Opionions on a Porsche 996 Turbo

Qwk GT

Established Member
Just wanting opinions on the 996 if anyone has had one. I've been thinking of getting a new car, originally I was planning on holding out for the new cobra, whenever that would come out.

But I've owned Mustangs for so long, been thinking of switching it up. Always wanted to play with a turbo, and AWD is appealing, and its not a wrx/evo.

Any thoughts? Being they are turbo are they as easy to get power out of? In a world of 600-800 whp cobras/gt500s/5.0's, is it a car that can still hold it's own?

It's either this, get the new mustang cobra/gt500/whateverr when it comes out, or mod the crap out of my 03.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Overpriced Beetle! Honestly, I cannot see how modding one would be cheap, I'd imagine every mod pulls quite a premium. Also, I have driven a few and never really been impressed by Porsche.

nxhappy

Established Member
what's your budget? Looks like 2000-2004 996's will run you around 30k. At this point you might as well get a bad ass Viper or GT500 ...

RGrossman

Established Member
Overprice Beetle, wow...

Best car I have ever owned. I bought my cargraphic exhaust used to save a lot of money and did a simple flash to up the power, lowered it and put on 997 wheels. No other mods needed. Drives amazing in any weather and handles like a dream. You will need to swap in another set of Turbos for 3-5k depending on what power level you are after and some fuel mods will be necessary, but with those modifications you can hit very high hp levels and the power train will take it easily. Very strong platform to build from.

Depreciation has also almost stopped on the 996 Turbo. I can pretty much get what I paid for it 2 years ago.

2013-11-02 13.33.06.jpg

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Porsche's are unbelievable driving cars. Those who say they are overpriced Beatles are either joking, dumb, or have never been in one. They are expensive to mod, but once modded they are beasts. I would put them on par with a GTR in terms of modding. 996's have some issues you need to look for before puchasing. One thign to note though; compared to a 997, the interior is dog-shit...like Terminator/C5 'Vette dog-shit. But that is my opinion and it is obviously subjective.... You may like it. Good Luck, you will love any P-Car you buy.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Thanks fir the opinions, especially those that have owned it. I've already owned a gt500, so only Mustang I'd be interested in is the new cobra whenever it comes out. Thought I heard it might have a turbo option so that's still an option. Thought about a C6 Z06 but I've had power adder cars for so long would like to stick with some kind of F/I car.

How much psi/power are the stock turbos good for?

Users who are viewing this thread