Over axle pipes

86merc

Established Member
The factory over the axle pipes do not look very restrictive at all. No majorly bad bends. Not sure how the resonators are inside. They could be restrictive I guess.

I bought a used Borla 3" X-pipe and over the axle pipes. Very nice quality. Not sure what I picked up performance wise but the sound is better for sure. About stock at idle and cruising. Slight pedal and it gets a little louder than it was before. Very happy with it.

But anyways, you guys might want to call Borla to see if they will sell the over axle pipes. Might be worth a shot.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The factory over the axle pipes do not look very restrictive at all. No majorly bad bends. Not sure how the resonators are inside. They could be restrictive I guess.

I bought a used Borla 3" X-pipe and over the axle pipes. Very nice quality. Not sure what I picked up performance wise but the sound is better for sure. About stock at idle and cruising. Slight pedal and it gets a little louder than it was before. Very happy with it.

But anyways, you guys might want to call Borla to see if they will sell the over axle pipes. Might be worth a shot.

my guess about 20hp

as for calling borla, theyre stuff is crazzzyyyyy overpriced but as long as your happy thats all that matters :beer:

86merc

Established Member
my guess about 20hp

as for calling borla, theyre stuff is crazzzyyyyy overpriced but as long as your happy thats all that matters :beer:

Agreed. But you don't know what they will say until you try.

And the only reason I bought them is because I get the X-pipe and over the axle pipes for what just the JPC over axle pipes would have cost me. It was a good deal.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Agreed. But you don't know what they will say until you try.

And the only reason I bought them is because I get the X-pipe and over the axle pipes for what just the JPC over axle pipes would have cost me. It was a good deal.

Yea i think im going to cut my resonators off and leave the stock midpipe on this time, ill keep my o/r pipe in the basement till i cant take it anymore hahahaha

RioRed4v

Established Member
That is a lot of cash to spend for minimal gains. Aside from L/T's and midpipe changes, there is not a lot of HP to found by changing out the full catback.

It includes a mid-pipe, just doesnt have the cat-delete pipes. So I would just need to get those to go full exhaust on it.

And yea, its alot of money. Not really fond of the price, but I figure it'll give me the most power and also (hopefully) give me the sound I'm looking for. I think at this point its either the full Bassani Exhaust, Kooks catback, or Corsa axle-back.

Plus, I don't want to hack up the stock exhaust to just remove the resonators.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member

Borla does sell a set of over axle pipes, but they are 2.75" as well. Along with being even more pricey than the JPC pieces.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
555-31162_4.jpg

JEGS Performance Products 31162 JEGS 2011-Up Mustang GT Exhaust

This is what I have. Its 3 inch mandrel bent stainless steel from cat to axle. The fit and quality is ok, you have to fine tune it, but it sure beats paying 300 for just 2.75 over axle pipes. Was definitely the better deal in my eyes, even with having to fiddle around to make it fit.

Not to mention it sounds GREAT and ALL bottlenecks are removed.

AND you can even get the aluminized steel version for 299...

JPC is a little too pricey for what you get...

scotmach

Established Member
555-31162_4.jpg

JEGS Performance Products 31162 JEGS 2011-Up Mustang GT Exhaust

This is what I have. Its 3 inch mandrel bent stainless steel from cat to axle. The fit and quality is ok, you have to fine tune it, but it sure beats paying 300 for just 2.75 over axle pipes. Was definitely the better deal in my eyes, even with having to fiddle around to make it fit.

Not to mention it sounds GREAT and ALL bottlenecks are removed.

AND you can even get the aluminized steel version for 299...

JPC is a little too pricey for what you get...

That looks a lot like the Heartthrob kit. They must make it for Jegs. And yea a lot of fiddling needs to be done to get it to fit. I had it and have a lift and it still took some work.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
That looks a lot like the Heartthrob kit. They must make it for Jegs. And yea a lot of fiddling needs to be done to get it to fit. I had it and have a lift and it still took some work.

Yup, it is the heartthrob kit rebadged for jegs. Its cheaper than buying it as a heartthrob system.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Really wish I could just buy the over-axle section.

Not sure what to do about my "dilemma". Decided on Corsa Extreme axleback and am pretty sure I'm going to use the Lethal X-pipe. Seems like JPC and Borla are the only companies that sell over-axle pipes and they are both only 2.75". Not sure if those will match up to the 3" X and axle-backs ideally or not, but aside from that, I would prefer to keep it all 3" :bash: Really not sure what to do. I liked that the JPC ones gained power over stock, so I definitely would prefer to replace the stock pieces:whine:

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Really wish I could just buy the over-axle section.

Not sure what to do about my "dilemma". Decided on Corsa Extreme axleback and am pretty sure I'm going to use the Lethal X-pipe. Seems like JPC and Borla are the only companies that sell over-axle pipes and they are both only 2.75". Not sure if those will match up to the 3" X and axle-backs ideally or not, but aside from that, I would prefer to keep it all 3" :bash: Really not sure what to do. I liked that the JPC ones gained power over stock, so I definitely would prefer to replace the stock pieces:whine:

I feel 100% the same way as you lol.

mustang_guy

Established Member
Stock '10-'12 GT500 Over Axle Pipes are what your looking for....
try to find a used set! I have been scouring the boards and craigslist for a while now. Found a set out of state (too much to ship though)

They have NO resonators in them.....or you can find an exhaust shop that will cut them out and weld in 2.75" pipe in their place for cheap!

What's the difference between the 5.0 and GT500 over the axle pipes?

twistedneck

Established Member
how much louder is it, with out reasonators? i have bassani axle backs. i like the way they sound. seems like all the 5.0s dont have that deep sound like the 4.6s

I had corsa sport mufflers, kooks lt headers with catted x pipe. when i put on the jpc resonator delete over axle pipes it became loud like an F1 car!! i can't imagine what it would have sounded like w/o the mini cats.

I quickly put the stock mufflers back on, it doesn't sound great but what else could i do except shop around for gt500 mufflers.

Not sure if the gt500's or stock mufflers flow enough.. are they limiting HP with my setup? probably. dont do it if you want to keep your Basanni mufflers. it will be wildly loud.

FYI the JPC pipes are very nice and fit well although sometimes my rear axle bangs into them on very huge bumps. enough to loge them free a couple of times until i tightened the hell out of the clamps. runs great now, just loud enough.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I had corsa sport mufflers, kooks lt headers with catted x pipe. when i put on the jpc resonator delete over axle pipes it became loud like an F1 car!! i can't imagine what it would have sounded like w/o the mini cats.

I quickly put the stock mufflers back on, it doesn't sound great but what else could i do except shop around for gt500 mufflers.

Not sure if the gt500's or stock mufflers flow enough.. are they limiting HP with my setup? probably. dont do it if you want to keep your Basanni mufflers. it will be wildly loud.

FYI the JPC pipes are very nice and fit well although sometimes my rear axle bangs into them on very huge bumps. enough to loge them free a couple of times until i tightened the hell out of the clamps. runs great now, just loud enough.

Was it loud at all RPM's, or just WOT? Only ask since I'm really liking the sound of the Corsa Extreme axle-backs and am pretty set on going with those. If its loud at all RPM's maybe I won't even bother with the over-axle pipes for now and just go with an X-pipe and the axle back.

twistedneck

Established Member
Was it loud at all RPM's, or just WOT? Only ask since I'm really liking the sound of the Corsa Extreme axle-backs and am pretty set on going with those. If its loud at all RPM's maybe I won't even bother with the over-axle pipes for now and just go with an X-pipe and the axle back.

When i had the corsa sports, headers, x pipe with cats - but still full mid pipes with resonators it was quiet at idle and under 2000 low throttle, but got loud after that. sounded excellent and although it was too loud for me, it was tolerable because corsa / kooks just sound great.

but a corsa extreme is soo tiny! not only that, your neighbors will not be pleased in the morning when you wake everyone up in a 5 house radius.

corsa are my favorite sound but if you are doing other stuff to the exhaust get ready for volume.

Users who are viewing this thread