Original Tires

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Most of you will think this is nuts but I'm nerdy when it comes to my car an original parts. I have a room attached to my garage and I store extra OEM parts for our cars. I'm wanting to get a set of original tires (date correct for our cars) to go in there. How hard do you think this will be to find? and what should I pay for old tires like that?

And yes I do have the original tires on my car and yes I know its a safety hazard at this point but I'm getting ready to pull the wheels and tires and store them as well. I hardly drive the car so its been a non issue.

Most parts I have, I get multiples of, OEM Headlights, Exhaust parts, floormats, random bolts, etc.. So I would like to pick up a set of OEM tires as well.

I know nerdy but whatevs.

dom418

Established Member
Man you are a huge geek...jk

Finding 4 tires with the same date code will be very tough. Most people got rid of their originals. Those that kept them are geeks like you and I

I would buy a newer set of F1s and box up your originals. Last thing you need is to run over nail in those originals. You can't replace those. Nerd lol

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Wow, I'll have to tell the girlfriend that I'm not the only car parts pack rat. I had to unload all my 40 year old MOPAR and Chevy parts to make room for my Cobra parts. One of these days I'll start selling off some of this Cobra stuff laying around. You can't take it with ya. lol

cj428mach

Established Member
I keep every original part off my car and try to get spare consumables. The original tires are in great shape and are in the basement so I understand your thinking about hoarding.

I don't understand why you want a spare set of spare original tires. If you are removing your stockers to save just run the new ones. In 20 yrs if your car is a trailer queen install the original rubber.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Wow, I'll have to tell the girlfriend that I'm not the only car parts pack rat. I had to unload all my 40 year old MOPAR and Chevy parts to make room for my Cobra parts. One of these days I'll start selling off some of this Cobra stuff laying around. You can't take it with ya. lol

I'm still holding onto MOPAR stuff..... for what, I have no idea. I am actually thinking about selling it all. I do like the idea of stockpiling Cobra parts, especially headlights!!

Slippery Nut

Established Member
I bought my MG convertible in Dec. Of 2015 with 1300 original miles, stock Eagle F1's. Took the car to discount tire for a balance, original owner took them off. Discount refused to balance them, said to old; apparently not safe??? Ok, I bought a new set and kept the F1's hoping to get a few bucks. Ended up giving them away to someone who planned to use for landscaping. Craigslist them for months until I was at $50 for the set. I don't get it. Wish I still had them now, you'd have them.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
Would have given you mine,to bad you didn't post this a month and a half ago. I took the originals (8k mls) off and replaced them w/toyos.They where horrible, hard as rocks and any thing more than light throttle was wheel hop and spinning.

HPLouis

Established Member
I do the same thing. When I got my car, I replaced the original air filter, and when I saw there was a date on it, I saved it. I also took the tires off immediately, even though they only had 2700 miles on them. I wasn't driving on 12 year old rubber.

getTwisted

Established Member
Man you are a huge geek...jk

Finding 4 tires with the same date code will be very tough. Most people got rid of their originals. Those that kept them are geeks like you and I

I would buy a newer set of F1s and box up your originals. Last thing you need is to run over nail in those originals. You can't replace those. Nerd lol

Lol. Glad I'm not the only nerd. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getTwisted

Established Member
If I promise to not actually use them will you sell me some floormats :D

Sorry no can do. I have an original set that's never been used. They don't have the dealer prep plastic on them but they are brand new.

getTwisted

Established Member

I'm not keeping it forever. It's kind of like a small hobby for now.

getTwisted

Established Member
I'm still holding onto MOPAR stuff..... for what, I have no idea. I am actually thinking about selling it all. I do like the idea of stockpiling Cobra parts, especially headlights!!

I've got Oem headlights brand new in box from tousley ford. Picked them up years ago, cheap.

getTwisted

Established Member
I bought my MG convertible in Dec. Of 2015 with 1300 original miles, stock Eagle F1's. Took the car to discount tire for a balance, original owner took them off. Discount refused to balance them, said to old; apparently not safe??? Ok, I bought a new set and kept the F1's hoping to get a few bucks. Ended up giving them away to someone who planned to use for landscaping. Craigslist them for months until I was at $50 for the set. I don't get it. Wish I still had them now, you'd have them.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yea that would have been nice. I would have given you at least $50 plus shipping for them

getTwisted

Established Member
Would have given you mine,to bad you didn't post this a month and a half ago. I took the originals (8k mls) off and replaced them w/toyos.They where horrible, hard as rocks and any thing more than light throttle was wheel hop and spinning.

Dang wish I coulda got them. And your right they are terrible. I just using them for garage art though lol

DropSVT

Established Member
A reputable tire shop wouldn't mount original tires for our cars due to them being to old. I think it's like 7 years old is the max

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I am the same. My 93 Cobra still rides on its original tires. As for the Terminator, the previous owner never rotated the tires and spun the life out of the rears. As soon as I got it, I rotated the tires, but the combination of the low tread and the age made the original rears crack and start leaking. I got 4 new tires for the car and kept the 2 original good condition tires. No, I am not planning on selling them.

For the OP, I don't see a reason to have a second set of original tires beyond your original set other than if a tire or 2 goes bad, you'd have a backup to the backup. Otherwise, just put the originals in the garage for later.

awakened

Established Member
I have a cobra that I recently bought that has 9,500 miles on it. Original tires. Two are stored (wider rear replicas on the a car now) and the other two are on the front of the car. Tires look new with no noticeable wear. No cracking. I would trade all four for two new front tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread