. Production numbers are nearly identical as the GT500, what you see in the wild will just depend on your area.

Users who are viewing this thread