Opinions on future career options?

The Grey Beast

Established Member
There is a lot of money in the medical field, but idk if i can see myself working in that field really, i just think i would get bored with it rather quickly

Rpunisher

Established Member
i took up auto mechanics in high school and always grew up around cars (runs in the fam), did the whole auto mechanic and i started to hate cars doing it day in and out. I made a switch to doing electric utility work(people you pay your electric bill to) and i love it, i do both underground and overhead high voltage electric. You just gotta find out whats right for you.

The Grey Beast

Established Member
i took up auto mechanics in high school and always grew up around cars (runs in the fam), did the whole auto mechanic and i started to hate cars doing it day in and out. I made a switch to doing electric utility work(people you pay your electric bill to) and i love it, i do both underground and overhead high voltage electric. You just gotta find out whats right for you.

I have a friend that pretty well is exactly the same scenario, his dad had a small shop, worked for him, then got tired of it and went into telephone utility work and that's what he has been doing for quite a few years, very similar stories there it seems ha

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Same here.. When i was 20 joined the Army because I wanted to jump out of planes didnt even think of what I would be doing when I got out. Although I am proud of my service I wish I wouldve done something more translated to the civilian world. Now im almost 30 and in the aviation industry not enjoying it and thinking about going back to school for something im unsure of.

Wish you the best in finding what you want to do

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Your 17, no one knows WTF they want to do at that age. Relax, go chase some tail for the next year and sleep till 10 on the weekends while you still can.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
hang that up dude, you can't make all that much working on cars. I can't remember the program, but one of my best friends graduated doing some nascar education, cost him lots of loot. I think he was focused on driveline and chassis design and theory or some shit like that. ASE certified in all kinds of shit too....I'll have to ask what he has, he works at a chevy dealer making like 20 an hour as a troubleshooter. he is damn good. he is working on a frame and cage design for my modified I'll be running next year. scary smart guy when it comes to cars....I usually go to him with any questions. but the money just isn't in that industry unless you can get your hands into some high end place or a very popular performance place.

The Grey Beast

Established Member
hang that up dude, you can't make all that much working on cars. I can't remember the program, but one of my best friends graduated doing some nascar education, cost him lots of loot. I think he was focused on driveline and chassis design and theory or some shit like that. ASE certified in all kinds of shit too....I'll have to ask what he has, he works at a chevy dealer making like 20 an hour as a troubleshooter. he is damn good. he is working on a frame and cage design for my modified I'll be running next year. scary smart guy when it comes to cars....I usually go to him with any questions. but the money just isn't in that industry unless you can get your hands into some high end place or a very popular performance place.

Thanks for the feedback man, but i mean if ya could make 20 an hour and then do your own stuff on the side for people you would be makin okay money really right? :S not arguing or anything at all, just throwin that in for discussion ha

thundermax

Established Member
I was in the same situation as you at 18 then I went through automotive school. I was top of the class in all areas; I got picked up by BMW, went through master tech program with BMW training. After that started to work at a high end dealership and I have been doing it for a few years now and all I can say is it's not worth it. All of the: time, money spent on training, tools, relocating ext..

I have had good weeks and bad weeks and at the end of the month it all averages out. New cars and cpo warranty pretty much kill your chances at making money, and being at a higher end dealership 90% of the business is new cars or certified pre owned. Most of the older cars that you can make money on go to the independents.

You will find youself working on: Water leaks, convertible top problems, radio problems, squeaks/rattles, wind noises, peeling interior trim items, headlight/tail light problems, evaporative system leaks, no problem found complaints, ashtrays/cigarette lighter sockets, getting screwed on pre-sold accessory instalations, rebuilding sunroof frames, wheel bearings, cars that crash during programming and just about every type of shit job that is out there you will be working on.

The warranty labor times are a joke anymore; they cut the customer pay times that you can make money on, just to get those cars in the shop. Then you have to stay on top of all your training with all the new models coming out and go to classes on them.

HoustonGT

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback man, but i mean if ya could make 20 an hour and then do your own stuff on the side for people you would be makin okay money really right? :S not arguing or anything at all, just throwin that in for discussion ha

20/hour is nowhere near enough to live comfortably man, and I hope thats not where you are setting your goals.

If you got a mechanical engineering degree from a decent school, you'd be making roughly 56-60k your first year (27-29/hr) and wouldn't have to deal with fixing broken sunroofs and headlight bulbs :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread