OT: Trailer Loading

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Ok, I'm kind of frustrated. When I went to pick up my car this past weekend from storage, I noticed my front axle tires on my trailer were wore really bad on the inside. The tires are about 1 year old with probably 3k miles on'em. Take to the guys I have service my trailer and the axles are bent. WTF? How do 3500lb axles get bent by a 3k lb car???

So, how does every one position their cars on their trailers? The only thing I can figure is I have too much weight on the forward axle?? Any input is appreciated.

This is probably the best picture I have of my positioning of my car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You don't need cambered axles on the trailer too. Just the car.:-D

New trailer? Warranty? bring the scale slip and the trailer back and ask for a free fix.

Used trailer? S.O.L.

Have a frame shop bend them back to neutral and reinforce.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Looks like it is loaded fine to me. Have you run it down some rough roads and bounced the car around?

For what it's worth, the front axle on my Kaufman trailer has always looked like it has some camber. Not sure it is an optical illusion or not.

BTW, what length is your trailer? For a long trailer, it sure does look like your axles are set waay back on the deck.

-Kevin

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Once the axle tubes are straightened you might look into having them welded if its possible.

How well does the Jeep Liberty tow? Diesel engine I would ASS-U-ME?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Looks like it is loaded fine to me. Have you run it down some rough roads and bounced the car around?

For what it's worth, the front axle on my Kaufman trailer has always looked like it has some camber. Not sure it is an optical illusion or not.

BTW, what length is your trailer? For a long trailer, it sure does look like your axles are set waay back on the deck.

-Kevin
Its possible, I know that I've hit some good bumps etc with it.
IIRC, its 18' in total bed length.
Once the axle tubes are straightened you might look into having them welded if its possible.

How well does the Jeep Liberty tow? Diesel engine I would ASS-U-ME?
It tows fine, it slows going up some decent inclines, but I get about 19mpg towing with it, and yes its a diesel.:beer:

Sirl

Established Member
I was wondering about the towing capacity of the Libby as well...

I'm going to look into those. I'm looking for a good dual purpose dd/tow vehicle.

Cool...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I hi-jack the wifey's 99 Navi when I tow, 32v DOHC w/3.73 gear pulls nice and brakes well. The 93 octane fuel is the only down side, but I'm quite close to A LOT of KICK ASS TRACKS! The trans in this thing is the 4R100 same as a power stroke, big cooler too. Oh and did I mention comfy??? MuWAHAHA!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I got the wife an '04 Explorer it has the 4.6l SOHC, 3.73s, 4WD, (more weight up front) and factory tow package. I'm cautious to tow with it any long distance, but this thread is making me braver!

wheelhopper

Established Member
Anthony, I had the same year and optioned Explorer. I would not use it to tow a car long distances, but for a couple hour trip it would work just fine.

Ryan, your car looks loaded fine to me. That is about where I put my car on my 18' open trailer, that I have been using for nearly 4 years, and no problems yet. Though I did have the brakes getting hot on my rear axle, at the start of my latest trip. I adjusted the electronic brake controller and that seemed to fix the problem. I am still on the original tires also. They hold pressure good, have plenty of tread, and no dry rot cracks. Your trailer manufacturer should warranty you a new axle.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I was wondering about the towing capacity of the Libby as well...

I'm going to look into those. I'm looking for a good dual purpose dd/tow vehicle.

Cool...
Well, it does good for what it is. Wasn't my first choice, but told the other half that if we were getting a Liberty it was going to be a diesel. The 07/08 Grand Cherokee has the 3.0MB diesel. The Liberty CRD has the same trans as the HEMI trucks do.
I got the wife an '04 Explorer it has the 4.6l SOHC, 3.73s, 4WD, (more weight up front) and factory tow package. I'm cautious to tow with it any long distance, but this thread is making me braver!
The picture I posted is actually up at Road America last year, my tow piglet was just fine all the way up.
Anthony, I had the same year and optioned Explorer. I would not use it to tow a car long distances, but for a couple hour trip it would work just fine.

Ryan, your car looks loaded fine to me. That is about where I put my car on my 18' open trailer, that I have been using for nearly 4 years, and no problems yet. Though I did have the brakes getting hot on my rear axle, at the start of my latest trip. I adjusted the electronic brake controller and that seemed to fix the problem. I am still on the original tires also. They hold pressure good, have plenty of tread, and no dry rot cracks. Your trailer manufacturer should warranty you a new axle.
Yeah, I don't get it. The trailer is 4 years old now, and 'home made' hence the smoking deal I got on it. I'm gonna talk to him about warrantying the one axle s it was just replaced about a year ago.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I would tow to Heartland Park Topeka with the exploder if I had to or Motorsports Park Hastings but that's it. Hallett, MAM and Gateway would require a tow vehicle with 2 less cylinders to make the long hauls.

If I find an enclosed garage on wheels then I have no choice but to buy a pickup to tow with, but Id be ok with that. 2 Mustangs and a SWB Dodge Ram in a 20x30 garage is a tight squeeze. Don't ask the truck is a toy, not set up for tow duty.

Users who are viewing this thread