Opinions on cosmetic changes

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Good afternoon everyone,

I have ordered a new front bumper for the cobra and while I have car in the shop I was thinking of having my boss fender flares and wing wrapped in gloss black. I have seen a few cobras with the boss and Saleen wings in black and really like it. Just curious how the fender flares might look? Anyone do me solid with some photo shop or know anyone who has done this? What do y'all think?

Here's a few shots of the car now

9a3ac5ec9f3cf9ca5e0cc14cc7807941.jpg

5ec3102af279d1d351f3af7f9935672a.jpg

Picture that is inspiring a change
acb334ce01a340e617bd803804efa1e6.jpg

Last edited:

96GT226410

Established Member
I'm a big fan of the black S281 wing. It's definitely on my future mods list. I saw a guy with a white convertible like mine with black rims, smoked headlights, black tail light bezels, black rear bumper letters, a black S281 wing, and a black license plate panel. I really liked it, and that's the look I'm going for. I'm not a huge fan of the fender flares, but to each their own. I wouldn't paint them a different color. Why are you getting a new bumper? Upgrade or replacement?

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Going to do the wing, cobra inserts, and bottom of the rear bumper in black, and not do the flares. Also ordered a tint kit for the brake and third tail lights, and smoked headlight set. Pics to come.

New bumper is a replacement to get rid of the license plate, and the original is starting to sag a bit. Price drop on Amazon encouraged me pulling the trigger haha

Last edited:

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
The stock does definitely look good, but I love the way the boss wing carries out the lines of the car.

Unfortunate update: Front bumper did not come out exactly matching the car, the yellow is off, going back in for a repaint. Shop also messed up getting the tail light tint on so that didn't happen.

Headlights are on and look good and cobra inserts are done though. Wing and rear bumper to come.

Last edited:

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Appreciate the comment! Indeed, his inserts and wrap are carbon. Going with black on the yellow one to carry out the theme with the top and the wheels.

Front bumper should be done today/tomorrow, then off to a different shop for the wrap job.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
CY is a bitch to paint. Hopefully they don't blend your fenders and not tell you.

I sprayed a saleen wing for mine a few months back and while it matches in the light, still not happy with it in the shop.

Make sure you look at it in the sun as well as in the shop, check your fog light holes and grill opening for dry spray (grainy) and/or runs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Luckily they only had the new bumper to spray and the gas cap, so no blending. Ya, you can really tell in the white fluorescent light in the garage that its off; looks more taxi yellow.

I am actually now just having them fill the holes in the original bumper and spray that area, and call it a day. Got a side profile pic with the new wing?

Edit: pic of the bumper
61141d4a0c34d31418201b69380eb3ec.jpg

amorrow

Established Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's not far off - it's hard to judge by pictures. As my '98 has aged, I can see a contrast between the sheetmetal panels, and the hood and bumper covers. This is a car that's spent its entire life garaged and currently has 14K miles on it. Like the old Shelby's with fiberglass parts, a bit of a mismatch is likely "correct". Lol

96GT226410

Established Member
Painting an older car like this can get difficult, unless you have a good paint guy. I have to get some paint work on mine done (probably next year). My front bumper has some paint spiderweb cracking, there's two chips down to metal above the windshield, the right front rocker cover is scratched with some red paint transferred into it, and the hood had some chips on it.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Good point amorrow; car is almost 20 years old, and you can tell the how the different materials have aged. One thing I did notice about the original bumper is it had the vin # stamped on it. Thought it would be nice to have that originality intact.

96GT, ya, I had this guy do some work on my DD and he did a good job, but as stated earlier I guess this is just a tough color to get right. Is yours laser red or bright red?

Thank you jmsa

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Your car looks great. I say keep it all yellow. The black s281 can look good, but sometimes it just looks like it was never painted the body color and they left it black.
Black fender flares, to me, would give the appearance of 4x4 fender flares on a big pickup truck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Going to do the wing, cobra inserts, and bottom of the rear bumper in black, and not do the flares. Also ordered a tint kit for the brake and third tail lights, and smoked headlight set. Pics to come.

New bumper is a replacement to get rid of the license plate, and the original is starting to sag a bit. Price drop on Amazon encouraged me pulling the trigger haha
I like your plan a lot. Are you still planning on doing the wing, inserts and bottom of the rear bumper? I think, too, that you're smart not to do the flares. That would kill it IMO. Post a photo of your Cobra after you finish the mods, if you do them. :)

By the way, that Terminator you posted is KILLER! Love it!

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Thanks guys. The inserts are actually done, I'll snap a shot shortly. Decided against doing the wing, but am going to the bottom of the bumper. Appt for rear bumper wrap is next week.

Users who are viewing this thread