Opinions on NA cams

PSNOUS

Established Member
Wanting opinions on my cams.

First of my build up is stock 01 block bored .20 over, JE lightweight forged 11:1 pistons, Eagle lightweight forged H beam rods, ARP hardware.

The rest of the stuff: longtubes, stock 3650, stock IRS with 373's and 03 half shafts, March U/D pulleys

The cams I have(bought used at a great price) are Comp Cams Xtreme XE

Specs intake duration @.50 234
exhaust duration @ .50 232
advertised intake duration 269
' 'exhaust 267
Intake valve lift with factory rocker arms .475
Exhaust .450
Lobe separation 114*

Going with the springs and retainers recommended by Comp Cams
Springs
seat load 90lbs @1.470
open load 252lbs @0.970
coil bind 0.900
rate 324 lbs/in

I have a few guys telling me I'll hate these cams and that they will have no drivability but then I've had others saying I'll love them and that they'll scream.........

I know a guy with the cams below these and the car won't idle and wants to die all the time but otherwise it screams. I think a good tuner will be able to work out any driveability issues. Car will be NAmostly but can't rule out a shot of juice when needed

Any thoughts and/or opinions?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The driveability with those cams will be good. I know guys running cams with over 240 degree cams and they have only minor driveability issues, at 234 you will have none. If you know someone with cams less aggressive and have issues they need to get a new tuner. My cams had 220 degrees, idled smooth, had very hgih vacuum and zero driveability issues.

To get the most out of them you will need a ported intake and 30lb injectors.

Last edited:

PSNOUS

Established Member
The driveability with those cams will be good. I know guys running cams with over 240 degree cams and they have only minor driveability issues, at 234 you will have none. If you know someone with cams less aggressive and have issues they need to get a new tuner. My cams had 220 degrees, idled smooth, had very hgih vacuum and zero driveability issues.

To get the most out of them you will need a ported intake and 30lb injectors.

Thanks. The heads will be ported, may see what can be done with the intake. I have 03 Cobra 39lb injectors and will be getting the GT fuel pump. I figured a good tuner would make all the difference. Where do you think my power band will be at?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Thanks. The heads will be ported, may see what can be done with the intake. I have 03 Cobra 39lb injectors and will be getting the GT fuel pump. I figured a good tuner would make all the difference. Where do you think my power band will be at?
380-385rwhp and no need for a GT fuel pump at that power level. A ported intake will get you 10-15rwhp across the entire range. Nazman and myself both make them.

PSNOUS

Established Member
380-385rwhp and no need for a GT fuel pump at that power level. A ported intake will get you 10-15rwhp across the entire range. Nazman and myself both make them.

I was just upgrading the pump as a safety measure and to make me feel better for times I decide to squirt it. I was wondering what my rpm range will be.

How much for the intake, core charge etc.........?

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
which Comp p/n are these. I am going to eventually do a H/C to my 01 (Staying N/A) and im trying to figure what is streetable with good power under 6K RPM besides FR500s.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
they are the 106400's ....I had some idle issues and the only issue I have now is when I stop my idle hangs @ 1500 for 10 sec then falls.....u'll like'em

Jamie R.

Established Member
So ya'll think this set of comp cams, ported intake, and injectors will get ya close to 400 at the wheels? I am shifting now at 6800 with the stock long block so where would I be shifting at with a set of cams. I would like to stay N/A but I thought it would be hard to get to close to 400 at the wheels N/A with basically cams and a ported intake. Take it easy.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I looked at those cams as well. I think you'll like them. I went FR500's since I got a screamin deal on the whole kit. Install coming this summer. The GT pump may be overkill, but it's cheap insurance if you want to spray it. I'm doing it as well. You'll leave alot on the table if you don't port the intake or get an FR500 or Sully. With the Sully you'll need to spin to 7500 or so, but you're bottom end should hold that now. You will get better driveability out of a ported stocker or FR500 though. The Sully gives up a bit down low.

It will be a bit different but, 230-235 duration at .050 seems to be the best street number. Bikes really wake up at that number and so do push rods. Plus, I think the driveability issues get blown out of proportion too. It's like how people say these cars have no torque. They way people talk, you'd think you have to keep the revs at 4 grand just to keep moving. It's really not that bad. It's no 500 inch long stroke big block, but it's no high strung 4 banger either. A good tuner will set you straight.

PSNOUS

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. I think they'll be just fine myself but wanted some input from others. I will most likely go with the stock ported intake. What should I do for TB and MAF? Stay stock or.........?

Jamie R.

Established Member
You might want to try a Lightning mass air meter. Ben picked up power on the dyno with one.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
+1 gains with tb's on na motors are arguable. You might get 2 hp, which can be attributted to error. You might gain hp by changing nothing also. You might as well get a 03 MAF to go with the injectors, they are only about 100 bucks used.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Really? Even with everything I'll be doing and the ported stock heads and intake?

A MAF and TB may provide a total of 5rwhp at that power level. However, for the money a lightning or 03/04 Cobra MAF is a good option...just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread