Outerlimits goes airborn at lake of the ozarks shootout

tommygun

Established Member
It had flaps... like a cup car and burst panels which you see fly off in other videos.

Prototype007

Established Member
Reminds me of last year when I had to respond to a two person fatalities on Lake Cumberland during the Poker Run. People really aren't aware of what the sheer force is like when you wreck on water, let alone the drowning factor. I always grit my teeth and shake my head every year when these events comes our way (which is two weekends away).

Wreck:
[youtube_browser]brBTPnREiKA[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]hvZdPk9Mgzw[/youtube_browser]

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
A simple motorized wing on the front of the bow could have helped keep the vessel in the water. Sort of like a roof flap in Cup cars.

RIP

The whole aspect of these boats is to keep the nose up out of the water for minimal drag which means optimal speed. Unfortunately at those speeds, all it takes is a small blast of wind or air pocket and you get lift off like what happened here. Sadly there isn't much margin for error at those speeds

Z28

Established Member
Was the hull design too aggressive on the Outerlimits boat or is just a nature of that style? Seeing a video like that would sure make me nervous to get anywhere close to those speeds in a similar boat.

CSG

Established Member
Was the hull design too aggressive on the Outerlimits boat or is just a nature of that style? Seeing a video like that would sure make me nervous to get anywhere close to those speeds in a similar boat.

No, the design is solid. He may have been flying it a bit too high or just a small gust or rouge wave set it off. I've never blown over but I have had them lift. You are trying to get as much boat as possible out of the water and sometimes stuff just happens when you run on the edge.

1969Fastback

*OG Crew*
Established Member
No, the design is solid. He may have been flying it a bit too high or just a small gust or rouge wave set it off. I've never blown over but I have had them lift. You are trying to get as much boat as possible out of the water and sometimes stuff just happens when you run on the edge.

there was not enough weight in the bow of the boat. plain and simple.

It's a shame and a the boat world lost a good one.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
there was not enough weight in the bow of the boat. plain and simple.

It's a shame and a the boat world lost a good one.

Regarding the weight, that's completely incorrect...lol nature of the beast. All part of the reason why there are 2 pilots for these boats. It all comes down to operation, and like stated above, things happen when you take it to the edge. All it takes is a small wake or small pocket of wind to sail it up and over at those speeds. There's zero margin for error. Think about the hairiest moment you've had in a car, multiply that by about 10 and divide the reaction window by about 20

Users who are viewing this thread