orange stuff in exhaust pipes!

LCCOBRA

Established Member
I have a bassani cat-back and x-pipe and their is this orange powder type stuff in the tip of the exhaust pipe. Is this normal. I think it is and will go away with time but I just wanted to ask. Looks worse since the car has been sitting in the garage for a few months:rolleyes: . Also I did a search and came up with nothing...

Last edited:

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Been setting in the garage for a few months? Well, most likely its rust from inside the exhaust system blowing out since now you have started it ! Seriously, its just some condensation in the exhaust that started a little rust, nothing to worry about. Now just get out there and drive her !!!:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine have been setting idle from the middle of December up through this past Monday night and I didn't notice any orange powder on the tips. You sure you have an all stainless steel system?
:shrug:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-Master
Maybe he's got the Bx line, which is aluminized steel?

The x-pipe is the Bx line to save some money. You think that's why it's doing that.:shrug:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Must be the rust thing....my old 03 Cobra did that...but I was running 112 octane leaded fuel with no cats....full stainless exhaust..........check you plugs and see how they look?

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
Must be the rust thing....my old 03 Cobra did that...but I was running 112 octane leaded fuel with no cats....full stainless exhaust..........check you plugs and see how they look?

Really? Did you check your plugs and their was an issue with them?

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
No issue.....when my car was running that color in the tailpipe the plugs looked like they were just burning perfect with that same color orange tint as the tailpipes....but when my pipes were white...the plugs were running way too lean....almost white as the tails were. I was assuming it was the leaded fuel and high octane on my car... Just wanted to see if your plugs might have that orange tinge? Are you running any additive?

Last edited:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
no additive. Can I just pull the spark plugs out and look at them without damaging them (Dumb ?) never really tried. Maybe I should take a pic for everyone to see. Maybe that would help.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
The x-pipe is the Bx line to save some money. You think that's why it's doing that.:shrug:

Now you see what the extra money is for.

It's just rust dust.

davidmax

Established Member
Sleep well,not to worry,burn out that condensation,get to operating temp for 30 minutes.Good Luck,Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread