Over and Under on Cams

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
For the last few months we've been hearing rumblings from a few companies trying to get some cams produced for the new 5.0. I figured here would be a good place to speculate how much more power you think cams will bring to the table in these cars.

ViciousJay

Established Member
For the last few months we've been hearing rumblings from a few companies trying to get some cams produced for the new 5.0. I figured here would be a good place to speculate how much more power you think cams will bring to the table in these cars.

i thought i read in one of the newer mustang magazines that cams only gave the car like 13 hp and 7 tq. Dont hold me too it but i think that was on the 2011, it had 3 colored mustangs on the cover

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
no gains?

stock cams are only 12/11 mm lift and 263 duration(208-213 @ 0.050"). they are tiny. cams will make big hp on this motor just like any other.

JPC is up to 480rwhp unpublished and have published 475 rwhp. cams are huge. boss intake is needed because the stock is just too low rpm oriented.

JPC thinks 500+ rwhp with just the boss intake over where they are now.

no gains....13rwhp. try 35rwhp, and still trying all kinds of cams.

book this..."full bolt-ons, stock intake manifold, and cams only= 455rwhp."

Last edited:

Dave_6

Established Member
^Awesome. These engines are amazing. Can't wait to see the #'s these things are going to be putting out over the coming months.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
How to hit 10's N/A or 500rwhp... without cams.
A note from our tuner:

93PONY said:
Full off-road exhaust done correctly (actually difficult with the mufflers at the rear of the car.....although I think simply installing cut-outs at the right place would work excellent).
C&L intake is okay, I believe the JLT is a better design for flow, and the WMS will be tops (no bends at all) in the real world, and match the JLT on the dyno.

Intake manifold porting.....if needed, I really want to yank one off and see how it all lines up with the heads. Porting plastic is tricky, but normally worth a few HP. Boss intake is also coming soon.
L&M is working on a Throttle Body. Guaranteed to be super high quality, the owner used to work in a wind tunnel for Boeing.
Meziere is supposed to be working on an electric water pump, that's an easy 15HP gain at 6500RPM on traditional modulars, more at higher RPM.
E85 will also be key as you can run 29+ degrees of ignition timing (vs 21ish on 91) and the fuel is worth 5% more power.

With all that + custom tune we're looking at 480-490ish RW. 500 is either more tuning away (if these mods need more TiVCT tuning) or one other power mod away.

Add an aluminum driveshaft, bigs & littles, gears, and I really don't see how an 10 second weekend warrior N/A isn't possible on a STOCK LONG BLOCK!

And yes, we do EVERYTHING. From chassis/suspension, to tuning, to installs, to fuel systems, to engine building and Full Race cars. AED has you covered.

Users who are viewing this thread