Ordered Moser M9

NIXDSG

Established Member
So I got tired of trying to make the 8.8 work and still having a noisey axle. I ordered the M9 with 4.11's, Excited! Red with the aluminum center.

So if you know anyone that is interested in buying a used 8.8 w/ 9" ends, Moser axles, pinion support cover, ..., I have one. They will likely need new gears cause the ones in there are making noise.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the CF driveshaft. Not that I can use it but if I sell it I'll never find a stock replacement. idk.

NIXDSG

dale.baker

Established Member
Good choice. It was a simple four hour job to install. I used Action Machine for the driveshaft along with the 1350 Sonnax Chrome Moly yoke. PM me with any questions.

Dale

NIXDSG

Established Member
Do I need a new upper control arm? I see them out there but unclear when they are needed with the 9" arrangement.

NIXDSG

NIXDSG

Established Member
Dale,
I'll have no issues installing, I've done it 2 dozen times trying to get the 8.8 to work, I got that down!

NIXDSG

dale.baker

Established Member
Your current 8.8" straight UCA will hit the 9" housing and prevent free travel during acceleration. The BMR 9" UCA is angled to ensure that contact with the rearend does not occur.

Softballer77

Established Member
My Currie built 8.8 with 33 splined mosers, 9" ends and Wavetrac is whining now too. I've spent too much money on that darn thing, and I haven't even hit the track with it yet. I'm sure it will hold up better now, but that whine...

I'll be anxious to hear how your 9" goes in and how you like it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck man, I unfortunately feel ill be in the same situation next year.
Def call BMP and go with the 9" specific UCA.
Please post some pics and keep us posted.
-J

NIXDSG

Established Member
Received the M9 housing and parts, looks great!
I ordered the BMR 9" specific UCA so I should be good there too.
I'm waiting on the DS, should be here Monday. I went with a 3.5" DSS aluminum.
The only thing I missed on the center section was the aluminum pinion support, I ended up with iron. Now I have iron and no paint so I'll need to paint that now.

Questions:
I have '12 caliper brackets and rotors, will they mount up to the M9 like they did my 8.8 with 9" ends? I'm reading they will not but I don't understand why not.

Second, I'm not reading that the alum center may whine vs. an iron. Is this true?? Did I make a mistake going aluminum on a street car?

I still need to confirm if the BMR rear anti sway bar will fit.

NIXDSG

dale.baker

Established Member
1. The brake componets will fit without alteration. However, you will need to shim the caliper on each side to get them perfectly centered. Mine required about .010".

2. You will need a Granatelli panhard bar relocation bracket as your current set-up will hit the back of the Moser housing. Summit has these.

3. I have the aluminum certer section as well as Daytona pinion support. I get some small amount of whine at 70MPH. Other than that the gears are quiet. I have changed gears four times and we all believe that the solid heim joints as well as the aluminum drive shaft transmits some resonance that is heard in the cockpit. No issues with set-up but my curiosity would not let me not run this small issue in the hole. Hope this helps.

NIXDSG

Established Member
Thanks, Dale.
Is "perfectly" centered needed? What if I don't shim it, will it still work correctly? Is this the same for the 8.8 with the 9"ends? I didn't shim there.

I have the panhard relocation already, thx. I needed it to clear the Moser diff cover on my 8.8 axle.

My main issue to overcome is to get clearance for the 15" rims. For my 8.8 I had to relocate the shock mounting point so the shock reservoir will clear the rim, also trim the bottom of the stock sway bar mount off. Man, I hate to hack at this new axle to make that clearance again.

NIXDSG

NIXDSG

Established Member
BITDIFFERENTSVT,
Looks like I have the same axle setup as Dale, including the BMR stuff. Differences are that I the SVTPP shocks that have the reservoir to deal with (I'm not sure what dale has). I also have the BMR SB024 anti sway bar that I need to try and fit, not sure yet, I might need to go back to the stock one.

By the way, I had a '14 GC SRT also, that thing was a beast!

NIXDSG

Last edited:

dale.baker

Established Member
1. I read an article and they said to center the caliper brackets on the rotor, so I did not question their advice. Took about 5 minutes/caliper.

2.I have no experience with the 15" rims except for the articles that say wou only need 04-12 rear rotor and the caliper mounting bracket. Obviously there is much more to the swap than what the article said.

3. The cost of the complete rearend from Moser delivered to my door was $3200. The Action Machine drive shaft was about $350. Remember that I have the Magnum XL tranny so I only needed 1350 U joints on each end not the expensive CV joint on the transmission side.

NIXDSG

Established Member
So I got the axle out and getting thing together to put the new axle in.
The M9 looks good, nice paint, welds look good. I cleaned it a couple times to get the sand/crud out. The ends of the LCR's were scratched up a little as they were sticking out of the packaging.
I also received the DSS driveshaft and the new 9" UCA, all looks good.
Looks like the BMR SB042 anti sway bar will fit the M9, good.
Interesting that the Moser LCA mounts have one less hole compared to the 8.8 BMR LCA brackets. This doesn't matter so much in that I wasn't using the bottom most hole on the BMR brackets, in the end I'm going to be at the same location with the M9.
20161128_204810_zpsosovbrgn.gif

Last edited:

NIXDSG

Established Member
I've been lacking on updates. Holidays and not feeling well (cold and stuff) been keeping me out of the garage.

I sold the original axle (he can identify himself if he like) to someone that had gears on hand to fix it. It turns out that I had twisted these Moser axles! I was not aware of it when I shipped them as I never looked that close. BEWARE, the 31 spline Moser axle are not as strong as you may think. I made 1 track visit with these axles, max launch at 2600 rpm, M/T DR's at 18 psi, and only accomplished a 1.78 60'. I had a lot of learning to do, but higher rpm and lower tire psi would have broke these with any more testing! I never had any wheel hope and other questionable events.

For the new M9 axle, including 35 spline axles shafts, I've cleaned it, installed the axle seals, cleaned it again, ..., cleaned a 3rd time, ...
I purchased a metal core reusable seal for the 3rd member. As expected I've already removed the 3rd member so the reusable gasket already paid for itself. Why did I remove it? Well, I installed the 3rd member and it took a little more persuasion then I liked. The variation stack up between the stud bolt pattern and the holes on the 3rd member are off, creating a really tight fit. So I decided to remove the 3rd member and provide a little more clearance. Hoping today I can make that clearance and have that slide on a little better.

Next I need to remove all my BMR parts and clean them. I believe I have the wrong grease on them and want to clean and get the correct stuff in there to ensure a good life on those poly bushings. I now have the Mobil 1 synthetic grease, which should be good to go.

The top bushing as received from Moser was loose. So loose that I took it off by hand. Not an issue if you KNOW it's loose. Being installed they should have tightened it properly, or not installed it and shipped it loose. Also, I'm not too happy with the instructions as they do not provide the torque spec. It's Steeda part and the instructions say to apply locktite and "tighten". Also to check periodically. Not so helpful.
I applied locktite and tightened it.

NIXDSG

Beercules

Established Member
My moser axles twisted also, that's why I didn't go with their 9".
I don't remember having any manufacture related issues with my currie 9".
I do love how silent these 9" differentials are and knowing I can do almost anything with them and they won't damage.

NIXDSG

Established Member
Good thing I decided to clean the bushings on my LCA's, I see the bushing on the drivers side is damaged. I guess I'll need to order a new one. I hate to think that I need to go solid on both ends of the LCA now, I wanted the poly to keep the NVH to a minimum. Hummmm.
20170108_171014_zps8gndqh98.gif

For those interested, here is a picture of the axle that came out of the 8.8, it's MOser 31 spline that comes with the Lethal axle "upgrade" kit.

Beercules, I don't think the axle twisting has anything to do with it being Moser, it's the size. Now if my Moser 35 spline twist, then I'll believe you.

NIXDSG
IMG951918_zpsi3xrqe9h.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread