Overheating in Phoenix

foxspy

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading up on all the "common" overheating issues, but I am still having a problem figuring out the cause...

My setup:
Stock longblick
2.9 Whipple
C&L intake
Reische 170* stat
Head cooling mod
Killer Chiller

My car will run fine with the A/C off. This morning it was 82* outside and after a 30 mile drive, the ect was at 179* (using OBDII Torque app). Yesterday I made the same drive, but with the A/C on and the ect was 208*. When it's 105+ outside (which is alot) then my ect will get to 228* with the A/C on and about 203*with it off. I can hear the fan running when the A/C is on, and I've burped the coolant system a few times.

Any suggestions or advice on why it's running so hot?

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
interesting to see what some say.. this is the reason I don't drive the termee in the summer..lol..

with the A/C on the pcm normally adds a few more degrees of timing.. and then you have the heat off the condenser being transferred into the radiator...

I wish I could help more..

hotcobra03

Established Member
im having same issue,im at a toss between ac compressor vs clogged radiator,

i havent had enough over 100 yet to do more testing,,

i just did the 170 tstat which helped at idle ,,but plan on ac comp change next since thats what seems to be change making overheating,,

when i got it hot last time,238,it was able to cool down with ac off and engine running at idle in parking lot hood open,iat was reading 160 ,,ac has leak..

low temp 182 at idle with over 100 deg outside

Hey guys,

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading up on all the "common" overheating issues, but I am still having a problem figuring out the cause...

My setup:
Stock longblick
2.9 Whipple
C&L intake
Reische 170* stat
Head cooling mod
Killer Chiller

My car will run fine with the A/C off. This morning it was 82* outside and after a 30 mile drive, the ect was at 179* (using OBDII Torque app). Yesterday I made the same drive, but with the A/C on and the ect was 208*. When it's 105+ outside (which is alot) then my ect will get to 228* with the A/C on and about 203*with it off. I can hear the fan running when the A/C is on, and I've burped the coolant system a few times.

Any suggestions or advice on why it's running so hot?

These temps are cruising on the highway or in stop and go traffic? That's an important detail.

And I'm assuming you've checked under the car to make sure that your radiator air deflector is still in place?

foxspy

Established Member
These temps are cruising on the highway or in stop and go traffic? That's an important detail.

And I'm assuming you've checked under the car to make sure that your radiator air deflector is still in place?

Those temps are on the highway, I am too scared to see what it'll do in stop/go traffic.

The radiator air deflector wasn't on the car when I got it, but just put it on 3 days ago. It seems like it takes a little longer to get hot, but it still gets hot.

racebronco2

Established Member
It's an airflow problem. Have you ever cleaned out you radiator or condensor. It's filled with rocks, sand, bug and leaves. I have cleaned my out 3 times so far. I have 52,000 miles on my car. It's not helping that the Killer Chiller is on all the time. It's preheating the air before it gets to the radiator.

I have had a Mark VIII fan on my car for years now so that may help you out in the city but on the highway it's not going to matter. Is your radiator boxed in?

Last edited:

foxspy

Established Member
The radiator is not boxed in. I'll look into the clogged condenser, what's the best way to clean that out?

I just put the Killer Chiller on, and hasn't changed the coolant temps.

Mystic03

Established Member
have you tried some coolant additives like royal puprle or water wetter..i had to drive my SB cobra today i forgot my xcal so i could not datalog temps :(

foxspy

Established Member
have you tried some coolant additives like royal puprle or water wetter..i had to drive my SB cobra today i forgot my xcal so i could not datalog temps :(

Yes, I am running 20% antifreeze with AmsOil additive.

GTpower01

Established Member
Used to live in tempe az.... Heat is horrible for the cobras and not to mention the dust storms are horrible for the paint!!

rezcobra

Established Member
My cobra never had adequate cooling since new. Got hot in 95 degree weather when the AC was on and driving in traffic. I lived in Scottsdale and it was driving without AC most of the time. But lately and 11 years later its getting worse. So I'm getting rid of the factory radiator and getting a 3 core Fluidyne. Its 1 and 1/4 inch thicker. Then a new s/c intercooler radiator. Replaced fan already. I think the radiator on mine is getting clogged. Check yours.

foxspy

Established Member
A little update...

I put in a new condenser, it might have helped a little, but it's still getting too hot with the A/C on when the outside temps are over 95*.

Last night the outside temps were around 80* and after a 40 mile drive with the A/C off my coolant temps were at 176*.

So I ordered a new Mishimoto radiator, and hopefully that will fix my overheating issues. I'm hoping my stock radiator is semi clogged and can't keep up once the outside temps get higher.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
With the AC off your temps at cruise seem to be fine...not sure how that is a radiator issue? Your issue seems to be when your AC is turned on only. What are you temps in stop n go traffic in the heat with AC off for an extended peirod of time? I have a similar issue, but I'm also turbo-charged so that doesn't help matters. My temps cruising with AC on the last time I checked was around 194 at night (outside temp was ~93). Once I get in stop n go traffic, the temps will slowly rise...if I stay in traffic for say 30 minutes, they will get up to 216 and at that point I just turn the AC off....I think its a function of the fact that once the coolant gets heated to a certain point, the stock fans can't keep up. The only think I haven't tried yet is actually doing a flush of my radiator.

foxspy

Established Member
I fixed the problem. The welded fitting for the overflow hose on the radiator was seeping coolant out. I got the Mishimoto radiator in and all is well now.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
good to hear you resolved it, what temps are you seeing now for engine coolant, and IAT's?

Last edited:

foxspy

Established Member
good to hear you resolved it, what temps are you seeing now for engine coolant, and IAT's?

This screen shot was after 30 miles on the highway, I was going 70mph. I also had the Killer Chiller bypassing the heat exchanger.

taru3y7a.jpg

I need to close the small gap between the radiator shroud and the radiator for better cooling while doing stop and go traffic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread