Optima Bateery???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Optima Battery???

Looking to buy an Optima Battery for my Termy...

Well, there's been a lot of talk about Optima going down hill in recent years but I've always had good results in the past. I think I'll pull the trigger again.

I kinda figure the battery comes with a 3 year/36 month "replace" warranty and Autozone has always stood behind the previous batteries I bought from them. There's also a manufacturer's mail-in rebate for $25 until 9/15.

Optima doesn't have a designated part number for our Cobra so I have to wing it. I've measured the stock OEM battery and found 2 different "Red Tops" at the local Autozone that will fit the dimensions.

My question for you guys...which Optima battery do you run in the Termy's stock battery location??? Part# and any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Subscribing...I too have heard that there is no Direct replacement for the Optima in our cars

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Group size 34/78 will fit in the tray perfectly. Its a snug fit but that's the group size I've always run in my Mustangs.

The 75 Group size is the direct replacement size for the 56 or 58 that's in the Mustang.

To me its worth the little price difference for the bigger battery.

Juruense

Banned
You can make either the large or small Optima fit with the adapters that come with them

On my GT I ran the small red-top it looked kinda undersized so in the Cobra I went with the large red top which requires slightly modifying (cutting) the tray.

Battery trays are $14 at the Ford parts counter and come with new hold down and hold down bolt if yours has corroded like mine had.

Since I had just bought a new battery tray I took it into Autozone with me and played around for a while test fitting.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have never had any luck with Optima's. They ALWAYS died and never held a charge well. I kept having to replace them all the time.

The best battery I have ever owned was the stock battery. It outlived all other batteries that I have tried over the years.

When my battery decides to give up, I will buy another stock battery.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Group size 34/78 will fit in the tray perfectly. Its a snug fit but that's the group size I've always run in my Mustangs.

The 75 Group size is the direct replacement size for the 56 or 58 that's in the Mustang.

So the larger 34/78 fits perfectly...no mods needed???

The smaller 75/25 is the direct fit for the 56/58 Mustang size???

The specs are:

75/25..........34/78

CA 910............1000
CCA 720.............800
RC 90.............100

I'll buy the larger, more powerful 34/78...as long as I don't have to modify the tray.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
You can make either the large or small Optima fit with the adapters that come with them

On my GT I ran the small red-top it looked kinda undersized so in the Cobra I went with the large red top which requires slightly modifying (cutting) the tray.

Battery trays are $14 at the Ford parts counter and come with new hold down and hold down bolt if yours has corroded like mine had.

Since I had just bought a new battery tray I took it into Autozone with me and played around for a while test fitting.

Good info...

Thanks...

Later...Dave

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
So the larger 34/78 fits perfectly...no mods needed???

The smaller 75/25 is the direct fit for the 56/58 Mustang size???

The specs are:

75/25..........34/78

CA 910............1000
CCA 720.............800
RC 90.............100

I'll buy the larger, more powerful 34/78...as long as I don't have to modify the tray.

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Correct. I have a 34/78 blue top and a 34/78 redtop I swap between and the both slide right in.

Jroc

Established Member
The best battery I have ever owned was the stock battery. It outlived all other batteries that I have tried over the years.

I agree with this.

Ford Motorcraft OEM battery FTW!

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Go to sears and get the Diehard Platinum in Group 34/78 size.

It's the best battery on the market (it's the SAME THING as an Odyssey) which is the top of the food chain for batteries.

I put on in my Dodge Viper and the battery spins that huge V10 like the starter was on steroids.

Now that I know that 34/78 fits in the Mustang I will pick up a Platinum for my 04 Cobra too.

The Diehard Platinum absolutely smashes the Optima in every single aspect.

It costs a lot more, but is much better.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Already bought the Optima 34/78 today and well..ur..um..it didn't quite fit. :??: It wouldn't sit flush against the tray. Instead of bringing it back, I decided to modify the tray. I cut the front lip off the tray and bolted an aluminum L bracket to hold in the battery. The L braket basically extended the tray 1/4" or so. Just enough to fit the longer Optima battery.

When all was said and done...it looked pretty good IMO. Now I just have to see how the battery performs. ;-)

The 34/78 series is not a direct fit, yeah you can squeeze it in but to properly bolt it in down and have it flush you need to modify the tray. Not hard...just a PITA!!!

:thumbsup:

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Go to sears and get the Diehard Platinum in Group 34/78 size.

It's the best battery on the market (it's the SAME THING as an Odyssey) which is the top of the food chain for batteries.

I put on in my Dodge Viper and the battery spins that huge V10 like the starter was on steroids.

Now that I know that 34/78 fits in the Mustang I will pick up a Platinum for my 04 Cobra too.

The Diehard Platinum absolutely smashes the Optima in every single aspect.

It costs a lot more, but is much better.

You'll need to modify the tray for the 34/78 to fit properly...

:beer:

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

Yep, you were right...the larger 34/78 required some mods to the tray.

Later...Dave

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
You'll need to modify the tray for the 34/78 to fit properly...

Later...Dave

OK, cool. that is GREAT info to know as I was <-> that close from buying another Diehard Platinum today for the Cobra.

Hopefully Sears/Enersys will make a group size Diehard Plat that fits our cars.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member

XJRGUY,

The 75/25 was smaller and VirtualSVT said in the above post that it is a direct replacement for the 56/58 found in a Mustang. Maybe you can check and verify that with Sears...if all else fails...just measure the stocker and compare it.

Good luck...Dave

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
XJRGUY,

The 75/25 was smaller and VirtualSVT said in the above post that it is a direct replacement for the 56/58 found in a Mustang. Maybe you can check and verify that with Sears...if all else fails...just measure the stocker and compare it.

Good luck...Dave

Sounds good.

I already have the group 34/78 in my Viper so I can just take it out of that car and see if it fits in the Cobra without modification before I buy another one.

Thanks!

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I have never had any luck with Optima's. They ALWAYS died and never held a charge well. I kept having to replace them all the time.

I have had the exact same issues and won't get another. And I work for the company that makes them lol! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread