overheated and AC blew warm?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I've had my Cobra for a few years now and this is the first this has happened. Here are the exact symptoms... I sat in traffic for a little while and I noticed the AC started to blow warm air. After a bit I see my temp gage move over toward the red. I didn't let it get too far over before I parked it ( it moved half way over to the red from normal position). Opened up the hood and some coolant was coming out the cap. Let it all cool down and drove it back home without a problem (just 5 miles).
Now I've realized something... I let it idle at home and watched it start to overheat after a long time. The radiator fan did not come on! Also, the AC started blowing warm again. When I get back on the highway, the AC will run cold and it doesn't overheat. It's only when I'm idling, where I see the fan isn't cooling the coolant. Anyone know what this is... maybe a relay or something?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I've had my Cobra for a few years now and this is the first this has happened. Here are the exact symptoms... I sat in traffic for a little while and I noticed the AC started to blow warm air. After a bit I see my temp gage move over toward the red. I didn't let it get too far over before I parked it ( it moved half way over to the red from normal position). Opened up the hood and some coolant was coming out the cap. Let it all cool down and drove it back home without a problem (just 5 miles).
Now I've realized something... I let it idle at home and watched it start to overheat after a long time. The radiator fan did not come on! Also, the AC started blowing warm again. When I get back on the highway, the AC will run cold and it doesn't overheat. It's only when I'm idling, where I see the fan isn't cooling the coolant. Anyone know what this is... maybe a relay or something?

Low on coolant I bet.
EDIT: Just read the whole post. Sounds like your fan went. Probably blew the fuse also. Get on new one.

Last edited:

CobraRyan

Banned
when this happend to me i couldnt find a thread with my symptoms so i could figure out what the problem was. Now after i happend i have seen at least 3-4 threads with the same thing happening to other people. Check and see if you can turn your fan manually.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you are idleing or sitting in traffic your fan better be working or you will experience exactly what you described i would think

the low speed fan comes on in stock config at 100c

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Ok, I can turn my fan manually. Can anyone tell where where the exact fuse is? I'm wondering if there is a place to test the fan current with a voltmeter(I see two different plugs for the fan). Also, this would also cause the AC compressor to stop blowing cold?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Well I open up the Battery Junction Box (fuse box) and see that the fuse in location F1.1 was burnt. It's a 50 amp fuse. I let the car warm up while I used it to go get another fuse at Walmart, brought it back home, turned it off and put the fuse in. I started it back up and let it run for a few. The fan came on and soon after the fuse burnt out again! Any ideas?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
You better replace the fan motor. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was in traffic and the AC went bad and then the car overheated. The fan motor went out. I also had a blown fuse (look in the owners manual its a 50 AMP fuse).

Fuses don't just blow they blow for a reason. I suspect my fan motor was on the way out and was not operating correctly and blew the fuse. I bought a new fan assembly from www.oehq.com for $155 and did it myself. If you just replace the fuse it may blow again.

This fixed the AC also.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Well I open up the Battery Junction Box (fuse box) and see that the fuse in location F1.1 was burnt. It's a 50 amp fuse. I let the car warm up while I used it to go get another fuse at Walmart, brought it back home, turned it off and put the fuse in. I started it back up and let it run for a few. The fan came on and soon after the fuse burnt out again! Any ideas?

The fan motor is probably toast and drawing the improper current which is causing the fuse to blow.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Yeah I definately knew there's a reason for the fuse to blow, just didn't know what that reason was! Thanks for the help guys! Time to order a new fan shroud.

Users who are viewing this thread