Opinions on what I will run tonight?

ImMACHnU03

I race in Heels!
Established Member
And if it runs 13.2 for the 3rd time I'm aiming for the wall!! :cuss:
You know what I say... If you break it you better get out and run your happy ass down the track cause I'm coming for you! lol and you better not run it in the wall. How the hell would I get home with no bf and no car?

Tell MA to get some good vids.:beer:

Hey now! Give me a break!...I didn't know his zoom was that sensitive and I wasn't expecting the whole crowd to stand up to see what my car was running. But I will try to take a practice video lol.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Hey now! Give me a break!...I didn't know his zoom was that sensitive and I wasn't expecting the whole crowd to stand up to see what my car was running. But I will try to take a practive video lol.

No dig on your other vid.....I just really wanted to see the runs. :shrug::lol::beer:

Speed Demon

Established Member
I tend to agree with Stampede I know the Cobra's and Mach's have different power bands but I ran my best times in my bolt on no tune 97 Cobra shifting @ 6700 first and 6400 2nd and 3rd with 430 gears. made peak hp @ 6100 and peak tq @ 5800. shifting @ those rpms would put the car just past the peak tq and right where the hp started taking over.
If you guys can wait till Saturday you'll have a much better track. Commerce is having their first Saturday Insanity Series race this weekend, and I'm sure they'll actually be doing decent prep. I've been racing @ Commerce for about 13 years and I know how bad it can be on Fridays, that's why I stopped going on Friday nights.

Speed Demon

Established Member
P.S. I have a set 26/10.5 et streets laying around that you guys could use if you come Saturday. I'll be there in my 03 running the in the heads up index class.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I tend to agree with Stampede I know the Cobra's and Mach's have different power bands but I ran my best times in my bolt on no tune 97 Cobra shifting @ 6700 first and 6400 2nd and 3rd with 430 gears. made peak hp @ 6100 and peak tq @ 5800. shifting @ those rpms would put the car just past the peak tq and right where the hp started taking over.
If you guys can wait till Saturday you'll have a much better track. Commerce is having their first Saturday Insanity Series race this weekend, and I'm sure they'll actually be doing decent prep. I've been racing @ Commerce for about 13 years and I know how bad it can be on Fridays, that's why I stopped going on Friday nights.
I would expect for you to shift to 4th too since you have 4.30's. The 97 Cobra is still like a high end car compare to Mach though, so the higher is better on those car's too. The Mach I would assume it to be a low to mid end car compare to the SN95 and New Edge.
I think someone wanted to see some vid of other cars here's mine

my 10 sec pass video by SPEEDDEM0N - Photobucket

Now thats a bad ass car :rockon: Any lightweight mods? I would love to own a car like that :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Maybe I'm misunderstanding someone, but that's not what Stampede was stating. I believe he was stating to shift at or near redline and that is what has worked best for him.

What you are saying is what Mark and I spoke about.

I must be lost somewhere. :shrug::??:

I would expect for you to shift to 4th too since you have 4.30's. The 97 Cobra is still like a high end car compare to Mach though, so the higher is better on those car's too. The Mach I would assume it to be a low to mid end car compare to the SN95 and New Edge.
+1

Stopsign32v

Established Member
What was the ET.
I bracket race to win, I don't worry as much about trap speed. lol

BTW, when you spin off the line trap is usually higher.
ET is lower but trap is higher.
Spinning on shift effects it also.

I have never ever ever ever experienced a higher than normal trap speed from spinning. I think this is a myth. Infact with my Cobra the highest trap speed ever was on a 1.5 60'. Here are two timeslips from the 5.0. Notice the 60' and the trap speed.

0119091433.jpg

The 5.0's powerband peaked at 4,800rpms @ 507rwtq and at 6,000rpms redline the power was 430rwhp. Riding in the car you could feel the car pulling like a train at 5,000rpms and after that it was just running out of breath because of the combination of the N/A cam and the long runner intake. Certain situations the higher rpm you can shift the faster it will be. My Procharged Cobra was that way, if I could have shifted at 8,000rpms I swear it would still be pulling lol. But not all cars are setup this way, my 5.0 was a great example. Now the new motor, you can bet your ass I will be ringing out those gears! :rockon:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
P.S. I have a set 26/10.5 et streets laying around that you guys could use if you come Saturday. I'll be there in my 03 running the in the heads up index class.

I've got a set of 26 ET DRAGS. I don't run no sissy ass ET Streets! :p haha jk, if your car runs like that in the video and you are on the Streets you definately should hang around because you should win the lowest ET and highest MPH for the street class. :beer: Not to mention I wanna see it go down the track.

Edit: Just saw you are going down Sat and not Fri. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed Demon

Established Member

Now thats a bad ass car :rockon: Any lightweight mods? I would love to own a car like that :beer:

I was actually hitting 4th about 10 ft past the 1/8 and carrying 4th to the stripe crossing about 6300 rpm
tubular ft end, solid axle, rear seat and spare removed, Bogarts all the way around. otherwise just a bolt on car with a stock unported eaton :rockon:

I've got a set of 26 ET DRAGS. I don't run no sissy ass ET Streets! :p haha jk, if your car runs like that in the video and you are on the Streets you definately should hang around because you should win the lowest ET and highest MPH for the street class. :beer: Not to mention I wanna see it go down the track.

Edit: Just saw you are going down Sat and not Fri. :(

that pass was on 28/10.5 et drags. you wanna see it go down the track come on out Saturday if your free. I'll probably be the only one there with a black 03 Cobra :beer:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding someone, but that's not what Stampede was stating. I believe he was stating to shift at or near redline and that is what has worked best for him.

What you are saying is what Mark and I spoke about.

I must be lost somewhere. :shrug::??:

+1

what i was trying to and what I think he was trying to say was your better off holding the gear so when you hit the next gear your already above the tq peak and going into the rpm range where the hp takes over,based on where that engine makes power, which is why I put my hp and tq peaks. in my personal experience your better off shifting a little later then too early. That's what I used to do when I was running mod motor and open comp classes during qualifying was shift 300 rpm short and lose a little over 1/10 in the 1/4 :beer:

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I have never ever ever ever experienced a higher than normal trap speed from spinning. I think this is a myth. Infact with my Cobra the highest trap speed ever was on a 1.5 60'. Here are two timeslips from the 5.0. Notice the 60' and the trap speed.

0119091433.jpg

The 5.0's powerband peaked at 4,800rpms @ 507rwtq and at 6,000rpms redline the power was 430rwhp. Riding in the car you could feel the car pulling like a train at 5,000rpms and after that it was just running out of breath because of the combination of the N/A cam and the long runner intake. Certain situations the higher rpm you can shift the faster it will be. My Procharged Cobra was that way, if I could have shifted at 8,000rpms I swear it would still be pulling lol. But not all cars are setup this way, my 5.0 was a great example. Now the new motor, you can bet your ass I will be ringing out those gears! :rockon:

Look at your 1/8mph difference. Its lower when you hooked. Its just has a higher trap speed cause you probably shifted into 4th at a different rpm or shifted faster.

-Mark

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
what i was trying to and what I think he was trying to say was your better off holding the gear so when you hit the next gear your already above the tq peak and going into the rpm range where the hp takes over,based on where that engine makes power, which is why I put my hp and tq peaks. in my personal experience your better off shifting a little later then too early. That's what I used to do when I was running mod motor and open comp classes during qualifying was shift 300 rpm short and lose a little over 1/10 in the 1/4 :beer:
This is the part that made me think you two were saying something different....

IAll I have to back it up is years of brackets and trying different things and KNOWING I've NEVER run a quicker ET shifting below redline in any car.

Either way.....K's gonna toy around with differe SPs and see what works for him. :lol::beer:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Look at your 1/8mph difference. Its lower when you hooked. Its just has a higher trap speed cause you probably shifted into 4th at a different rpm or shifted faster.

-Mark

Exactly my point. The car is so peaky and it revs so fast that if you don't hit the same shift point around 5,200rpms it WILL make a difference in the run. Had I shifted at 6,000rpms I bet the car would have done good to run 115mph.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I think you missed mine. lol. You spun on the slip on left and your mph was higher in the 1/8th than when you hooked and your mph was lower. That's what Stampede was trying to point out.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
MPH in the 1/4th did not change at all. Spinning increases your MPH over hooking is false. If you're going to say the 1/4th mile trap speed is higher because of a different 4th gear rpm or a faster shift the same can be said about the 2nd gear shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Friday if I run the car and I get enough runs, I'm going to do this...

Run the car shifting where I think it should be shifted

Run the car shifting at redline in every gear

Run the car doing no burnout and trying for a 2.5 60' to see if the car traps a 115mph trap speed because of spinning

Should put to rest everything in this thread.

ImMACHnU03

I race in Heels!
Established Member
Stopsign32v do you plan on bracket racing on a regular basis at your local track?

No we don't plan to bracket race. I know that K doesn't enjoy bracket racing. He is just driving my car at the track until I feel comfortable enough to go down the track. I can drive the hell out of my car anywhere else...just something about the track makes me nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread