Opinions on Heat/Sound Deadner

greengt88

Established Member
In an effort to combat the heat coming from the trans tunnel and drivers floor area, I have decided to apply some sort of heat shield/sound deadner material.....
I have it narrowed down to Lizard Skin Ceramic, DynaMat Xtreme, and Dyna Pad....
Has anyone used any of these? My car is an 04' Cobra Convertible. I has all the squeeks and rattles typical of the cars. I am concerned with not adding much extra weight. So Lizard Skin is probably my 1st choice. Id like to see some thoughts on these products. I'm probably looking for more heat protection than sound reduction. Thanks in advance.

Jefe

Established Member
For heat protection you would be better off getting under the car and using a spray on insulator above the trans/cats. Planning on doing that to mine one of these days

SVTDice

Established Member
For heat protection you would be better off getting under the car and using a spray on insulator above the trans/cats. Planning on doing that to mine one of these days

I thought Lizard skin is spray on insulation?

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
ever consider fatmat? quite cheep and works great ive used it quite a bit on previous cars of mine and my friends fox interior is completely covered in it made a HUGE difference in heat and sound. all the bad noises stay out all you hear is the wonderful exhaust tone lol
search fat mat on ebay for cheepest price $70 will get you 50 SQ. FT. of their basic stuff many price options/thicknesses available, alot of stereo shops use it works just as good if not better than dyna-mat just without the price for a name!

greengt88

Established Member
used fatmat in the past....worked well, but didn't adhere well, and smelled like tar for months afterwards....i did spend almost 10hrs scraping and removing the factory sound deadner, vacuming and scrubbing floor with simple green before applying the fatmat, which took another 5hrs. An easier alternative would be the spray on stuff.

Tractionless1

Established Member
What's this heat everyone speaks of? I'm I not feeling it due to the ambient temp. in Florida typically being higher than the NE? Not too worried about the sound here I like hearing the workings of the machine!

greengt88

Established Member
I just moved from ft. Lauderdale to pennsylvania after 8 yrs.....u never noticed the heat coming off the floor and trans area in the drivers seat? I did my entire fox as stated b4 with the fatmat....and yes it did reduce heat and noise, but the smell was awful. And it did start peeling after a few months, not everyhere but in certain areas that weren't totally flat, mainly over rear wheel housings and on firewall behind the dash. My fox was totally gutted except the dash when this was done, so we covered everything. Spray stuff seems way easier and much less time consuming to apply....any other alternatives to the lizard skin....I did start reading the thread that was posted, but it is as stated 15pgs long, and in 1st post the guy uses some latex house paint and ceramic micro balls.....that seemed kinda cheesy to me.

greengt88

Established Member
My next step will be finding some carpet, hate ACC carpet. Didn't fit right, had to cut holes for everything and still had seams/wrinkles and thin spots in it after laying out for a day and then ironing.....FYI Ford has discontinued carpet for our cars according tp Tousley Ford Parts Dept. Any help in this department?

94-427

Established Member
I have used a product found at your loacal building supply called Storm Gard
look for it in the roofing section has a sticky side similer to dyna-mat
but weight is a lot less

Jefe

Established Member
Avoid asphalt based products in the interior. Butyl based is the way to go

Driver500

Established Member
I used dynamat for my car. It made a difference in both heat and noise, but not OMG improvement. It's a lot of work for not a huge gain, but it is an improvement.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
They say you can use latex paint with ceramic beads mixed in (an assortment of different size beads are best from what I've been told to cover a different range of frequencies) to replicate lizard skin. I need to use an insulator for my Jeep but I'm not running a carpet. I worry about the strength of latex paint if it would have to stand up to the abuse of boots and water and what not. I considered putting a rubberized undercoating over it, but it might react chemically, and the coating is only as strong as its weakest layer (latex). I'm curious about putting ceramic beads in a rubberized undercoating instead, although the rubber might be too rigid and not insulate enough.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have used a product found at your loacal building supply called Storm Gard
look for it in the roofing section has a sticky side similer to dyna-mat
but weight is a lot less

I was wondering if anyone has tried that. I just used it on my roof, and had some left that I was considering trying out. Does it have the tar smell that the op was complaining about?

greengt88

Established Member
I have seen the Lowe's/Homo Depot tar paper stuff, it is asphalt based. Yes you will have tar smell. Cheap but not the right stuff. The Ceramic balls are called "Micro Balloons", I read a huge thread about this as well. I'm not comfortable using the latex absed paint. I'm not sure what kind of temps that will endure. Butyl based is the way to go. I may just end up eating it and using dynamat and dynaliner, along with mass backed carpet. but i refuse to install the carpet.

94-427

Established Member
I have installed the storm gaurd in 3 cars no smell [just a little for first 3 days] just less heat and noze works great and weighs less
LOOK at this product befor dismissing!!!
I am in south texas very hot and humind.

Users who are viewing this thread