Opinion on paying off Mortgage / financial opinion

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
These financial threads on SVTP crack me up. If I ever forget what site I'm on, all I have to do is read one of these.

Everyone here either knocks down 7 figures a year, owns multiple houses, and pays cash for everything...

OR

Makes 50K, and still manages to do the above.

Bingo.

Full disclosure... I DO NOT make 7 figures. lol

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Why does everyone always push going to talk to some kind of adviser?

You realize if they had any kind of real knowledge that could give them an edge, they wouldn't share it with anyone else, right? They'd be sitting on a beach somewhere, sipping mai tais, watching their cash grow. If you just want to bounce ideas off someone else, that's one thing. But I damn sure wouldn't do what they tell me just because they're supposed to be "smarter".

No offense to anyone here, but I'll take my chances "bouncing" ideas off a professional as opposed to a bunch of dudes on a car forum.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Bingo.

Full disclosure... I DO NOT make 7 figures. lol
I'm glad you guys find a little humor in these threads. If you don't have humor what do you have? Everyone seems to be a millionaire lol.

I'm trying to hit that mark between savings and home equity by the time I'm 45. That's why I started this thread. I don't want to do it using bitcoin like everyone else I work with. Time to buckle down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
No offense to anyone here, but I'll take my chances "bouncing" ideas off a professional as opposed to a bunch of dudes on a car forum.
Yes and no. I have Co workers I've seen make A Lot of money in just a couple years using strickly online advice. In fact he just picked up his GT3 a few days ago and is paying off his mortgage.

95c20e7a37bbad51505e31fae910deb7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Yes and no. I have Co workers I've seen make A Lot of money in just a couple years using strickly online advice. In fact he just picked up his GT3 a few days ago and is paying off his mortgage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

I get it, the problem is knowing which advice to take, and nobody wants to brag when they lose their ass over the bad advice they got either.

Opinions are all over the map in here. Good luck...

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Look up what the tax will be like and what the mandatory withdraw will do to you with the inheritance 401k. I would talk with a financial pro quickly.

It may be smarter to cash it out now, and move it into a real estate vehicle so that you can change it into capital gains tax code money instead of personal income tax code money.

15-20% vs 29-39% investment, and bracket dependent.

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
Everybody keeps telling me to sell the car but what do I do for a replacement vehicle? I need to drive something. Plus I just bought the car a few months ago so I'm going to be upside down in it a little bit..... even with the 5K I put down

Nobody said SELL it...pay the damned thing off.

Voltwings

Established Member
First and foremost i did not read every response here. I was a financial adviser years ago, let me see if i can remember everything, but ultimately cashing 401k to pay off a house is not a good idea.

You'll incur an upfront tax penalty (assuming you are younger than 59 and 1/2) because your typical retirement account is funded with pre tax funds, and obviously has grown tax free. The upfront penalty is 10%, but that money will also count as taxable income for the year and push you into a higher bracket, so if you do this, you will be paying taxes on ~180K for that year, not just your normal 80. That is a lot of money to just throw away, and a lot more in taxes and penalties than you would otherwise be paying in interest on your mortgage, especially when you consider mortgage interest is tax deductible.

You also need to understand how compound interest works, and this is a strong market that can do wonders for a 401k, this is not the time to be pulling ~100k out. Not to mention depending on your age, ~275k a person really is not that much in the grand scheme of things. I'd just keep piling the money away and letting it do its thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread