Opportunity to relocate to another country - California

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I guess i'm weird but I would go.

Some of the best surfing in the country / world
85 Degrees year round, suns always out.
Technological Mecca
Amount of networking one can do is insane.

Would move.

Not for everyone, though. I can completely understand that.

Oh shit. I use straws.

uh oh....

+1 But you're near Atlanta so you know culture(s) and are not scared of your shadow like some of these dudes are. Quadruple my salary and I'd move in a heartbeat.....Yep I don't make much as is lol.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've lived in Cali most of my life. I do like it here. The weather is nice. Although having a cold Halloween would be nice once in a while. As was pointed out getting vehicles smogged is just a matter of knowing the right people. Just know it's not cheap to have done.

I do own guns. Quite a few actually. I don't really buy any though. I have a couple friends that do and aside from the waiting period I haven't heard of any issues.

I will say that I have no intention of retiring here. I'll probably move to Az when that time comes.

Klay

Established Member
I used to live in Corona which is in Riverside County. If you dont have to commute much, traffic wont be a huge issue. If you do need to take a freeway to work though traffic is horrible out that way.

In regards to firearms, I haven't researched it a ton but it is going to be more restrictive. It is possible to get a concealed carry but difficult.

Both your modified cars won't pass smog. Cats are required and hi flow cats are not smog compliant either.

In addition to what you asked for, here are some pros and cons:

Pros

Weather (although it can get hot in Riverside county, espeically during the summer)

Food, you can pretty much get any kind of food you want throughout southern california

Lots of things to do, you can visit the desert, mountains, forest, beach big cities and little towns.

Cons

Gas prices

Home cost (although homes are more reasonable in the area you are talking about)

Strict gun laws

Traffic

So it really depends on how much better this opportunity is for you. If possible I would recommend visiting out here to see how you like it first. That should help give you some perspective on if the pros outweigh the cons for you.

I personally like living here despite being a conservative middle class person. It isn't like you see in the news with crazy people everywhere. Of course, politically it is crazy here but most people just want to live out their daily lives. They don't want to harrass others for their views.

Coiled03

Established Member
I wouldn't move back to CA even if doing so added a zero to my annua income.

Oppressive rules, regulations, and taxes. Horrible business environment. Cost of living absolutely ridiculous.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Denver isn't much better, any more.

+1 But you're near Atlanta so you know culture(s) and are not scared of your shadow like some of these dudes are. Quadruple my salary and I'd move in a heartbeat.....Yep I don't make much as is lol.

Reading comprehension issues? I don't think a single person in this thread mentioned anything about the culture. It's all about liberty, or a lack thereof, and a ridiculous cost of living.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

Technological Mecca

Not for nothing but there's a lot of other states that offer almost all of if not a majority of what you listed minus the other bs that Cali has

Zemedici

Established Member
Not for nothing but there's a lot of other states that offer almost all of if not a majority of what you listed minus the other bs that Cali has

where can I surf similarly aside from Hawaii? I'm down for a vacation! hahaha

@2KBlackGT yeah zero issue moving out there, whatsoever. Hell double my salary and I'm out there. Can always find my own ways to make money. besides, average millionaire has something like 7 sources of income.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Since the topic has been answered somewhat, I'll post OT stuff.

I love California, ignoring the politics. Gorgeous weather, cool at night. Breezy depending on where you live too. Especially in the winter time in the valley.
Like a previous poster stated, there's a lot to do and see out there.
N. Cali is like a different state.
Can go to the beach, go to a desert and go see snow in one day in winter.

Traffic sucks. Terribly. You'll wish you could own a weapon so you could blow your brains out on the highways out there, depending on where you live/commute.

I would move out there if I could get a decent raise.
Some stuff I hate about California, but scenery wise it's beautiful in certain places.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
And 'traffic' issue would be negated since I own a motorcycle, and 'filtering' is legal :)

Yeah, but 90% of people are on their damn phones. Communting to work on a bike it's just a matter of time before something happens. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. Ride safe.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
As a follow up -

Thanks for some of the info guys. Region would be just east of Palm Springs. Pay maybe 150%

If I moved there, would I have to become a State resident? Could I claim a PO Box or my Father's address? That would solve the Registration issues, no?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Don't.

There's a reason there's a mass exodus of the working middle class right now.

Even in Riverside, housing is expensive. 3br 2ba in a meh area is going to be $350k+. If youre moving into an apt/condo, no place will allow your dog or anything that looks even remotely pitbullish.

Your cars need working cats/smog equipment to pass.

Your guns are no. Depending on county, you may still be able to get your CCW but itll be an ordeal; buddy of mine just got his in Stockton and it was a pain and took him over a year and a half, and hes good friends with a sheriff so that was the biggest help.

CA sucks right now, and guaranteed Newsom is going replace Brown and make things even worse. You can expect a full out gun sales ban soon.

The weather isnt that great, unless youre right on the coast. SD was hot as balls this summer, most days in mid 90's with 80%+ humidity. If you're in inland empire (Riverside), then its going to be even hotter/drier. There's other parts of the country with the same climate for half the cost, and youre not in Riverside (which is pretty much where LA people go when they cant afford LA anymore).

Unless you were moving to OC/SD where, say, you made $60k before now youre looking at $120-130k (which even then will be a struggle and you still cant afford to buy a house at that point), and the climate truly is that much better than where you currently are, and you really just hate where you live now, and dont care about your freedoms, simply taking a small bump in pay to move to Riverside isnt worth it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone want to share with me what it's like to live in California, specifically down in Riverside County?

I have an opportunity I'm looking at, but to make an informed decision I've been researching the actual aspects of relocating there. It feels as complicated and overwhelming as moving to another country honestly.

So my check list - and fill me in if I'm missing something.

Fire-Arms - I'm assuming these all have to remain with the family in the Midwest, (ARs, AKs, Hi-cap pistols, C&R Bolt Actions). My CCW would also be worthless.

Dog - of a Bully Appearance (Half Mastiff Half Lab, 100% Lamb) - Does he need some sort of license or registration?

Cars -
2003 Cobra - High-Flow Cats, No EGR, Aftermarket Blower + Intake - Passed VA inspections 3 years ago.
1991 3000GT VR4 - In Op as it's a restoration. It will not have cats, egr or charcoal can.
2005 Tacoma - Stock but lifted on 33's

Guns. I have many. However any AR type weapon is now considered an assault rifle as of Jan 1 2018 and must be registered. It also has to have a non removable magazine, no forward grip, and a bunch of other repressive shit.

The Sheriff in San Bernardino county (where I live) is awesome and is generally pretty lenient about getting a concealed carry permit. I’ll have one soon.

Cars. Awful. Smog inspection/check every 2 years which is a 2 part test: 1. sniffer in exhaust pipe, and 2. A visual inspection. Either of which is an automatic fail with ANY mods that are not Carb approved with a matching EO number.

Work around is finding a “friendly” smog guy; translation— pay him several times the cost of the test to pass you.

Lots of things to like: weather, LOTS of activities, sand dunes, off roading, beaches, shopping, racing (1/4 mile and road course— all close to Riverside), lots of open land in the suburbs.

Shit is expensive. You’ll need a significant salary increase to make it work.

PM me if you want details on good places to live in riverside or San Bernardino county and how much $$ you’ll need to live comfortably.

What multiple of your current salary will you be making?

Exactly.

Hint— poverty line in San Francisco is right around $100k. True story

I would not move to CA if you paid me to move, traffic is the worst and if you want a 800 sq ft home you will have to spend like 5 million.

Exaggeration...

Technological Mecca

Would move.

Not for everyone, though. I can completely understand that.

Oh shit. I use straws.

uh oh....

Yep exactly.

Although it’ll hit 100 temps in the summer where OP is looking at...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Guns. I have many. However any AR type weapon is now considered an assault rifle as of Jan 1 2018 and must be registered. It also has to have a non removable magazine, no forward grip, and a bunch of other repressive shit.

{Half -Joking} So wait, if you can't remove the magazine, no forward grip, then how is it an "Assault Rifle".

The Sheriff in San Bernardino county (where I live) is awesome and is generally pretty lenient about getting a concealed carry permit. I’ll have one soon.

{Genuine Curiosity} What does the Sheriff have to do with a CCW? Is it only good in that county? Here you get a finger print card (from Goodwill), mail a package to the capital with like $75 and if you record is clean you get a permit for life or until you commit a crime. It's recognized just about everywhere as well.

Work around is finding a “friendly” smog guy; translation— pay him several times the cost of the test to pass you.

Are you free and clear then? I recall hearing about cops issuing tickets and impounding cars that look modified. It's honestly really strange to me since California is seen as the Tuning capital of America.

PM me if you want details on good places to live in riverside or San Bernardino county and how much $$ you’ll need to live comfortably.

Will do.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Best of luck with your decision.

You couldn't pay me to live in Cali. The rights you give up don't make up for the weather and ocean IMO. I lived in Vegas 7 years and it's kinda the best of both worlds. Cali is just a short drive away for a visit. That's the only way I enjoy Cali....a visit. LOL.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Best of luck with your decision.

You couldn't pay me to live in Cali. The rights you give up don't make up for the weather and ocean IMO. I lived in Vegas 7 years and it's kinda the best of both worlds. Cali is just a short drive away for a visit. That's the only way I enjoy Cali....a visit. LOL.

Gotta get that money man.

Users who are viewing this thread