over heating need help

BackInBlack

Established Member
Car was running fine then last night It started to run real hot pulled over let it cool down and after doing that a couple times I got it home. I changed the thermostat and checked for leaks. Car still overheating. I also noticed that the a/c is blowing warm air.

Last edited:

nik46notch

Established Member
overheating

ive always had difficulty burping these cars until i did it from the crossover. the coolant crossover tube comes out of each head and the upper hose connects to it, the a cap on top of it, a 1/4 in ratchet fits in it,fill it from there,let the car get warm ,shut it down, remove the plug to release anymore air,then fill it again.. the guage in the car will say that its normal but if u watch it on the scan tool and read the ect its probably hot...but do this and u should be fine

BackInBlack

Established Member
So I just need to fill it from the cap and let the car warm up then cool down and add more?

Last edited:

nik46notch

Established Member
if its airbound, when you remove the cap from the coolant crossover, it will hiss until the air is out, at the same time you do this, the water level in the overflow bottle shou;ld go down, thus filling the system, then top off the coolant crossover and the fill the overflow to its mark...

BackInBlack

Established Member
I just filled it through the crossover and the overflow was good. The car is still over heating. Also the A/C doesn't seem to be blowing cold.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Put a funnel in the cross over tube and fill with 50/50 water coolant till you see coolant about an inch into the funnel. It will expand and get higher due to heat. Run it till after the thermo opens for a while. Jack the car up on the front to help, then let the car cool keeping coolant in the funnel. Then top off and cap. Unless you have a bad head gasket(like me) this should do the trick but wouldnt hurt to do this a few times. -Shane

This is what it should look like..well..the process anyhow and not the crap inside.
th_MVI_0033.jpg

BackInBlack

Established Member
so fill it all the way so there is fluid in the funnel and let it run? Then wouldn't the overflow be to full?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
so fill it all the way so there is fluid in the funnel and let it run? Then wouldn't the overflow be to full?

Before you take off the cross over tube plug fill the overflow tank to the line. Put the cap back on. Then take the crossover tube plug out. With the cap on the overflow tank...the level wont move due to pressure of the cap. Then put on the funnel using electrical tape, it makes the best seal. Then pour just enough fluid in the funnel so that you can see it. Then start the car with the heater on all the way. You will notice bubbles come out and keep it going for a few minutes till the thermo opens. If you have a Diablo predator you can watch the thermo in the diagnostics climb. As I said you may have to stop the car, let it cool, keep fluid in the funnel as it will fall when it cools and due to lack of bubbles now in the cooling system. Start the car back up..run it again etc etc. You can do this several times if needed, then take the funnel off, top off the coolant and replace the plug. That should do you..unless as I stated your in my shoes and have a blown head gasket. When you get into boost its lifting my head up thus allowing air into the cooling system. This is over pressurizing the system flushing the coolant out the cap. Good luck and hope this isnt your issue-Shane

Last edited:

CobraRyan

Banned
its probably your fan...those are the symptoms that i experienced 2 weeks ago. First it was a ticking noise that ended up being by fan motor dying because there was a piece comming off my fan that wasnt letting it spin.( i thought i had the TICK) Then the ticking noise went away and my car started acting up, overheating and blowing hot air out of the a/c...make sure your fan is working

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If his AC is blowing hot air how would you think it was the fan? Thats a symtom of air in the system and being that he just change the themo out and didnt bleed it makes sense-Shane

beabout

Established Member
Either air in the system or fan failure... if neither then you have internal problems...

big blue oval

Established Member
If his AC is blowing hot air how would you think it was the fan? Thats a symtom of air in the system and being that he just change the themo out and didnt bleed it makes sense-Shane

The engine cooling fan also doubles as your A/C condensor fan if the engine fan fails the A/C head pressure will skyrocket and the hi/low pressure switch will shut down the A/C compressor to prevent a hose/condensor/compressor/evaporater failure. An easy test for that fan circut is to start the car, turn on the A/C and see if the electric fan is operating, the fan will always operate with the A/C on..........but even if the low speed fan is working with the A/C circut, the high speed circut could fail causing engine overheating.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
He is right if there is a high pressure switch or even if there ain't running with no fan you are not going to get cold air.

BackInBlack

Established Member
Well I properly burped the system and thought I fixed the problem (the a/c was blowing cold as long as the car was at normal temps). Took the car for a ride and there was no over heating for about an hour. Then the car just cutoff at a stop light and wouldnt start. It wouldn't even try to crank over. Waited a little and then it started no problem. Took it to the dealer and they flushed the coolant system and said it had some crap in there and told me to get it flushed again in a week or so. Does this sound right to anyone? Haven't had any issues since this but haven't gone on a long drive eith

Last edited:

beabout

Established Member
Well I properly burped the system and thought I fixed the problem (the a/c was blowing cold as long as the car was at normal temps). Took the car for a ride and there was no over heating for about an hour. Then the car just cutoff at a stop light and wouldnt start. It wouldn't even try to crank over. Waited a little and then it started no problem. Took it to the dealer and they flushed the coolant system and said it had some crap in there and told me to get it flushed again in a week or so. Does this sound right to anyone? Haven't had any issues since this but haven't gone on a long drive eith

Big question would be what kind of "crap". Very important to figure out what went wrong....

Users who are viewing this thread