OT: Need some BMW info from MACA

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
I know a growing number of you have BMW's and I have a question.

Is there a local "Hermann" or "Jon Lund" of the BMW world around here?

I ask because a friend of mine has 2 M5's and he thinks one is down on power but the BMW mechanics he takes it to say everything is fine. He is a pretty experienced OT driver so knows cars pretty well and just cant figure out what is going on. He is trying both the cheap dynolicous Iphone App and a G-Tech unit but wants to really determine if it is all in his head or if there is truly a problem.

I suggested a more quantitative method might be a simply dyno test for both cars so he scheduled some runs this week at a local dyno. But even then he wouldnt have these guys mess with his tuning, it would be just data collecting and perhaps a starting point for him.

I know both Jon and Hermann when tuning will be happy to work with you, explain things etc. Is there an equivalent of those guys around the DC area in the BMW world?

Thanks

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah, E46fanatics ftw. There probably are tuners in the area, but it sounds like your friend really just needs a dyno trip.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
If your friend is in VA he needs to start with. Ivan at IMA Motorsports or Intersport in Tysons. In MD there is ATSpeed where I have taken my cars. All of these guys are top of their class with BMW, P, etc.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks all. He actually live in DC but works with me out in Sterling.

I will pass along the recommendations, thanks Scott!

TRBO VNM

:read: <----for my own info.

thanks scott. not that I plan on it, but good to know there are locals

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I know Paul, our friend that runs TTD with his BMW gets a lot of work done at RRT, somewhere in Northern VA. They have a lot of presence at the track, and even field a car in the Grand Am Conti Challenge.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
He's usually too busy chattin it up on FB but Bill and I were just talking about this yesterday. They have a lot of easy bolt-ons and chips/flashers out there and you can make some substantial gains without having to go turbo or even SC. Some are getting over 400hp. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see him getting into the euro market shortly, not that he isn't already.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
I know their is a running data base for this exact problem on m5board.com

I'll be picking up an E39 M5 myself next year hopefully.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Scott already mentioned all of the really good local shops. If your friend wants the car looked at Ryan at Tischer is a top notch BMW tech.

Users who are viewing this thread