Opinion needed: First Shelby GT500

svink32

Established Member
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been around the forums posting and what not. My last mustang was a '98 Cobra I sold 3 years ago or so and have been out of the game. I am looking at purchasing a new(er) Shelby and could use your thoughts and opinions.

There are two vehicles local to me I am interested in:

First is a blue with white stripe 2010 coupe-private sale, original owner, 3k miles, garage queen, excellent shape. Car is stock and has navigation, lifetime Sirius Radio, a car cover, and an extended warranty (of which I am unaware the exact details of). He allegedly had a buyer back out at $40k because they wanted a brand new one. He is asking $40k

Second is a white with baby blue stripe 2011 coupe, dealer, 11k miles, 1-owner. Car does have some suspension and exhaust mods, navigation in there as well. They are asking $39,900

My questions are, what is a fair price for these cars, what is exactly covered in the extended warranties, and what are some things I should look for/ask when viewing the vehicles.

My favorite right now is the 2010. Low miles, purchasing from the owner, extended warranty. My only hesitation is paying that much money for a vehicle that is 3-4 years old. But will this extended warranty keep my mind at bay? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!

Steve

PRP

Established Member
First is a blue with white stripe 2010 coupe-private sale, original owner, 3k miles, garage queen, excellent shape. Car is stock and has navigation, lifetime Sirius Radio, a car cover, and an extended warranty (of which I am unaware the exact details of). He allegedly had a buyer back out at $40k because they wanted a brand new one. He is asking $40k

Second is a white with baby blue stripe 2011 coupe, dealer, 11k miles, 1-owner. Car does have some suspension and exhaust mods, navigation in there as well. They are asking $39,900

My favorite right now is the 2010. Low miles, purchasing from the owner, extended warranty. My only hesitation is paying that much money for a vehicle that is 3-4 years old. But will this extended warranty keep my mind at bay? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!
Steve

I'd go with the '11 (and I own a '10).

It has the aluminum block and EPAS with a better weight bias than the 2010.

It's 1 year newer and if "asking price" is $39.9K, that's not what they're planning on selling it for.

You can purchase the extended warranty if you want one.

Phill

Clemson

Established Member
The 11 is an all around better car. More power, better fuel econ, lighter, better weight distro, rides better, handles better and so on....

91z28350

Established Member
Definitely the 11, the block alone is 100+# savings. Ask yourself honestly, will you be modifying the car? If yes, don't bother with the extended warranty. If not, than they are nice to have.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The 11 sounds like the better deal, forget about the warranty because odds are you will mod the car and void the warranty or get rid of it before you ever use it. The only common issues with the newer cars is the 1-2 shift grind at high rpm shifts.

breoland

Established Member
hands down the 11 because of the alluminum block and the 2.75 exhaust.
no offense to the people that bought the 10 but its going to be the bastard of the years

my favorite is the 07-09, most retro look and to me the nicest..you can find one for 32000 and have 8k to spend on mods:)

svink32

Established Member
The 11 sounds like the better deal, forget about the warranty because odds are you will mod the car and void the warranty or get rid of it before you ever use it. The only common issues with the newer cars is the 1-2 shift grind at high rpm shifts.

I agree and thank you for your help! I guess I'm just curious how dependable these cars are if I'm driving it 5-7k miles per year, if I should expect any trouble from an '11 with 11k miles. Even still, I'm sure there's leftover original warranty for at least a year from the '11 no? Although I can afford the vehicle I don't want to be worried something will bust on it, when I could buy say a '14 GT brand new with full piece of mind. I have my faith in these cars though.

svink32

Established Member
Thank you all for your input! It is greatly appreciated and needed.

This is exactly what I was looking for, I never really like purchasing the first year of a new style for such reasons. Looks like an '11 or '12 is the way to go. I like the 07-09's but man I love the 10-13's styling. My thought on the '10 was it's exactly the color combo I prefer and very low miles along with the extended warranty.

91z28350

Established Member
12 with 28k miles, only thing that has broke was the rear end and clutch was slipping, but with 800+ ehp and drag racing, can't blame that on Ford.

svink32

Established Member
Thanks guys!

Edit: the 2011 actually has 20k miles and is asking price $40,996. I got it confused with a 2010 which has 11k miles for $39,900 because they're exactly the same color combo. $40,000 is pretty much my cap dollar amount for an '11-'12 and I would like the miles to be under 15k, preferably under or around 10k. I know it's not easy finding these deals but they are out there.

My other question is this, I understand the '11-'12 is superior to the '10 for various reasons, but is it really worth $4-$5k more if I don't plan on heavy modding? Example, if I could score this '10 with 3k miles for $37,000 is it worth waiting on an '11-'12 with say 15k miles at $40-$42,000 (assuming I'm willing to come up a few more thousand in a month or so)?

Nsssane1

Established Member
I have a 10, Id get the 10. You could buy some much better aftermarket parts for the 3k you saved. And much nicer low mileage car. I wanted the 10 only made one year.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I think the 11 is a better deal. Many more amenities with the 11. The 10 is at a great price though now that I have read your edit. I guess it can come down to what you want to do in the long run. The 11 has many options on it that I find much nicer...electronic steering, alternator boost a pump feature, better stock exhaust, bigger UCA's..just to name a few.

If I had the choice I would probably go with the 11 because you can also talk the dealer down a notch or so. The 10 is nice low miles, but 20k is not killer miles on a 11.

Users who are viewing this thread