Opinions ons DRs vs. ET Streets

Mus35th

Established Member
I am looking at having around 425 rwhp with my mods, planning on JPC cams later on this summer which looks like it will add another 30 or so. I don't plan on going much farther that that power wise.

I plan on doing alot of drag racing this summer and am looking at a dedicated set of drag wheels/tires.

Based on experience what would you guys recommend?

15x8 or 15x10? DRs or ET Streets?

At that power level besides launching the car off rev limiter is a slick really going to be that beneficial to make it worth it?

I do like the idea of using a DR so I could swap wheels and tires at home and not have to worry about it at the track...

I saw Hoosier makes a DR that looks basically like a ET Street but it says not for on road use which doesn't make any sense if its a drag "radial".

Looking for opinions, Thanks!

kevinp

Established Member
I used to drive bias ET streets and Hoosier QTPs around, if you have a spool n the car they are a lot less painful than drag radials. But they are easily damaged, dont balance well for highway use and cannot be used in the rain at all. They are quit a bit lighter than a drag radial and bias tires are a little better IMO if you race on marginal tracks. Once you light up a DR on the starting line you are pretty much done, a bias tire will spin and start hooking down the track better.

Hoosier drag radials are DOT, but they are marked right onn the side in big letters 'not for street use,' same with Hoosier QTPs. The DOT is just to make racing organization rules and doesnt mean they are really street tires. Not to mention I'm sure Hoosier puts that there for liability issues, bias QTP or ET streets are not a good road tire by any stretch.

If you look at the weight the hoosier DRs are lighter than M/Ts, M/T was designed to be used for limited street use and the weight shows it. Biut they wear quick and really shouldnt be driven in the rain once they get a little worn either. The Hoosier drag radials are pretty much hoosier radial slicks with a couple grooves and a DOT stamp, IMO they are better tires at the track but the M/Ts are a bit more road worthy.

stang910

Established Member
I used radials for the first time this past weekend and broke the rearend on my second run. I'll be going back to bias plys since I've got a bunch of runs on them without breaking.

kevinp

Established Member
I used radials for the first time this past weekend and broke the rearend on my second run. I'll be going back to bias plys since I've got a bunch of runs on them without breaking.

No doubt drag radials are a little harder on parts, they tend to wheel hop more and they are stiffer so if you are on the edge of breaking things they may put you over.

But the nice thing with radials is of you can take advantage and hook up a stiffer tire you will be rewarded with slightly better 60 foots and a little more mph (even though mph doesnt win drag races) so the heavier tire having less rolling resistance about evens out. Not to mention the better top end stability the radials have.

Plus you can go pretty far with DRs and not screwing them to the wheels (to a point), since bias tires run less pressure they need to be screwed so they dont move to far or lose the bead seal. Most bias drag tires recommend tubes as well, if you dont use them and have them screwed to the rims you can pretty much expect a couple flat tires in a day or two. If you run tubes you have to do the screws to keep the valve stem in the tubes from getting ripped off when the tire moves.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I drive on ET Streets all the time and have never had an issue. Now that I have a 2nd set of wheels. I have picked up a set of dr's as well.

Is your car a stick or auto, didn't see that

kevinp

Established Member
I drive on ET Streets all the time and have never had an issue. Now that I have a 2nd set of wheels. I have picked up a set of dr's as well.

Is your car a stick or auto, didn't see that

I used to drive on ET streets and QTPs all the time, but you cant drive them in the rain at all. I used to drive 100 miles each way to the track on them and I wrecked a couple running over things on the street, the sidewalls are damaged very easily and there is zero puncture resistance.

But drag radials didnt exist then so i had little choice, nowadays the M/T radials are a great compromise. A 275/60/15 M/T radial hooks very well and the weight is reasonable. I prefer he Hoosier DRs but they are more of a true race tire, plus the police in your area may not have a sense of humor if they see the huge 'not for street use' printed on the side.

Mus35th

Established Member
Looks like ET Street Slicks it is then...

My car is a 6sp so sounds like these would work best and still be able to drive around on the street with them.

Any particular size for a 15x8 you guys are running on the 2011?

kevinp

Established Member
I never used them on a mustang but I did use the 11.5x28s on 10' wheels and they would have been better on 8" wheels. Depends on how tall a tire you want, they tend to be a little shorter then they list them as.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Looks like ET Street Slicks it is then...

My car is a 6sp so sounds like these would work best and still be able to drive around on the street with them.

Any particular size for a 15x8 you guys are running on the 2011?

I run 275/60/15's M/T ET Street Radials on my 15 x 8 race stars. I street drive them every where.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Run 295/55r15s et street radials on my 15x10 race stars. Work great on the street and strip. Rain is really shitty tho, I dd mine so I have no choice but to hit rain. Just take the city streets instead of the interstate when it does.

Cut 1.5x alot the strip, if track prep is good I can see 1.4x.

Users who are viewing this thread