Out of Town - Buying Car - No Plates

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I'm out of town on business. Found a car locally I intend to purchase today from a private seller. Typically I'd get a temporary tag from my home state, but I'm 200 miles away.

Car is in Virginia, I'd like to drive it home to Delaware. Any suggestions on what I can do to legally accomplish this?

'88347coupe

just a good ol boy
Established Member
You're gonna have to transfer ownership at the dmv in that state, pay the taxes there, and get temporary plates. If state taxes are higher in your state, you will pay the difference when you get back home and get permanent plates.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm out of town on business. Found a car locally I intend to purchase today from a private seller. Typically I'd get a temporary tag from my home state, but I'm 200 miles away.

Car is in Virginia, I'd like to drive it home to Delaware. Any suggestions on what I can do to legally accomplish this?

I'm not saying this is legal, but your asking so... In Indiana it used to be legal to just use an existing valid plate as a temporary plate. I flew to Chicago to buy a Jeep, got there and realized I didn't have my plate and had a 4-5 hour drive home. I hit a Staples, bought a few things and made a plate with my actual number on it (called and got # from my wife). I screwed my "plate" on and drove home. Didn't have any issues and had at least one cop that I can remember pass me on the interstate. It really just looked like a temp tag because I used white construction paper and drew thick squared off letters\numbers with a sharpie. From 10ft at a glance you really couldn't tell it was something I made. My hope was that if I got stopped, the cop would let me off since I was displaying a valid plate number registered to me. Luckily I didn't have to test the theory.

Last edited:

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
You're gonna have to transfer ownership at the dmv in that state, pay the taxes there, and get temporary plates. If state taxes are higher in your state, you will pay the difference when you get back home and get permanent plates.

^^^This says it all.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
In the past I've left my tag on the car so the new owner could drive it home and then they mail it back to me.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I bought a car in Maryland and i'm from chicago. Bought it private party. I had a bill of sale and copy of the title. It was almost an 800 mile trip, never had a problem except for a few people yelling to me on the highway trying to tell me I didn't have a plate on my car lol.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You just need a nonresident transit tag. The local DMV should be able to help. In MN they are $10.

Blackness03

Established Member
Best time to make the drive is during the day when more cars are on the road. Less chance of a cop getting behind you.

Good luck!

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
See if your state DMV has a Trip Permit. I know VA does and you can go online and print one out for $5.00. Just be sure to add the car to your current insurance policy before getting the permit.

I drove a car with no tags, just my trip permit taped in the back window from Savannah to Va Beach.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Like said above, see if you can keep the owners tag and then mail it to him. Just call and put it on your insurance so you are covered.

If that doesn't work, I'd either make some sort of temp plate or tag applied for or something. Then just have all your paperwork if you get pulled over.

Another option, have a plate from home overnighted to you. Technically you can run that plate because you have so long to transfer it to a new car you've bought.

I don't know 100% how legal those are, but it should probably work. I definitely wouldn't register it in that state and pay taxes or whatever, the dmv will probably think your crazy if you go in and try and do that, I'm not even sure you can do that without a license, address or business in that state.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Put insurance on it, have the title and/or bill of sale on you proving it's your car...in NC and SC I've always been okay doing this. Been pulled over and explained to them I just bought the car, or the bike, however I do have insurance and proof of purchase. Most realize it's a waste of time to issue a ticket because all you have to do is mail in proof of registration once you get it done, and the magistrate drops the ticket. This is just in my experience. Hell, I got pulled over two weeks ago on my bike I recently bought, and didn't have ANY proof of ownership and still rode away!

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
put insurance on it, have the title and/or bill of sale on you proving it's your car...in nc and sc i've always been okay doing this. Been pulled over and explained to them i just bought the car, or the bike, however i do have insurance and proof of purchase. Most realize it's a waste of time to issue a ticket because all you have to do is mail in proof of registration once you get it done, and the magistrate drops the ticket. This is just in my experience. Hell, i got pulled over two weeks ago on my bike i recently bought, and didn't have any proof of ownership and still rode away!

this

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd call the VA State Police/Highway Patrol. All states have different laws. Here in TN you have a grace period, just need the title or bill of sale and insurance. It took 2 months to get plates for my bike due to waiting on the title. Did the same for two cars I bought from private sellers.

I'd call State Police for the states the car will travel in and explain the situation and ask what the law states.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I'd call the VA State Police/Highway Patrol. All states have different laws. Here in TN you have a grace period, just need the title or bill of sale and insurance. It took 2 months to get plates for my bike due to waiting on the title. Did the same for two cars I bought from private sellers.

I'd call State Police for the states the car will travel in and explain the situation and ask what the law states.

Good advice. Do not encounter the police in VA.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'd be sure that whatever you do is legal, MD State Police are pricks and our Toll Facilities Police are even worse. Just sayin.

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member

VA will issue you temp trip paper plates

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Just get a bill of sale. If you get stopped show them that. It happens all the time. Is not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread