Orange coolant

NWUCIT

Established Member
My radiator sprung a leak the other day and had to be replaced. Upon popping the hood after the repair, I noticed the new coolant was orange, not the OEM yellow. Since I was 100 miles from home and it was after hours (no service people around), I went ahead and brought the car home...should I be concerned about the new fill of anti-freeze and future problems? :shrug:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Ford used 3 different coolants in the '03s: Green, orange and gold (good to best). They recommend a complete flush if you switch from one to another. Mixing is NG for some incompatibility reason.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by Petzuk
Ford used 3 different coolants in the '03s: Green, orange and gold (good to best). They recommend a complete flush if you switch from one to another. Mixing is NG for some incompatibility reason.

What he said

Mine came with the "gold" (so named so they can charge accordingly). All the service bullitens I've seen say "DO NOT MIX". As long as they flushed it you shouldn't have problems. It would be handy to have the same coolent types in your IC system and engine coolent system IMO though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Petzuk
To my knowledge they used only two coolant colors. Gold and Green. Better check with your dealer. The orange coolant is used on '99 and newer Cougar and Ford Electric Vehicle Ranger. The green coolant is a standard life coolant and the gold is an extended life coolant. Both are Premium quality. :)

NWUCIT

Established Member
Thanks, guys....called the service tech today....after looking at my repair invoice he agreed the wrong coolant was used (I have no idea if system was flushed or just added to)...so it's back to the dealership for a flush and refill...PIA!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by NWUCIT
Thanks, guys....called the service tech today....after looking at my repair invoice he agreed the wrong coolant was used (I have no idea if system was flushed or just added to)...so it's back to the dealership for a flush and refill...PIA!
Wow! Thank God you caught it early. Seems mistakes like this are not uncommon, so forums like this are invaluable! :beer:

n0xlf

Established Member
I've seen orange on kpinco's (and maybe sambandit's) and it was from adding water wetter to the gold stuff...

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Yeah its called mixing red(Water Wetter) with yellow(Motorcraft gold coolant) = orange(color charts). Different than buying orange long-life coolant from an autoparts store.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
if the orange is the same "CRAP" that GM uses for their 150,000 mile stuff, it's garbage.. friend had it in his 97 Jimmy, got air into the system and it turned to sludge.. cost him about 700 dollars at the dealer to flush it out, and replace with regular green coolant..

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
To my knowledge they used only two coolant colors. Gold and Green. Better check with your dealer. The orange coolant is used on '99 and newer Cougar and Ford Electric Vehicle Ranger. The green coolant is a standard life coolant and the gold is an extended life coolant. Both are Premium quality. :)

:beer:

I believe that you are right Bob. I should have said that Ford OFFERS 3 types of coolants. The Cobra's got the gold or green only.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread