Opinions on Torco Octane Booster

Joey8

Established Member
Here's a background story of my situation. Recently, I datalogged my car with my VMP tune. Sent the logs to Justin and he saw some knocking activity up top and 29* of timing at some points. He sent me a revision and pulled some timing and the car still runs like a raped ape even with the "reduced" timing. The tune is for 93 octane but as I found out reading the forums you don't always get true 93 octane especially here on the east coast, hence why i could have been seeing some knocking (btw knock was showing -3.5 - - 1.5 between 4.5k - 6.5k rpms.) Im far from a tuning guru so idk what that really means but obviously Justin knows his sh*t and felt the need to pull timing. Basically my question is will adding a half can of torco after my fill up do me any good in terms of achieving a true 93 octane read or maybe even higher? It is worth going through the trouble and money of adding torco after each fill up. Now say i add the torco and now im running 96 octane on a 93 tune. Will that screw things up or what? I don't race often, maybe go to the track twice a month or so but I certainly like to get on it at times. What do you guys think? :shrug:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
been using a can on every fill up for a few weeks now. it works pretty nice.

zachcrosen

Established Member
Just wondering if you get gas from a top tier station like Shell if you are more likely to get actually 93 octane? I've been running nothing but Shell since my install and Justin has never mentioned knock in my logs.

numbnutz

Established Member
I asked Shaun as well about Torco after installing my Paxton and was told it is good as an alternative for race gas but not to use it all the time as he's seen deposits and rough running from prolonged use.

NickSezz

Established Member
I would not recommend long term use either. That said we would never run any additive in any of our cars. Ever...

The exhaust side of things will start to look like this:

torco_spark_plug.jpg

mhyjek

Established Member
Here's a background story of my situation. Recently, I datalogged my car with my VMP tune. Sent the logs to Justin and he saw some knocking activity up top and 29* of timing at some points. He sent me a revision and pulled some timing and the car still runs like a raped ape even with the "reduced" timing. The tune is for 93 octane but as I found out reading the forums you don't always get true 93 octane especially here on the east coast, hence why i could have been seeing some knocking (btw knock was showing -3.5 - - 1.5 between 4.5k - 6.5k rpms.) Im far from a tuning guru so idk what that really means but obviously Justin knows his sh*t and felt the need to pull timing. Basically my question is will adding a half can of torco after my fill up do me any good in terms of achieving a true 93 octane read or maybe even higher? It is worth going through the trouble and money of adding torco after each fill up. Now say i add the torco and now im running 96 octane on a 93 tune. Will that screw things up or what? I don't race often, maybe go to the track twice a month or so but I certainly like to get on it at times. What do you guys think? :shrug:
You know when you see- knock in the newer versions of live link that the car is adding timing via the knock sensors look at the overall timing when you see negative knock I bet you your global numbers are greater at that point.

REDNIGHTMARE

Established Member
Just wondering if you get gas from a top tier station like Shell if you are more likely to get actually 93 octane? I've been running nothing but Shell since my install and Justin has never mentioned knock in my logs.

+1. Nothing touches my car but shell and my data logs always look good

2012csgt

Established Member
Log it on torco and verify that octane is the true reason for the knock activity

True!

You know when you see- knock in the newer versions of live link that the car is adding timing via the knock sensors look at the overall timing when you see negative knock I bet you your global numbers are greater at that point.

True! showing a -1.5 is adding timing not taking away.

I would not recommend long term use either. That said we would never run any additive in any of our cars. Ever...

The exhaust side of things will start to look like this:

torco_spark_plug.jpg

Those plugs look SEXY!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
With torco you will need plugs replaced sooner than without it. There are lots of people Hsu g it though. Until I can run e85 I will keep using it. Not my favorite thing to do but a little bit of safety buffer is worth new plugs more often.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I had a previous high boost turbo car with a questionable of the shelf tune that would only run on Shell 93, anything else and it felt like it would start to dump timing. Of course I've also heard that 93 is sold wholesale and the only difference at a Shell or Chevron is they dump their additives into the in-ground tank at the station.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I've used it in a couple cars and just change the plugs more often. I've never seen any hard evidence that it actually hurts anything.

BMR Tech

I have run it on several cars, but, not with a 2011+ car.

That said, I have never seen any ill effects - BUT I don't put much mileage on my cars.

I have friends who religiously run it for years and years, with no issues.

"Scotmach" on this forum ran it for many years in his 25+PSI Whippled Mach 1, without issues. IIRC, he would run like 48-64 oz per tank. lol

scotmach

Established Member
Yep, as Kelly stated I ran in on my Mach 1 for years. All I had to do was change the plugs more often. I used 32 oz. of Torco for every 5 gallons of 93. With over 25 lbs. of boost my options were limited even after pullying it down.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Yep, as Kelly stated I ran in on my Mach 1 for years. All I had to do was change the plugs more often. I used 32 oz. of Torco for every 5 gallons of 93. With over 25 lbs. of boost my options were limited even after pullying it down.

well that just makes me feel better. need to order more torco soon. only have two bottles left. a tank lasts me about two week so 20 bucks a fill up is not so bad. im adding a can to 16 gallons which only gives me around 98 octane or so which is not to bad.

BMR Tech

Just to let you guys know, on my Cobra with 21 PSI, I have been using the Lucas Octane Booster. It has MMT as well. I have checked my plugs several times, and they only have a slight hint of orange to them.

Anyhow, it can be had pretty much everywhere. Advance, AZone, etc etc...

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Just to let you guys know, on my Cobra with 21 PSI, I have been using the Lucas Octane Booster. It has MMT as well. I have checked my plugs several times, and they only have a slight hint of orange to them.

Anyhow, it can be had pretty much everywhere. Advance, AZone, etc etc...

how much does it cost? and do you know how much it raises the octane?

Users who are viewing this thread